Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you be getting a roof-top tent?

• Total voters
281 - 295 of 295 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Just ordered the baja utility rack, and will be picking up the autohome Airtop small RTT for my 2010. Put this off for 5 years. It's time!
Right on, happy camping.

·
Registered
854 Posts
New Tepui Hardshell RTT 'White Lightning' on Kickstarter!!
Looks pretty sweet. Made in USA.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/275927959/tepui-project-white-lightning-hard-shell-roof-top

Tepui's new roof-top tent carries gear and camps out

Edit 7/18 - I backed this on kickstarter I just could't pass it up, lowest profile, the specs measured against the FJ roof line fit perfectly at 56" x 81" and only 8 inches tall when closed! My pledge even kicked it over into the goal to fund it. Should arrive November and I'll post a little review at least if I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
I really like the idea of the Skycamp; it would fit my whole family. Almost seems too good to be true though.
I've been researching them and its priced competitively. Two choices of material for the soft walls. Made in Korea, they say $380 to ship to the US, but also stated it can be picked up in California avoid shipping charges, (can't recall what city, its on their site). I signed up to get early bird price notice when they go to market.

Funny thing is, their Kickstarter campaign was cancelled before it finished funding.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roominroom/hardtop-one-worlds-first-expandable-hard-shell-roo?ref=profile_created

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just spent 72 days using the Tuff Stuff 4x4 Overland Rooftop Camping Tent with Annex http://amzn.to/2kRpXDC

It was AWESOME. So comfortable. There's a learning curve on putting it up and taking it down, but once I got the hang of it, it took about 13 minutes to setup and 18 minutes to pack away.

Had some seriously heavy rain and the tent itself was totally dry inside. The annex isn't sealed to the vehicle so water got in the bottom of the Annex, but that's to be expected.

Worth every damn penny, and will give me many more awesome trips. (Check it out: http://amzn.to/2kRpXDC)

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Anybody have any experience with Denver Outfitters OverRoam RTT? It's a hard shell tent and comes in 2 models. The tents are a relatively new product for them but they have been make fly rod vaults for awhile.
https://denveroutfitters.com
I did some searching on Denver Outfitters and ended up at the BBB. I really don't like what I read there and it is a little disturbing. I emailed DO concerning their waiting list for their RTT, but I don't expect them to have any solid answers. I would like to purchase a RTT before summer comes around again so looking for the best value (AND customer support). It would take a lot of convincing for me to give them $2700 UNLESS someone on here has first hand knowledge of their RTT and support. Anyone? As a side note I built my own roof rack 48" X 84" low profile, so just waiting for the right product to put up there. Happy camping (well when it warms up I mean).

·
Registered
105 Posts
I did some searching on Denver Outfitters and ended up at the BBB. I really don't like what I read there and it is a little disturbing. I emailed DO concerning their waiting list for their RTT, but I don't expect them to have any solid answers. I would like to purchase a RTT before summer comes around again so looking for the best value (AND customer support). It would take a lot of convincing for me to give them $2700 UNLESS someone on here has first hand knowledge of their RTT and support. Anyone? As a side note I built my own roof rack 48" X 84" low profile, so just waiting for the right product to put up there. Happy camping (well when it warms up I mean).
I was not sold on Denver Outfitters tent options and I ended up going with a Gordigear tent. Used it one season and love it. I mounted to factory rack and never had issues with weight (it is 108 lbs.). While it sits up higher on factory rack the sound and height weren’t enough deterent to spend money on new platform rack. The nice thing about a soft shell is you can still put other stuff on top of car if needed. Hard shell takes up entire roof but there are certainly added benefits. Have you looked at Free Spirit Recreation or Cascadia Vehicle Tents? Both are out of Bend, Oregon. I have heard both have great customer service. FSR has some interesting ones I think and always seem to have some good sales or incentives. I went with Gordigear for reviews/size/cost/shipping/weight. I liked their product videos and website.

You can fall into the paralysis by analysis rabbit hole researching all the options out there. As soon as you buy one stop looking or you will just see the one you should of bought. Good idea to read reviews and spend the $ on the size you want. I looked at various sizes then got out masking tape and taped off the sizes on my deck so I could se how 2 adults with sleeping bags/pillows and some gear would actually fit. It helped me better visualize the space I would have in the tent I wanted.

There is good info on this forum but also some good reviews for both hard shell and soft shell tents on the Expedition Portal website.

I was initially intrigued with Denver Outfitters but happy I went with my choice. Happy shopping and post what you end up getting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was not sold on Denver Outfitters tent options and I ended up going with a Gordigear tent. Used it one season and love it. I mounted to factory rack and never had issues with weight (it is 108 lbs.). While it sits up higher on factory rack the sound and height weren’t enough deterent to spend money on new platform rack. The nice thing about a soft shell is you can still put other stuff on top of car if needed. Hard shell takes up entire roof but there are certainly added benefits. Have you looked at Free Spirit Recreation or Cascadia Vehicle Tents? Both are out of Bend, Oregon. I have heard both have great customer service. FSR has some interesting ones I think and always seem to have some good sales or incentives. I went with Gordigear for reviews/size/cost/shipping/weight. I liked their product videos and website.

You can fall into the paralysis by analysis rabbit hole researching all the options out there. As soon as you buy one stop looking or you will just see the one you should of bought. Good idea to read reviews and spend the $ on the size you want. I looked at various sizes then got out masking tape and taped off the sizes on my deck so I could se how 2 adults with sleeping bags/pillows and some gear would actually fit. It helped me better visualize the space I would have in the tent I wanted.

There is good info on this forum but also some good reviews for both hard shell and soft shell tents on the Expedition Portal website.

I was initially intrigued with Denver Outfitters but happy I went with my choice. Happy shopping and post what you end up getting.

Good points there on making a decision. My priorities are low aerodynamic profile for two reasons 1. aerodynamics for gas mileage (duhh) and 2. For easier trail riding with trees and branches overhanging the trails. I want a rack on top of the RTT for two reasons 1. To carry stuff up there (duhh) and 2. To hoist the RTT up on to the roof rack I plan on making some hooks that I can use with my overhead block and tackle to assist with lowering the RTT onto/off of the roof rack. I currently use this method to install/remove my roof rack. I see the Roofnest has a rack built in but it looks like they are only available on the smaller RTT (Sparrow) and I see Maggiolina has a rack built in on their Extreme model but $500 for just that option is hard to accept. I'll have to see what my Christmas bonus is this year to find out what I'll have to sell to make up the difference. I really want to be a happy camper with this decision...:cool:

281 - 295 of 295 Posts