Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright after days of reading posts in the forums and researching online I finally have a basic setup in mind for my stereo upgrade. I would like to get feedback from you guys because I only get one chance to get this right.

First of all I am trying for a stealth setup (except for the WickedCAS box I already bought, which hopefully looks stock-like and won't attract too much attention). I just can't have my dash ripped up, windows broken, and expensive setup stolen! So given that I am planning to use:

1. FJammer HU
2. WickedCas box with dual 10" JL subs (already purchased)
3. RF Punch Amp for subs (came with subs, may not need it)
4. Alpine 4.150 Amp for speakers and/or subs (already purchased)
5. Rockford 3sixty.2 to provide clean HU line levels, and direct AUX input for iPod (haven't bought this yet but it seems to be better than LC7/Cleansweep)

So what I need to decide on is basically the hardest part - Speakers and mounting locations. This is where I really need some help.

My goal is to have speakers installed in factory locations in dash and doors and retain factory grilles. I am definitely going the component route, but I'm worried about having the tweets and midbass too far apart and losing soundstage.

I have considered the Morel Elates as probably the best solution for the FJ since the mids and tweets can both go into the dash and bass in the doors, but those puppies are just not in my pricerange, and surface mounting them on the dash defeats the stealth.

My second choice is the Polk SR6500, but I'm worried about issues with the tweets too far from the midbass with the common component dash/door approach. So that leads to mounting the SR6500s in coax point-source mode in the doors, and adding another set of db400 coaxes in the dash. This is seeming to be the best approach I have considered so far because I can then use the 3sixty to set the levels and time delay between the doors/dash to lift up the soundstage and keep everything in phase.

Am I crazy, or does this make sense? The goal is a system with great SQ across all genres that will also thump when asked...

Thanks in advance for any input you might have. :bigthumb:

On a side note can anyone recommend a good installer in Denver who can beat the $700-$900 install price quoted by CarToys? That is just too much money but this is pretty daunting to tackle myself without a garage...

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
i have heard from the only dealer i really trust (not your typical dealer) that the polk SR's are awesome. so awesome that he ditched all of his zapco comps for them. as far as time delay goes, you might actually be getting yourself into trouble when trying to delay the tweets. believe it or not, it is actually a good setup. the sound stage in mine with the mids in the door and tweet in the dash is about perfect as far as height goes. and that is with no delay and passive crossovers. and keep in mind that if you want that kind of control over your mids and tweets, you will have to run them actively. on a side note, i am considering the SR's.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard from the only dealer i really trust (not your typical dealer) that the polk SR's are awesome. so awesome that he ditched all of his zapco comps for them. as far as time delay goes, you might actually be getting yourself into trouble when trying to delay the tweets. believe it or not, it is actually a good setup. the sound stage in mine with the mids in the door and tweet in the dash is about perfect as far as height goes. and that is with no delay and passive crossovers. and keep in mind that if you want that kind of control over your mids and tweets, you will have to run them actively. on a side note, i am considering the SR's.
Thanks for the reply Briman - I am now feeling pretty confident that going with just the set of SR's mounted midbass in doors / tweets in dash will meet my needs. I'll post pics and a SQ evaluation when everything is completed. :rocker:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts