Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you be getting a roof-top tent?

• Total voters
241 - 260 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
I just ordered a smitty, did I just screw myself? Also know that I'm just using the Tent for weekend surf trips in socal so it rarely rains and the weather doesn't drop lower than 45during the winter. So for the price and conditions being used in will it be ok or should I just deny shipment?
Have you seen the quality of them in person? I had a chance to, side by side with ARB and another CVT. The seems and stitching just concern me, but live in the North Wet, where that matters.
You should be fine, but I wouldn't expect the lifespan to compare to more expensive ones. I do think they are all made in China, just on a different floor of the same factory, with the level of quality and materials dictated by the associated retail price.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Algo
Never saw it but it was on sale at 4wd with free shipping. Rtt annex and awning out the door for a little over a G plus free shipping. I'm mainly going to be down in Mexico. If I can get a solid 3yrs out of it I'll be psyched.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great forum! Just curious what everyone's favorite rooftop tents are? The ones I find the nicest (in no particular order) are 1. Tepui 2. Adventure Sole RT and 3. CVT? Any thoughts? I know the tents I chose are basically the same... maybe only difference is in cost. Adventure Sole RT seems a bit less in price then the others. But they all seem nice.

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok so I just got back from our camping trip with the smittybilt tent and I'll give you my honest opinion. Setup and brake down is simple. The ladder works but feels like soft steel. If I was a heavyset person I would sleep on the ground. We were beach camping and there was some morning dew which wet the pillows if you were to close to the corners, so this would not work well in a rain climate area. Plenty of room for me and my kid and great ventelation. It was 95 out and humid and with all the screens it stayed pretty cool.The mattress was stiff so probably buying an egg crate for next trip. It comes with a built in led strip in the tent. cheap but it works. Now would I buy it again? Yes, for 1300 I got the tent, 2 awnings, extra ladder, trash bag collector and annex plus free shipping. (4wd ask for curt). The only problem is if you are installing it on a oem rack. You'll have to drill holes into the bars in order to attach it. Main reason is because fj has that double bar in the back that you cant get your hand under. I actually felt more secure driving around with it knowing that it was bolted into the roof rack.
If you have any qustions just ask, but for me Im just doing beach camping with the kids so the cheaper smittybilt tent worked fine. Again I would not take this into any narley weather though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Roof-Top Tent Comparison

I like this idea for camping. I think it really opens up the places you can camp...all you need is enough flat space for the FJ and a fire.

Any suggestions on where to find a variety of roof-top tents since I'm in the market?
Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I have the James Baroud Evasion and it is been great. I love camping and overlanding and it's one of the best investments I've made. I chose this tent over AutoHome because the height profile was slightly lower and when the FJ already had a 2" lift, getting in and out of my garage was going to be tight, every cm helps.

Popping the tent up is simple, a one person job, taking about a minute total.

Putting the tent down takes two people. Unlike the AutoHome, you have to pull it down and while you can do it on your own, it's not easy as a solo venture.

For more pictures check them on out my Instagram account @ RustytheFJ
I do have the same JB on a Rhino Pioneer tray

Closing alone works, but it's a bit hard.
I'm standing at the rearbumper, the tent backside opened and I'm pulling the tentsides to the interior that way.
It takes a couple on minutes, but it's ok.
Closing alone a folding rooftop tent also needs a bit working for a few minutes

·
Registered
404 Posts
he only problem is if you are installing it on a oem rack. You'll have to drill holes into the bars in order to attach it. Main reason is because fj has that double bar in the back that you cant get your hand under.
Can you post a pic of this? I have mine installed on the OEM rack and didn't have any issues.

I just ordered a smitty, did I just screw myself? Also know that I'm just using the Tent for weekend surf trips in socal so it rarely rains and the weather doesn't drop lower than 45during the winter. So for the price and conditions being used in will it be ok or should I just deny shipment?
How did your Smitty turn out?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The only problem is if you are installing it on a oem rack. You'll have to drill holes into the bars in order to attach it. Main reason is because fj has that double bar in the back that you cant get your hand under.

I wish you'd post pics of what you did. I added longer bolts, but that was it. Used the included plates without issue.

I do agree with you that the ladder is of poor quality. I'll have to do a full review when I get time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wish you'd post pics of what you did. I added longer bolts, but that was it. Used the included plates without issue.

I do agree with you that the ladder is of poor quality. I'll have to do a full review when I get time.
Hey Kevin sorry for the delay. I almost did the same as you but tightening the back bolt is a pain so by drilling into the rack I only have to tighten one bolt and it feels more secure. Sorry for no pics but I take the rtt off when not in use.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The Smittybilt RTT ( Roof Top Tent ) are on sale for November 2015 .

$679 plus freight or free local store pickup + tax.

In the mail came a 4 wheel parts Pre Holiday Sales (13pages) print ad, does not have effective dates for the sale, fir November only. We have a new 4wheel parts in my area so I ordered prior to the sale to get in on the deal early. On 10/28/2015 Point of Sale inventory showed these on the boat for delivery to U.S.

I know I really don't have much use for a tent at all but my daughter goes nuts every time we see one. If I lose track of her I just look for her in the nearest RTT. At Easter Jeep Safari this year she grappled up the side a Factory displayed Grand Cherokee with an RTT despite no ladder. So, as with so many impractical kid items, this is for her. I have no fewer than 10 vehicles I could put this on so should be fun.

I will do a review and quality feedback here for this batch of Smittybilt RTT asap in case anybody is on the fence.

UPDATE: The tents have reached Comptom, CA. 4wheelparts Distribution Dock. Anyone wanting one is only about 7 days out from receiving.

241 - 260 of 294 Posts