Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
interesting read... but here's the thought I had a few days ago... the Lx450d or Lc200.. 4.5l twin turbo diesel Toyota motor.. stock its around 268hp, +479ftlb torque... 29mpg.(hwy). I've just started my research (have to source a motor to see its viability) power is cool.. but 870mile (more than double my current 410mile) range per (my 30gal) tank is (551 if u drain the stock 19gal) simply insane... I drive ALOT ...

(apologies my original conversion was off(now corrected).. the listed "combined" mpg is 24.759mpg) 2 independent tests actually gave a hwy measurement)

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
interesting read... but here's the thought I had a few days ago... the Lx450d or Lc200.. 4.5l twin turbo diesel Toyota motor.. stock its around 268hp, +479ftlb torque... 48mpg.(hwy). I've just started my research (have to source a motor to see its viability) power is cool.. but 1440mile range per (my 30gal) tank is (912 if u drain the stock 19gal) simply insane... I drive ALOT ...
Where did you get those mileage figures from?

·
Registered
31 Posts
interesting read... but here's the thought I had a few days ago... the Lx450d or Lc200.. 4.5l twin turbo diesel Toyota motor.. stock its around 268hp, +479ftlb torque... 48mpg.(hwy). I've just started my research (have to source a motor to see its viability) power is cool.. but 1440mile range per (my 30gal) tank is (912 if u drain the stock 19gal) simply insane... I drive ALOT ...
Where did you get those mileage figures from?

Apologies my original conversion was off (based on the 2 Au independent tests 29mpg hwy or 8.0l/100km) I've since edited the result... factory "combined" mpg is listed at 24.759 mpg 9.5l/100km

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
95.l/100km
Might need to relocate that decimal place too....
Factory figures are always ....a fit of fancy .... real world ...you would be lucky to get that.... even driving like granny may .... but its still worth investigating .... my only real concern is the switch to a diesel .... not really a comparison to compare diesel figures to petrol figures....
Cheers
Baz
:blueblob:

·
Registered
31 Posts
95.l/100km
Might need to relocate that decimal place too....
Factory figures are always ....a fit of fancy .... real world ...you would be lucky to get that.... even driving like granny may .... but its still worth investigating .... my only real concern is the switch to a diesel .... not really a comparison to compare diesel figures to petrol figures....
Cheers
Baz

that was android autocorrect... I typed it twice...

9point5L/100km (take that android)

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
Apologies my original conversion was off (based on the 2 Au independent tests 29mpg hwy or 8.0l/100km) I've since edited the result... factory "combined" mpg is listed at 24.759 mpg 9.5l/100km
Even that is wishful thinking.
Real world is probably closer to 12-13l/100km. Not a significant improvement over the 1GRFE. You'd be better off with long range tank(s) on the FJ and keeping the 1GRFE. If you want more power/torque, get the Raptor tune. These are infinitely more practical and significantly cheaper than a pie in the sky diesel swap.

I seriously don't get the US obsession with diesel. It sucks, it gels in low temperatures, it can't be stored because it suffers from mould & bacterial infections, it smells bad, and you can't get that stank out of your skin. It's better because the military uses diesel, right? Wrong on 2 counts - they don't use diesel at all - they use JP8 because it simplifies supply lines - one fuel for everything. OK so everything in Outback Australia is diesel, so it must be better? Nope - Same reason as the military, but with longer supply lines, so simpler is better. Yes, diesel will give a bit better economy overall in the real world, but it's really not worth doing a conversion.
The best fuel is the type that is readily available.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Yeah, although I wish I had better range, every time I price diesel versus equivalent gas vehicles, the extra purchase cost is too much to justify diesel, the payback isn't there for my needs.

And you're right, the one time I was behind a diesel vehicle on a trail I didn't like the stink. Although I will say the modern emission-controlled diesels stink a lot less than the older ones.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Real world is probably closer to 12-13l/100km. Not a significant improvement over the 1GRFE. You'd be better off with long range tank(s) on the FJ and keeping the 1GRFE. If you want more power/torque, get the Raptor tune. These are infinitely more practical and significantly cheaper than a pie in the sky diesel swap.

I seriously don't get the US obsession with diesel. It sucks, it gels in low temperatures,

1st I already have the long range tank.. increased my range from 250miles to 400miles.

2nd I live in Florida so temp is a non issue.

3rd if diesel is so inefficient why are all semi's diesel torque, range, reliability..

I drive 750-1500miles a week for work. I love my fj I'd prefer to increase its range an reduce maintenance mobil1 swaps monthly are just a headache... every 2.5 months would be much easier... as per the Diesel toys link.. they claim a key turn swap at about 25mpg (vs my 14.87) is worth it not too mention a 10k interval for oil change an 500k service (just put a new motor in mine.. rear end being replaced as I type this)

understand the US "emissions" restrictions on Toyota, VW, Mercedes diesels are really just a way to keep Americans buying inefficient US built diesels..

Mercedes bluetec diesel S Class boasts 32.4mpg. Similar reports of the Audi Q7 tdi... Vw Golf Tdi 41mpg highway. Who'd buy a US diesel 18mpg average if a Euro/Jap that had double the range an twice the reliability.. were available in the states..

My uncle has a 1985 500sel turbo diesel.. still running strong... +450k miles...

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts

I seriously don't get the US obsession with diesel. It sucks, it gels in low temperatures,

1st I already have the long range tank.. increased my range from 250miles to 400miles.

2nd I live in Florida so temp is a non issue.

3rd if diesel is so inefficient why are all semi's diesel torque, range, reliability..

I drive 750-1500miles a week for work. I love my fj I'd prefer to increase its range an reduce maintenance mobil1 swaps monthly are just a headache... every 2.5 months would be much easier... as per the Diesel toys link.. they claim a key turn swap at about 25mpg (vs my 14.87) is worth it not too mention a 10k interval for oil change an 500k service (just put a new motor in mine.. rear end being replaced as I type this)

understand the US "emissions" restrictions on Toyota, VW, Mercedes diesels are really just a way to keep Americans buying inefficient US built diesels..

Mercedes bluetec diesel S Class boasts 32.4mpg. Similar reports of the Audi Q7 tdi... Vw Golf Tdi 41mpg highway. Who'd buy a US diesel 18mpg average if a Euro/Jap that had double the range an twice the reliability.. were available in the states..

My uncle has a 1985 500sel turbo diesel.. still running strong... +450k miles...
This is going seriously OT now.
OP wants a 5.7l supercharged gas engine and running gear, so let's help him with that.

OP - are there any LC200 or Tundra write offs out there for a reasonable price?

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,396 Posts
...and OP said he wants to keep it all Toyota, so crate Chevy engines are also OT

:)
MY bad, misread, thought the OP was going 'OT' (over the top?), so unconventional, exaggerated, or excessive as to be considered outrageous, unbelievable, ridiculous, etc.

Blown AA fuel motor >:D would be OT.

I've had LSA on the brain lately, rode in a '66 Caprice (3700lbs) with an LSA crate motor. Impressed.

Sorry for straying from the path. :smile

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Here you go: get a wrecked Lexus LX570/LC200 (with the 5.7L engine), an '07 or so, with some miles and body damage wouldn't be all that expensive. Its a boxed frame (like FJ) with all of the electronic systems in place. Pop the FJ body onto the LX570 frame, shorten the rear rails and figure out the fuel tank, supercharge the motor and use the LX gauges, wire harness and so on, and you'd be all set.

Probably also come with heated seats.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts