Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am signed up for the Summit and here is the trail schedule that I have signed up for:

Thursday: Alpine Loop (Engineer and Cinnamon Passes) at: 7:00 AM
Friday: California Pass and Corkscrew Gulch at: 9:30 AM
Saturday: Imogene Pass to Ophir Pass at: 9:30 AM

I live in Iowa at an elevation of 870 feet. I know that we (two kids and a wife that's afraid of heights) will be going above 12,000 feet. The most offroading I have done is driving through a snowy pasture and hitting the "B" level roads for a little mud action. I have NO rock experience.

This is my daily driver so I don't want to break anything. My wife is going with, but I am going to have to have her sit in the backseat or something.

Does anyone think I bit off more than I can chew or should I be okay? IS there anywhere that requires a spotter or anywhere that I will dragging bottom? I have 3 inches of lift and 34 inch tires.

I can't wait, but I worked my butt off convincing the wife that this is the vacation for us this year so I don't want to have to wonder if I did the right thing. Remember I really have no offroading experience. Are we going to be okay?

Jared

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
You will be fine. You are going to have a blast. Make sure you take a camera with the largest memory card possible. I took close to 800 pics last year.
Your rig will have no probs. Stock FJ's have no probs. For the most part the trails are scenic, not technical. You will have a well qualified trail leader on each run.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm going for the first time, and almost went last year when I got my FJ. I have talked to many folks who have gone about it though. From what I hear, a stocker would be fine. Mostly scenic trails (which you want in Colorado!) without much challenge. All runs are groups so you will have plenty of others around to aid IF needed.

I think with your setup you will be fine. I have not heard of one person having an issue or breaking/getting recovered from the many I have talked to.

Maybe someone will chime in that has gone to confirm this. (edit: too late...Wilson just did!)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am signed up for the Summit and here is the trail schedule that I have signed up for:

Jared,

I am on the EXACT same dates/rides/times as you. Looks like we will be seeing each other at the Summit. I have not been to Summit but have wheeled countless rental SUVs in Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia & Alaska. All of these rides should be easy, you just need to get used to a lack of guide rails and you will be fine.

Ed

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
You guys will have a great time. Don't be concerned about whether your FJ can handle it. It can. The only things I'd be concerned about are being scared of heights and bad body mount rubs. If you need to trim the mounts do it now. The switchbacks will make for major rubbage.

·
Kokopelli Moderator
3,236 Posts
Jared,
I ran the Summit last year almost equipped the same as you are now. NO PROBLEMO! Just get ready for some GREAT times and even better SCENERY!

One day, there was a totally stock FJ in our group and navigated the whole thing just fine.

..........just as long as you stay out of the river crossings............right, Wilson? :)

·
Registered
277 Posts

I live in Iowa at an elevation of 870 feet. I know that we (two kids and a wife that's afraid of heights) will be going above 12,000 feet. The most offroading I have done is driving through a snowy pasture and hitting the "B" level roads for a little mud action. I have NO rock experience.

This is my daily driver so I don't want to break anything. My wife is going with, but I am going to have to have her sit in the backseat or something.

Does anyone think I bit off more than I can chew or should I be okay? IS there anywhere that requires a spotter or anywhere that I will dragging bottom? I have 3 inches of lift and 34 inch tires.

I can't wait, but I worked my butt off convincing the wife that this is the vacation for us this year so I don't want to have to wonder if I did the right thing. Remember I really have no offroading experience. Are we going to be okay?

Jared
at any point, do NOT be affraid to ask for a spot/spotter, but from what everyones saying, the trails are pretty tame, just have fun.. :rocker:

·
Premium Member
7,734 Posts
the summit is sweet, the hardest part of the hardest trail can be done in a bone stock FJ. The intimidation of the sheer drops is the only issue for some. Have a blast man!

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
As others have said, all easy trails, more like gravel roads. Just a couple of spots on the trails you listed. The stock FJ will do fine. At any time ask for a spotter, everyone will help. I would say to be sure and have a CB. Not only to ask for a spotter, or to have the FJ behind you let you know where your tires are at, etc... but just to make general comments on the snow, sheep, and so on.

See ya in a few weeks!

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
If I can get in there early this year I'd like to take a couple days and explore the non-Summit trails/lesser known trails and some of the legal spur trails.

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts

Jared
MAN, am I JEALOUS.....I ALMOST had the wife convinced....but she asked that I wait until next year, when our son will be 5 1/2...she wants to go, I want to go, but she is weary of a road trip from NC to CO....I even offered to cash in FF miles and fly her and the boy to Albuquerque, pick them up and make the 5 hr drive to Ouray....but, she has plans for the FF miles (her parents anniversary in NYC) asked that I wait until next year........soooo....needless to say, I WANT to be there, but I will have to wait until next year......:mecry:

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
I am jealous too. Wish I could say I had been to Ouray but it is just too freakin far for me. I will try and suffice this week at Rausch Creek.... 4 days until 80 other FJs are all lined up to have a blast.

Enjoy Summit. Remember if you don't have pics it never happened!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I am jealous too. Wish I could say I had been to Ouray but it is just too freakin far for me. I will try and suffice this week at Rausch Creek.... 4 days until 80 other FJs are all lined up to have a blast.

Enjoy Summit. Remember if you don't have pics it never happened!!!!
It is quite far for me....but I have driven cross country, from Pennsylvania to California in the past....before the wife.....LOL. I have since taken her on a few "extended road trips" on a few vacations to hopefully "break her in", the wife that is...not the FJ.....:jester:

Seattle - Portland - Port Angeles, WA - Victoria, BC - Vancouver, BC - Seattle

San Fran - Napa Valley - Lake Tahoe - Reno, NV - Yosemite NP - Sequoia NP - Pacific Coast Hwy - San Fran.....

Entire Outer banks, South-North, NC

Just to name a few....so the FJC Summit next year is on the top of "our" lists......

:cheers:

·
Registered
838 Posts
you will have a blast, I have a serious fear of heights and made it down Blackbear with no problems. this is going to be our 3rd year and looking forward to it again. The Trail Leaders and Tail Gunners ( the last first and last rigs in your group will get you thru it with no problems look forward to seeing you there... it is addicting

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
you will have a blast, I have a serious fear of heights and made it down Blackbear with no problems. this is going to be our 3rd year and looking forward to it again. The Trail Leaders and Tail Gunners ( the last first and last rigs in your group will get you thru it with no problems look forward to seeing you there... it is addicting
You are NOT helping me cope......LOL....:jester:

·
Registered
936 Posts
:rocker: Will be on the same runs as you on Fri & Sat, I picked later start times this year so I wouldn't have to rush around as much. Starting early for the Alpine is a good idea, its a long day but alot of fun. Doing Black Bear on Thursday @ 9:30. Your FJ will be fine and if you have any questions ask the trail leader for help/advice, let him know its your first time out and they will keep a eye on you as well as the others on the trail run, FJ'ers take care of other FJ'ers. Definately get a CB (I have a hand held), being able to communicate adds alot of fun. See you at the summit!

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
MAN, am I JEALOUS.....I ALMOST had the wife convinced....but she asked that I wait until next year, .......I WANT to be there, but I will have to wait until next year......:mecry:
FJSummit 2011.......imagine that!:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts