Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Wow, thanks for taking the time to do this, I was thinking of doing something similar, but I'm glad you went ahead and did it first, the pics you have are great. Mods, sticky this one! We need to keep this fella updated because there are changes happening very quickly now it seems in the area of skid plates.

Edit, the MAF should also mention that the tubular cross braces must be removed to install.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Great Job!

Another thing to consider - Is front skid compatible for those with Donahoe suspension (swaybar relocated forward).

Thanks,
Shawn

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Great Job!

Another thing to consider - Is front skid compatible for those with Donahoe suspension (swaybar relocated forward).

Thanks,
Shawn
I know first hand that both All Phase Offroads and Man-a-fres are compatible.

All Phase Offroad(On my FJ)

Man-a-fre

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The bolts not being recessed, just dont seem right cant they be sheered off?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Don't forget the Toyota and the RAM

Attachments

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I have the All Pro and the plate comes unpainted. I don't have a good pic of it yet but will post when I do. It went on using 6 of the 8 bolts that came out of the stock plates. Very easy to install and all of the bolt heads are recessed.

Use the bubble and plastic wrap that it was shipped with to pad the ground beneath the engine area. Raise the front edge and line the tabs up with the slots in the frame. Insert the two front bolts, twist a few threads in and leave them loose. Using your bottle jack and a piece of scrap wood, jack up the back edge of the plate to the appropriate height to insert the last four bolts. Leave all bolts loose so you can adjust the skid's placement by hand. Go back to the front of the plate and push on it (or tap with a hammer) so the front tabs seat into the slots tighter. Then tighten all bolts firmly. After removing the old plate, the new plate should go on in about 10-15 minutes. It took me longer to uninstall the old plates and clean all the dried muck and leaves out. I'd suggest goggles for that task.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
I have the All Pro and the plate comes unpainted. I don't have a good pic of it yet but will post when I do. It went on using 6 of the 8 bolts that came out of the stock plates. Very easy to install and all of the bolt heads are recessed.

Use the bubble and plastic wrap that it was shipped with to pad the ground beneath the engine area. Raise the front edge and line the tabs up with the slots in the frame. Insert the two front bolts, twist a few threads in and leave them loose. Using your bottle jack and a piece of scrap wood, jack up the back edge of the plate to the appropriate height to insert the last four bolts. Leave all bolts loose so you can adjust the skid's placement by hand. Go back to the front of the plate and push on it (or tap with a hammer) so the front tabs seat into the slots tighter. Then tighten all bolts firmly. After removing the old plate, the new plate should go on in about 10-15 minutes. It took me longer to uninstall the old plates and clean all the dried muck and leaves out. I'd suggest goggles for that task.
My stock skid is getting completly fugged! I'm interested in the AllPro Skid. How's it working out? Have you bashed it? Did it hold up? Is it denting or just getting scratched to all [email protected]?

Thanks,

Frog

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
My stock skid is getting completly fugged! I'm interested in the AllPro Skid. How's it working out? Have you bashed it? Did it hold up? Is it denting or just getting scratched to all [email protected]?

Thanks,

Frog
Just installed it last week and haven't hit anything on a trail with it yet. It is stout though at 3/16" thick. I thought I might have needed it for my last outing but my OME lift kept me off just about everything. A Tellico trip planned in January may be the first time it gets "used".

I need to pull the skid off to clean, sand and paint it before it gets too much weathering. I didn't have ttime to paint it before my last outing.

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
awesome, i'd been considering doing this myself, but I'm glad someone else beat me to it....great write up....I'm in a dead tie between AllPro and Budbuilt....I guess I'll have to be deciding between now and xmas.....(people are wondeirng what to get me for xmas....;))

·
Wanderlust
4,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....I'm in a dead tie between AllPro and Budbuilt....I guess I'll have to be deciding between now and xmas.....(people are wondeirng what to get me for xmas....;))
I have decided on which one for my xmas present. ;)
Does anyone have info on the Downey skids? I searched this forum and found qua77ro's post from ~3 months ago and did a quick search on downey's site but not a whole lot of info.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Still waiting to see what Demello's look like...My lady said she would get me a front skid for x-mas...I just don't know which one...Right now I think it's between the all pro and MAF....Only looking for the front skid...Ordered an inchworm e-lockerguard tonight!!

·
Registered
264 Posts
thanks for displaying the FJ''s panty pics and prices.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Man-a-fre
FJ Cruiser Skid Plates 4+Plus

Availability/Price (introductory):
Front engine/$195
Transfer case-exhaust/$299
Transmission/$165
All three/$599

Construction:
3/16" steel plate

Modification:
Some mods may be required to fit cross member onto frame

Finish: powder coat gray

Thats one more thing to goes on my wish list :cry: :eek: :couto: I think I am going to have to sell my first born in order to pay all the mods.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
TCao, As always, Informitive!! and just in time. Right now I'm leanning towards the Man-a-fre skids, but I want to wait and see what Jason(Demello) comes up with here in the next couple of weeks. Spoke to him on the phone Friday. He said he had a bunch going to powdercoat as we spoke.
GOOD JOB ON THE COMPARO BRO!!!!!:bandit:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.