Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would have to say viper. I use to install alarm systems and these were BY FAR the best and easiest to install. Oh and the most reliable from what I saw

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
viper isnt easier to install than any other alarm because you have to hit the same wires no matter what alarm you have. compustar is the only one i would go with. i regret getting the viper 5900. the one way compustar that i have is much better.
Newer viper alarms allow the installer to program the "brain" for GM's Toyota's and other cars, with the override maps...this means I don't need an extra module to hook up...therfore making my life easier.:pinklove:

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Newer viper alarms allow the installer to program the "brain" for GM's Toyota's and other cars, with the override maps...this means I don't need an extra module to hook up...therfore making my life easier.:pinklove:
gms, fords, and special ignition modules are always a delight, but unfortunatly, our fj's are boring and easy to work with. compustar is the best alarm out of the bunch. i personally have owned a few prestige aps-xxx series, cliffords, vipers (dei), and compustars. i have installed all sorts. compustar is all i will use again. i regret going with the viper 5900 on my fj

·
Banned
463 Posts
gms, fords, and special ignition modules are always a delight, but unfortunatly, our fj's are boring and easy to work with. compustar is the best alarm out of the bunch. i personally have owned a few prestige aps-xxx series, cliffords, vipers (dei), and compustars. i have installed all sorts. compustar is all i will use again. i regret going with the viper 5900 on my fj

Lol I remember you saying that you didn't like the Viper 5900 but I've seen the Compustar and it's not any more difficult to use than the Viper 5900? Maybe the install is a little different but I've been extremely happy with mine and know a few people that have the Viper and don't have any complaints.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Lol I remember you saying that you didn't like the Viper 5900 but I've seen the Compustar and it's not any more difficult to use than the Viper 5900? Maybe the install is a little different but I've been extremely happy with mine and know a few people that have the Viper and don't have any complaints.
honestly. how many times do you have to hit the unlock for it to unlock both doors when priority unlocking is setup? how many times do you really have to hit the star before it will start? rarely can i get it to start when hitting it twice and hitting the unlock button twice rarely unlocks it. the range isnt half of what they claim it to be. with the antenna in sight sometimes it wont start. with the compustar it isnt ever an issue. hold the button down for roughly 3 seconds and it will start.

·
Banned
92 Posts
I have the Viper 5900...how many times do I have to hit it? Lets see. once triggers the driver side door, the second (within two seconds you hit it) unlocks the passenger door...just like my factory key fob.

To start the vehicle you press the star once, and then hold it for a second, and then your vehicle is up and running...whats so hard about that? I get incredibly good range, 85% more than my stock key fob if my vehicle is parked outside a movie theater (big ones with stadium setting even in the wayyy back) I still get excellent signal quality, as well as most areas in the mall, and of course the LCD screen lets me know if it's running, unlocked, armed, etc.

I have NEVER had my vehicle not start when I am in range, sounds like you messed up your install, I know plenty of other people who have this exact same system and have zero issues.

I'll take Viper (DEI) as a car security system any day, no problems what so ever, and they are very well known as being excellent security systems with bundles of features.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
I have the Viper 5900...how many times do I have to hit it? Lets see. once triggers the driver side door, the second (within two seconds you hit it) unlocks the passenger door...just like my factory key fob.

To start the vehicle you press the star once, and then hold it for a second, and then your vehicle is up and running...whats so hard about that? I get incredibly good range, 85% more than my stock key fob if my vehicle is parked outside a movie theater (big ones with stadium setting even in the wayyy back) I still get excellent signal quality, as well as most areas in the mall, and of course the LCD screen lets me know if it's running, unlocked, armed, etc.

I have NEVER had my vehicle not start when I am in range, sounds like you messed up your install, I know plenty of other people who have this exact same system and have zero issues.

I'll take Viper (DEI) as a car security system any day, no problems what so ever, and they are very well known as being excellent security systems with bundles of features.
BS. that remote sucks wangage collosus. 1/10 times i can actually get it to unlock all doors with only two hits. other than that, i wail on that button until it will let me in. same with starting. i'll take this guy any day over the viper remotes. even without the screen.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
My boss has the Ravelco in his H2 and his BMW before that. He swears by it.

I agree that having my FJ broke into is one thing but finding it gone is something else.

I'm currently leaning toward the Ravelco due to reputation and small size.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
That's not a bad price installed. Are they coming to you or are you going to drop the FJ off?

I was thinking about getting the FJ and the wifes HiHy done at the same time.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
My boss has the Ravelco in his H2 and his BMW before that. He swears by it.

I agree that having my FJ broke into is one thing but finding it gone is something else.

I'm currently leaning toward the Ravelco due to reputation and small size.
i would rather never see my car again or see it burned to the ground than walk out and see it broken into, violated.

·
Texican
8,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
That's not a bad price installed. Are they coming to you or are you going to drop the FJ off?

I was thinking about getting the FJ and the wifes HiHy done at the same time.
That was them coming out to my house and I was told they would only need 1 1/2 hours... not to shabby. If the plastic was color cooridnated (i.e. black instead grey) I think it wouldn't look bad either.

·
Banned
92 Posts
BS. that remote sucks wangage collosus. 1/10 times i can actually get it to unlock all doors with only two hits. other than that, i wail on that button until it will let me in. same with starting. i'll take this guy any day over the viper remotes. even without the screen.
Do you want me to take a video of me locking and unlocking my vehicle as well as starting and turning off? Yours has a problem, due your installing it wrong, or a software\timing issue, I have NO problems with mine, if you want, I will prove to you how well mine works with a video, just ask.

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
Do you want me to take a video of me locking and unlocking my vehicle as well as starting and turning off? Yours has a problem, due your installing it wrong, or a software\timing issue, I have NO problems with mine, if you want, I will prove to you how well mine works with a video, just ask.
so when everything works just fine on the car, just the remote has a lame ass design, something is installed wrong. i dont think so. dont make me whoop your ass boy. one out of every 10 times it actually works right. like i have found with every other remote that you have to hit a start button twice, just like the prestige alarms. the regular DEI and prestige remotes work awesome, these other alarm remotes are garbage though.

·
Banned
92 Posts
so when everything works just fine on the car, just the remote has a lame ass design, something is installed wrong. i dont think so. dont make me whoop your ass boy. one out of every 10 times it actually works right. like i have found with every other remote that you have to hit a start button twice, just like the prestige alarms. the regular DEI and prestige remotes work awesome, these other alarm remotes are garbage though.
"Whoop my ass boy" are you attempting to threaten me? Please, don't make me laugh. You're getting your panties in a bunch because you are complaining about a Viper, which MANY of my friends, including me have, yet you say it sucks it doesn't work right...but NONE of us have problems...YOU installed yours, that's why I'm going to say YOU installed it wrong if it's not paging correctly, or having any other issues, get it? If you're going to be a whiney little baby because I said that it's highly likely that you messed something up BECAUSE with alarms, they will only work as well as the installer installs\programs them, then bring it on.

Just for you, when I get the chance, I'll make a video showing how mine, MAGICALLY unlocks the driver side door with one punch of the unlock key (like it's supposed to) and unlocks the PASSENGER\rear door with a SECOND punch of the unlock key. The start button as it says in the manual, you start it by pressing it in ONCE, then holding it for a second the second time....is that so hard?

·
Banned
463 Posts

Ohhh baby are you gonna break out the whips too? I might have to join in...By the way, my Viper works perfectly too. :thefinger:

·
Registered
557 Posts
That was them coming out to my house and I was told they would only need 1 1/2 hours... not to shabby. If the plastic was color cooridnated (i.e. black instead grey) I think it wouldn't look bad either.
I have mine mounted right below the dash, in the left corner by the door. It came with a little bracket. You really don't notice it at all, even with it being light grey.

Just a tip though, put your house key on the Fob if you go through your front door when you get home, that way, you have to remove the fob to get into the house. I got lazy with mine after I got back from Mexico, and was leaving it in the car. I put my house key on it, and I can't tell you how many times I walk all the way up to the door, only to have to go back out to the FJ to get the house key. But I always know Booger will be there in the morning when I get up for work.

And seriously, arguing over a car alarm??? The sun is still shining outside right?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.