Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you be getting a roof-top tent?

• Total voters
261 - 280 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
The Smittybilt RTT ( Roof Top Tent ) are on sale for November 2015 .

$679 plus freight or free local store pickup + tax.

In the mail came a 4 wheel parts Pre Holiday Sales (13pages) print ad, does not have effective dates for the sale, fir November only. We have a new 4wheel parts in my area so I ordered prior to the sale to get in on the deal early. On 10/28/2015 Point of Sale inventory showed these on the boat for delivery to U.S.

I know I really don't have much use for a tent at all but my daughter goes nuts every time we see one. If I lose track of her I just look for her in the nearest RTT. At Easter Jeep Safari this year she grappled up the side a Factory displayed Grand Cherokee with an RTT despite no ladder. So, as with so many impractical kid items, this is for her. I have no fewer than 10 vehicles I could put this on so should be fun.

I will do a review and quality feedback here for this batch of Smittybilt RTT asap in case anybody is on the fence.

UPDATE: The tents have reached Comptom, CA. 4wheelparts Distribution Dock. Anyone wanting one is only about 7 days out from receiving.
Sweet. I'm going to look into these.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Got the Smittybilt Tent finally. Installed easily, fits FJ very well, and seems to be an excellent value. Initial impression is very good and I am pleased with the purchase. I will add that if you wanted to you could unbox and install at the Point of purchase in an hour with supplied tools.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I used discarded telescoping canopy legs, the ones that you buy for $125 or so. I bring my battery powered screw gun and remove them danaged canopies at music festivals. I run screw eye bolts at the tops and then with ratchet straps cinch the legs down to stakes at two points on each side. I use a tarp for the awning and heavy duty zip ties through the grommets to attach to the leg screw eyes as well. Works great and just clip zips and the legs telescope to 3' which I store in a PVC tube attached to my rack. Total cost is about $25. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Stirring up an older thread but here's a sheet comparing the current available folding rooftop tents. I posted this on a few other sites. I figure the info will be put to good use.

Hey All, So I'm in the process of shopping for a rooftop tent and compiled a sheet compiling all the specs and details.

(Let me immediately insert the disclaimer that I fully understand that just because company "A" says it uses a 280g Poly-Cotton UV coated fabric and company "B" also says it uses 280g Poly-Cotton UV coated fabric does not imply that the two fabrics are identical and of the same quality. Company "A" and company "B" MAY also have their tents made in the same Chinese factory with the same workers. That does not imply the tents are exactly the same quality. The fabric MAY be from the exact same bolt. And the engineer specs MAY be the exact same.... They MAY indeed be the exact same tent with a different logo printed on it.... You're guess is as good as mine.)

So anyway..... Here's an excel sheet I compiled to help me sort through all the specs and details. I did my best to get all the info I can (I'm sure there's a few mistakes in there.) It's a working list so if anyone has any addition info and/or details and/or experiences please relay them to me and I will update the sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1trSt7cFqgI5MbqkjrDvEb_RKnUbqVW-mc5nZV8C3zAg/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=365511725

·
Registered
854 Posts
So anyway..... Here's an excel sheet I compiled to help me sort through all the specs and details. I did my best to get all the info I can (I'm sure there's a few mistakes in there.) It's a working list so if anyone has any addition info and/or details and/or experiences please relay them to me and I will update the sheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1trSt7cFqgI5MbqkjrDvEb_RKnUbqVW-mc5nZV8C3zAg/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=365511725
Maggiolina and James Baroud aren't in there.......:blueblob:

·
Premium Member
1,091 Posts
Hey All, So I'm in the process of shopping for a rooftop tent and compiled a sheet compiling all the specs and details.

Great job on the list. This should make it easier for those shopping for a Roof Top Tent. I would ask you to include Autohome as well. I am very biased but I think that they make an incredible product. Thanks again for your work!

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
hey guys, I'm looking at purchasing the James Baroud, explorer evolution 2015 model, however I have a rhino pioneer rack 2100 x 1400mm and thinking that on both sides of the rack with the tent fitted I won't be able to fit an awning one side and highliftjack and shovel the other side will I? due to the tent being 1400mm wide also. Does anyone know if the brackets rhino supply fit with the tent and supplies or will i need to somehow modify the brackets? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Normally you enter the JB tent from the right or the left side. So I can't imagine that you would have an awning and at the other side, showel and hilift.
Can't you use custom or selfmade brackets for the awning and place the other stuff behind the tent?

The tent can easily forwarding the rack 2-4 " (10cm) and so you still have enough place for some stuff at the backside

JB model 2013 on a Pioneer rack

awning and at the backside of the rack the Maxtrax boards

·
Registered
19 Posts
That looks great, well I wasn't sure whether i could fit it all on with the brackets provided, thought it would lean against the awning bracket so think I will have to fabricate some! Happy to place the highlift jack and shovel on rear but then where do my treds go??? :frown:crying

I'll be having Light bar up front, ladders one side, awning the other and jack and shovel on rear, may have to put them on some self made brackets before the entrance of the tent! Will measure up.

Thanks for pics!

Normally you enter the JB tent from the right or the left side. So I can't imagine that you would have an awning and at the other side, showel and hilift.
Can't you use custom or selfmade brackets for the awning and place the other stuff behind the tent?

The tent can easily forwarding the rack 2 " (10cm) and so you still have enough place for some stuff at the backside

JB model 2013 on a Pioneer rack

awning and at the backside of the rack the Maxtrax boards

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Some pieces of rubber between selfmade brackets and the tent can be usefull.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did you have to drill any holes in the pioneer platform rack for the RTT to fit? Just been on the phone to James Baroud and they said I would need to. I've gone and ordered it anyway :D

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I hope my answer will be enough understandable because I'm not so fit in English and I won't use a crappy translator all the time

The Pioneer tray has grooves on the upper side. At the front end the grooves are a bit broaded so you can introduce for example a srewhead or anything else

Here you see the rack with 2 Thule bars laying on it and the accross original bars under the rack - sorry, the pic is a bit crappy.

and a view from the side with selfmade brackets on the Thule bars

viewing this, I think you can imagine the flat screwheads into the grooves

And so my answer is: NO, normaly you don't have to drill any hole in a Pioneer platform rack

As seen on my older answers from yesterday, my JB is frontending a bit and it's fixed around the accross strives wich you can see under the rack.

rear accross bar under the rack:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Why have you put two crossbars on the platform, I'm quite confident the james baroud can be fitted to the crossbars that go in the same direction underneath the tray?

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
I used the Thule crossbars to fix the awning and a 40 liter watertank.

The Rooftoptent is posed directly, without bars onto the rack and fixed at the Pioneer crossbars which are under the rack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oh yes it all makes sense now, thank you! So the rtt is installed without the Thule bars directly onto the pioneer platform rack without needing to drill holes. Brilliant, look forward to installing mine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think that anyone who places autoplay advertisements in a forum auto have them removed by the forum administator and then aught to be banned from the forum. They are a huge pain the arse as they go off whenever the forum is opened and time needs to be spend scrolling down the posting in order to stop the darn things... A true nuisance!

Just saying

261 - 280 of 294 Posts