Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you be getting a roof-top tent?

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 294 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
The Bajarack RTT version is currently shipping, we have made some modifications to the original design to be compatible with Eezi-Awn Series 3 1200 series, Camping Lab, ARB, Mombasa car top tent and soon AutoHome Maggiolina.
The EXPEdition (RTT) measurements are 48" wide x 84" long, flat area is 48" wide x 58.25" long. The mounting brackets for the FJ allow easy access for a guys hand to tighten all 6 mounts:
The price for this rack is $565.00 plus shipping (approximately $110)
Question on the Maggiolina you mention.
Will the shell of say a medium Maggiolina such as mine sit lower to the roof line than what it currently does on my stock rack?

The Maggiolina works great on my stock rack, but it is up higher than I like, and I will get tossed around a bit at freeway speeds if it is really windy out.

I like what this member did.
He used the ARB fitkit, then had 1"x1" crossbars welded in after 3/4" holes were notched to drop the bars in.
Although it looks like it would be a royal PITA to get to the mounting hardware for the bottom of the tent, pretty much what Dom described.

The Maggiolina AirLand model below though is the small one, not the medium model like I have.

If your future rack would let a medium Maggiolina fit lower, I would be looking into one of your racks.

The Maggiolina is getting quite popular around my neck of the woods too, as I have seen a few others besides Wayne's and mine.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm glad to see everyone that is so supportive of the Camping Lab products! We love our tent to death.

Just a comment on the Oasis...it is probably my least fave out there....its essentially a tent cot that you mount to the roof for about four times the price. It still has the bar down the middle just like the Kamp Rite Double Tent Cot...not much snuggling going on in there. If this doesn't bother you I'd suggest paying the $200 for the Kamp Rite and just mounting that to your roof or using it on the ground.

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
For what it's worth, I've decided to purchase the Camping Labs RTT + goodies with some of the funds from the sale of my camping trailer; it suits my needs better, will eliminate the need for a rear jack - granting me more departure angle, weighs less, costs less, can be removed, is compatible with the BajaRack, and I can also still manage to mount the Lucrum LLS system in front.

To me, that's just about perfect. Desert country, tied-down awning for shade, etc. Nirvana! Or at least as close as Nylon can come to it.

·
The Laughing Member
9,124 Posts
Congratulations!! Your article has been permanently immortalized in the coveted FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum. :cheers: :cheers:

Once again, a great topic and a superb job on your write-up. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I'll leave this thread as a Sticky throughout the week to ensure that any additional tent submissions from other members find their way here. If you need to add them into the FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum, drop me a PM so I can temporarily open the article for your editing.

BTW, thank you for doing such a clean job of emulating the Tech Article's layout and format. That saved me a lot of editing work. :) :)

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Congratulations!! Your article has been permanently immortalized in the coveted FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum. :cheers: :cheers:

Once again, a great topic and a superb job on your write-up. :bigthumb: :bigthumb:

I'll leave this thread as a Sticky throughout the week to ensure that any additional tent submissions from other members find their way here. If you need to add them into the FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum, drop me a PM so I can temporarily open the article for your editing.

BTW, thank you for doing such a clean job of emulating the Tech Article's layout and format. That saved me a lot of editing work. :) :)
No Problem!!:cheers:
Glad I could help some people out:rocker:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
what about awnings?
Camping Labs awning here.

Yes, a new thread with awnings would be nice.
There are quite a few out there.

ARB
Camping Lab
Fiamma
EZ Awn

and more...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Yea, no kidding... get the Camping Lab and put it on the BajaRack. Then laugh about the fact that you've got a tent AND rack for the price of one of those other tents alone... :lol:
Anyone have this combo yet? Particularly the NON-RTT Bajarack. I'm interested in this setup and would like to hear pros/cons from someone who is actually running the setup. Thanks!

Volley

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Camping Labs awning here.

Yes, a new thread with awnings would be nice.
There are quite a few out there.

ARB
Camping Lab
Fiamma
EZ Awn

and more...
I'll work on that!

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
I'll work on that!
Sounds good.
The Fiamma Pro 35 seems to me the model that best fits our rigs.

I was going to get that one before I saw the Camping Labs one at about 1/2 the price.
The Fiamma though is different, it retracts like a projection screen.
I may even try one out in the future.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Anyone have this combo yet? Particularly the NON-RTT Bajarack. I'm interested in this setup and would like to hear pros/cons from someone who is actually running the setup. Thanks!

Volley
I had the Camping Lab RTT on the non-RTT BajaRack... it worked just fine. The advantage of the EXP BajaRack (the one for RTT's) is just that you can mount the tent a few inches lower.

I have a ton of pics of the setup and the Camping Lab RTT deployed and everything in my blog... here's a post about that here.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Maggiolina AirLand model below though is the small one, not the medium model like I have.

Corey,
The pictures of my tent you see here are of the medium size tent.

Bjorn

·
Premium Member
16,793 Posts
Just a suggestion if you can find the info, as to if they can be mounted to the factory rack or if they require a seperate roof rack just to mount. (Like the the ARB, i believe it needs the half rack like Dom has in order to be mounted)

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
ARB does have a specific rack that will fit a range of RTT's, and BajaRack has a one coming out very soon, or may already be out.

That one SDHQ offroad FJ (the bling one with a billion lights) has one mounted atop a gob ranger. IMO to tall and kinda of sketchy.. that is a lot of air going underneath a light weight brick shaped object.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Corey,
The pictures of my tent you see here are of the medium size tent.

Bjorn
Ooops, forgot, yours is the same size as my tent.
I was confusing yours with that yellow FJ that had a custom rack made.

Just a suggestion if you can find the info, as to if they can be mounted to the factory rack or if they require a seperate roof rack just to mount. (Like the the ARB, i believe it needs the half rack like Dom has in order to be mounted)
Any roof top tent will mount to the stock rack.
That is what mine is mounted too along with Yakima crossbars and towers.
It will sit up higher though, hence my quest to get it done later like bjorno did in the pics I posted above.
Or if BajaRacks lowers it down some, I may look into that too.

21 - 40 of 294 Posts