Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has been many years since my last login! Life has been pretty busy, and the ol' FJ hasn't seen much off-road action lately. I've dedicated a lot of my time to building a replica F3 car from scratch, and that project has eaten much of my time. (Picture attached below) I am currently stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas, and moving into a much bigger house and can finally have my machine shop back.

I took the ol' FJ out last weekend and hammered pretty hard on it in the sand dunes. I guess I just remember having more power. That 4.0L just doesn't move these 35" BFG's like I remember. Even through 4.88 gears and lockers, the dunes just don't feel right.

So here we go, I'll jump right into it.

I am in the works of planning an entire power train swap from a 5.7L Tundra. Complete engine (supercharged, of course) , transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, rear axle (built with 4.88 gears and locker), front differential carrier (Tundra 9" with 4.88's and locker) front axle shafts with custom axles, and long travel front suspension.

I can already hear the naysayers. I've been searching V8 swapped FJ's and it seems the result is almost always the same; failed or incomplete projects. I've got the time (in between deployments and missions and such) and I've got a daily driver that isn't the FJ (Subaru BRZ!) and I've got a solid plan. Money isn't as much as an issue as it was ten years ago when I started my first few round of builds with the FJ. My current fabrication skills have me bulging with confidence.

So here are a few notes from my brainstorming sessions. Engine and transmission are a bit bigger (duh) and will likely require modifications to the interior space of the engine compartment. Not an issue, I planned on caging the engine compartment anyway to help mitigate my bulging fender tears anyway. I will be sourcing an entire wiring harness to run the engine, trans, transfer case, and all accessories. The Tundra rear axle is about 8" wider, which I want because it will match the additional track width of the long travel suspension up front. I will be heavily modifying the front end to fit the 9" Tundra clamshell assembly. I will be using Tundra CV joints, as well as modified Tundra knuckles and wheel bearings. I'll be moving up to 18" wheels anyway to clear the massive 15" wilwood rotors, so changing lug pattern wont be an issue. The length of the transmission and transfer case will likely impede on the factory fuel tank, so I will likely be fabricating my own fuel cell.

I will be spending the majority of the next year planning this out (another deployment...) but should be ready to start cutting and welding as soon as I get back. I'll have a lot of FJ parts to sell as well! Hopefully I can make some money back selling my engine, transmission, transfer case, 8.2 rear axle with 4.88 gears and arb locker, front clamshell with 4.88 gears and locker... and all the other bits and pieces I will be replacing.

Thanks for listening, I'm off to the Tundra forums to start sourcing my parts. Cheers.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
If you are going that extreme - why Tundra drive train/parts? just to keep it Toyota?

IMO with tundra swap you are entering waters that have been wadded in with less than spectacular results. Matching different electronics/managment sytems seems to be the crux of the swap.

If you are after power why not the LS? There is a ton of support for LS swaps and parts.

Just curious

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think the only law to watch out for is that the engine must be newer than the vehicle. So, that shouldn't be too hard with an older FJ.

Money resolves a lot of problems. And there will be a LOT of problems with this.

I would say the Toyota engines are more likely to have a match with other accessory bits (like 4 Runners running V8)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are going that extreme - why Tundra drive train/parts? just to keep it Toyota?

IMO with tundra swap you are entering waters that have been wadded in with less than spectacular results. Matching different electronics/managment sytems seems to be the crux of the swap.

If you are after power why not the LS? There is a ton of support for LS swaps and parts.

Just curious
I plan to use Tundra parts (or Sequoia) because all of Toyota's electronic control modules communicate using a similar CAN Bus system. Powertrain, transmission, transfer case, abs, dynamic control, SRS, and more... they all have to be talking to keep the individual systems working. A four wheel drive without dynamic stability control or ABS is not worth anything to me. Also, Tundra/Sequoia parts are very similar to FJ parts, just a lot larger, which means minimal modifications to get them to fit. Swapping a heavy duty rear axle is easy, finding a front independent section that can handle 550ft/lb or torque is a bit trickier.

LS was an idea I had (Actually a complete 500 hp LT1 swap), but I rabbit-holed that idea and came up with too many dead ends. I would have loved to use the 8L90E transmission. The ratios are great! But that means mixing and matching GM parts, plus GM makes terrible transmissions. The architecture for their control module communication is so problematic its amazing GM is able to make it work. I originally had the idea of swapping a front differential section from an Escalade, but quickly realized that was a horrible idea after reading about how failure prone they are on de-tuned engines not even leaving to road...

Used 5.7L Tundra/Sequoia engines are super easy to find, are highly tunable, and supercharger hungry. And when the project is over, I dig the idea of all the parts being (mostly) Toyota!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like it fits to me
Success!!

Is that yours? I plan on going with the 5.7L and the A760 6 speed automatic, and I'm sure I'll run into my own problems figuring it out. The 4.7L bolts right up to the stock A750 5 speed if I'm not mistaken. Any idea of the stock drivetrain was used?

I'm pretty sure 550ft/lbs of torque will rip the guts out the entire stock drivetrain.

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
No its not mine But yes you are correct it does bolt up .

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
Looks like it fits to me
That's the 4.7 v8 out of a GX470 - yes they fit.
He's trying to fit the 5.7 - out of a 200 series LC or Tundra - that's a big lump.

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
I plan to use Tundra parts (or Sequoia) because all of Toyota's electronic control modules communicate using a similar CAN Bus system. Powertrain, transmission, transfer case, abs, dynamic control, SRS, and more... they all have to be talking to keep the individual systems working. A four wheel drive without dynamic stability control or ABS is not worth anything to me. Also, Tundra/Sequoia parts are very similar to FJ parts, just a lot larger, which means minimal modifications to get them to fit. Swapping a heavy duty rear axle is easy, finding a front independent section that can handle 550ft/lb or torque is a bit trickier.

LS was an idea I had (Actually a complete 500 hp LT1 swap), but I rabbit-holed that idea and came up with too many dead ends. I would have loved to use the 8L90E transmission. The ratios are great! But that means mixing and matching GM parts, plus GM makes terrible transmissions. The architecture for their control module communication is so problematic its amazing GM is able to make it work. I originally had the idea of swapping a front differential section from an Escalade, but quickly realized that was a horrible idea after reading about how failure prone they are on de-tuned engines not even leaving to road...

Used 5.7L Tundra/Sequoia engines are super easy to find, are highly tunable, and supercharger hungry. And when the project is over, I dig the idea of all the parts being (mostly) Toyota!
You also have the GX570 & LC200 as options for donor engine/drivetrain/electronics.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Go big!!!! Put a Hellcat motor in there!!!!
No thank you, I will stay as far away as I can from Chrysler products! Just because it makes big horsepower doesn't mean it's not complete garbage. But, I would absolutely love the idea of making 700-800 horsepower if there was a way to reliably put it to the ground without spending over $100,000 on a race transmission. Pretty sure even the 8HP70 would eat its own guts out in the dirt...

Any vendors out there want to sponsor a 800 HP 5.7 3UR-FE build?

·
Registered
102 Posts
cheaper to piece it together or buy a complete truck off copart?: there are 2 pretty affordable 5.7's on there now although high mileage.

A v8 FJ would be ideal. I am growing tired of the v6 and thinking of moving on because of it.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
probably be a heck of a lot cheaper to put a supercharger on the existing motor and get a 30% hp increase (equal to the V8, but without its added mass)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts