Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Will you be getting a roof-top tent?

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 294 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
ARB does have a specific rack that will fit a range of RTT's, and BajaRack has a one coming out very soon, or may already be out.
I have an order placed for the Baja EXP rack, which is designed for RTTs. I was told to expect shipment sometime towards the middle of this month (sept), if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I had the Camping Lab RTT on the non-RTT BajaRack... it worked just fine. The advantage of the EXP BajaRack (the one for RTT's) is just that you can mount the tent a few inches lower.

I have a ton of pics of the setup and the Camping Lab RTT deployed and everything in my blog... here's a post about that here.

Wow that was quite an adventure! Glad to see the tent works well, exactly what I was hoping for so that I could more storage space when the tent isn't up there. Thanks!

Volley

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Camping Labs awning here.

Yes, a new thread with awnings would be nice.
There are quite a few out there.

ARB
Camping Lab
Fiamma
EZ Awn

and more...
Sorry its taking me so long to make the thread. I've been busy with college, and haven't had much time to write this thread.

Just a suggestion if you can find the info, as to if they can be mounted to the factory rack or if they require a seperate roof rack just to mount. (Like the the ARB, i believe it needs the half rack like Dom has in order to be mounted)
I'll work on this too.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I am running with the Eezi-Awn 1200 on a custom ARB rack.
Pics and info on the rack? I've seen custom Gobi racks, but not ARB.

Also, anyone tried a RTT on All Pro's rack? Looks like it might not work without some mods....

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I had a standard ARB rack modded to fit the tent, crossover bar fit in the back with mesh and powdercoated silver.

Pics and info on the rack? I've seen custom Gobi racks, but not ARB.

Also, anyone tried a RTT on All Pro's rack? Looks like it might not work without some mods....

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I had a standard ARB rack modded to fit the tent, crossover bar fit in the back with mesh and powdercoated silver.
Looks good, keep up the good work!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
That looks great ! I like the silver to match, too.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yes. I can easily hold 2 Scepter cans on both sides using the Cargo Buckles I mounted on the rear uprights. I actually sized the rear area specifically for the Scepters.

A bit hard to tell for sure from the pics, but it looks like you have room for 5-gal Scepter cans behind the tent, is that correct?

·
Registered
628 Posts
does anybody know if the roof top tent expedition tent or the camping lab roof top tent will mount to the 3/4" square tubing of garvin's expedition rack?

thanks,
andrew

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am more than happy to sleep on the ground in a sleeping bag. With or with out a tent. Why not throw a 12" thick blow up mattress up there and call it good. Mattress = less than a $100. Roof top tent = $800-1500. Juzt my 0.02:wave:

I agree with you, plus you can pay for alot of really nice hotel rooms instead! Most places up here I can't bring my rig along, I go out by boat or hike and camp out on the ground, in big bear country - but for taking my kids with me and keeping the freaking eat you alive bears a little more at bay I am going to check this out, bear spray, .44 mag. 12 guage and a killer "top o the rig tent" - these things are really sweet. Plus, I really like my cast iron skillet fresh cooked bacon when camping :cheers:

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
There is something about sleeping on top of your roof in a roof top tent.
I have camped for many a year in tents, tent trailers, and now the roof top tent.

I feel far safer being up higher on top of my roof.

Plus you are not tracking in dirt, rain, mud, ect...

·
Premium Member
1,800 Posts
I agree with you, plus you can pay for alot of really nice hotel rooms instead!
Sure! at least until the global class war starts and money is worthless and skills and security are priceless.

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Nice thread.

Finally getting around to writing up a review of my Oasis 6.2 since I wanted to give the manufacturer (Trekking.fr) reasonable time to respond to some issues.

My conclusion is that the Oasis tent is disappointing, which is especially a pity since the idea behind the product is good. It's just that the company that manufactures it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of product quality and customer service. (I truly wish somebody else would take over their company and get the quality under control - or that somebody copies their design and makes a quality product out of it. It's like a good idea is going to waste because of bad management.)

I got this RTT because of low weight and low profile when folded down. Note that the French manufacturer is now making the sixth generation Oasis while the US importer only sells the second generation tent. The newer tent is a double layer tent with an inner breathing layer and outer waterproof layer. Rather than blue it's a nice olive drab color. I got it in France for 568 euro which was about $900 at the time.

Problems with product quality (for the brand new product) were:
1) Bad sewing in several places. In one place the sewing goes over the edge of the fabrics so the fabrics are not sewn together. In another, the threads were all bundled up which was less than pretty. In a third place a whole piece of loose (left-over) fabric is sewn into the tent by mistake, and just sticking out.
2) The bottom of the frame has plastic feet on, however the tiny plastic pin inside them was broken on two of the feet making them move around.
3) There was a tear in the fabric on one corner of the tent (where the fabric stretches over the frame). There was no fabric repair kit included to fix it.
4) There were many scratches on the paint. The paint that they have used clearly does not bind very well with the metal. Also there are many places where a simple plastic washer would have helped avoid having metal grind against metal and rub the paint off.
5) There is rust in many places on the tent, which I did not take as a good sign as the tent will be outside a lot - and on top of a white roof.
6) Some very annoying sticky glue: Four of six plastic end-cups were put on the chassis rods with a glue that does not dry. The sticky stuff had smeared off on several other places. In the end I got it off with alcohol and a lot of work, and then glued all the cups back on using a two-component glue.
7) The little bag with cords and stuff had a broken cord tip which I fixed by heating the nylon cord and gluing the plastic tip on again.
8) After using the tent on one trip there were four screws that had fallen out. Those are the screws that hold the chassis together. Just from driving they had fallen out.

Problems with customer service:
I dealt with a french reseller and the manufacturer (Trekking.fr) - so this is not about the US reseller at all. When I first asked Trekking.fr about the product back in April, the guy was quite friendly and responded in English. Questions at the time were mostly clarifications about the tent because the information on the company's website was a total mess of contradictions and out-of-date pictures. I ordered the tent end of April, knowing I would have to wait a bit for version 6.2 to come out.
a) I was told the product would arrive in the beginning of June. It did not arrive before the beginning of July.
b) The cover turned out to be blue rather than beige as in the pictures (again a result of the site not being up to date). Mid July I asked both the reseller and Trekking.fr whether I could get a beige cover. Now in mid September I still have not received an answer to this question.
c) In mid July I wrote to both the reseller and Trekking.fr about the quality problems, describing them in detail and asking for their response. End of July they asked whether I could send photos of the problems. I sent 18 photos the next day. Mid August and end of August I asked again for a response. End of August they ask me to resend the pictures which I do. The weeks go by. Beginning of September I receive an email that they are annoyed since they haven't seen this problem before, so if I want, I can get the fabric replaced but not the chassis. There is no saying they are sorry or any effort to regain my confidence in their company. And suddenly they are not able to write in English any more but only in French.
d) End of July I asked whether they had a description of how the mounting brackets go on (since there is no manual included with the product). No response.
e) Recently I wrote about the screws that had fallen out. No response yet.

Actual use of the tent:
The tent is ok to use (if you can accept the points above and some work to repair the tent yourself). We did get some back ache problems due to the fact that the tent is curved (like lying in a hammock) rather than flat-floored. It helps to occassionally lie on the side curl up a little. It's mosquito safe, well ventilated and water proof.

Bottom-line:
Although I hate to say it I have been looking a bit at other roof-top tents after this experience. This time I will make sure it's more of a quality product. The only thing that is a pity is that alternative designs are so heavy and bulky, but perhaps I'll find a solution in the future. For now I can only say, beware of this manufacturer. The reseller might be more customer oriented but also has to rely on the manufacturer, so be sure to get clear warranty information before you buy.

·
Premium Member
5,235 Posts
Some have been turned off by the price of the Oasis, and compare it to an expensive tent cot.
Check out what this guy did with a much cheaper tent cot further down in this thread.
Possible Rtt Option - Expedition Portal Forums

I did not know Oasis was having quality control issues.
Thanks for the report.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This is an excellent thread, and one of my favorite gear subjects. :rocker:

A couple more tents that haven't been mentioned are the Hannibal and the Technitop by African Outback Products.

Hannibal:

The Hannibal is similar to the Eezi-Awn tent, with some distinct differences. A big advantage to it is that it's much lighter.

I currently have this mounted on my truck and I'm putting it through a long-term test. It's doing great so far. An excellent tent.

Available in the U.S. from Hannibal USA, a division of Atlantic British Ltd. They also have accessories available.

Price: $1295.95 or $1495.95

Technitop:

A nice aspect of the Technitop design is the outward sloping end walls, which makes a dramatic difference that results in a more spacious tent using an average size case.

Other cool features are the completely sealed hard clamshell case (zero dust and water ingress) and a roof portal. Accessories include hanging shoe bags (awesome for keeping dirty/wet shoes out of the tent) and an add-on room that hangs from the tent creating a ground-level shelter. There's also a shade awning available.

Available in the U.S. from Slee Offroad Price $1695.

Last year, I did an exhaustive test and review of these tents, plus the Eezi-Awn and two tents from AutoHome USA, the Overland and the Columbus. The Technitop scored my Editor's Choice award, but all of the tents were great. It was a tough decision to make. The Technitop went on to spend the past year on our Executive Editor's FJ40 and he did a long term report on it. The test and review can be found in the Summer '07 issue of Overland Journal (available here) and the long-term review of the Technitop is in the Spring '08 issue, also available through the website.

We have an announcement in our Overland News column in the upcoming issue (goes to press next week) regarding a line of tents that will be new to the U.S.A. and available shortly from Camping Lab. I'm really looking forward to checking these out. One of the models is meant specifically for off-road trailers.

41 - 60 of 294 Posts