Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to mount my big ass acer labtop in the FJ on the passenger side...Is there a fold-a-way mount that would stow under the glovebox? I also want to have an integrated computer dock on the computer mount...perhaps I can plug the dock into aux fusebox...i dont know if this would work...

How about the kick ass "DeLorme TopoUSA" program and the "marine (Furuno) GPRS relay antenna?" This antenna receives internet correct? How can I set up this system for my computer?

·
Registered
443 Posts
I want to mount my big ass acer labtop in the FJ on the passenger side...Is there a fold-a-way mount that would stow under the glovebox?
Without knowing the dimensions of you laptop and the docking station it is hard to say if there is a mount. You may be able to fabricate a bracket to fit on the glove box.

I also want to have an integrated computer dock on the computer mount...perhaps I can plug the dock into aux fusebox...i dont know if this would work...
Depending if you have the auto power adapter, you can wire into an additional power regulator to protect the circuit.

How about the kick ass "DeLorme TopoUSA" program and the "marine (Furuno) GPRS relay antenna?" This antenna receives internet correct? How can I set up this system for my computer?

I don't know the answer to that one. You may want to contact the company.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Try Walcottcb.com this company has several lap top computer mounts on the web site, and several differant antennas. Hope you find what you are looking for.,

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Do a google search for Ram lap top computer mounts. They make a lap top mount spesific for the FJ. They have a universal mount, and lap top spesific docks as well. This is not a fold away mount though.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
check air2air's rig very nicely done on board laptop computer with a custom build mounting system. gps,topo maps the werks.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
I looked into the Ram mount and saw one in person and it is very bulky for the passenger. My co-pilot (wife) would not have it in our rig.
I am in the process of fabbing my own mount using 3/4" copper water piping. I think it will look nice as well as functional. I should actually have it done in the next couple of days. The laptop will be between us, but out of the way of the driver. It will swivel so both can view the monitor.
I have bought the National Geographic TOPO's and it runs really well with my GPS.
I have installed 3 extra 12v outlets behind the dash to power my laptop. It's really handy to only have a thin power cord to deal with. My GPS takes its power from the laptop when plugged in.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
if anyone is fabbing a mount that will require drilling then I recommend the jeniko.com mount which for onlyu $69 for the drill version you will hardly fab your own and have it come out as nice. I have mine in the center in front of my radio and it works great.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
if anyone is fabbing a mount that will require drilling then I recommend the jeniko.com mount which for onlyu $69 for the drill version you will hardly fab your own and have it come out as nice. I have mine in the center in front of my radio and it works great.
Tried Jenico.com but it wouldn't link. Do you have pics?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I looked into the Ram mount and saw one in person and it is very bulky for the passenger. My co-pilot (wife) would not have it in our rig.
I am in the process of fabbing my own mount using 3/4" copper water piping. I think it will look nice as well as functional. I should actually have it done in the next couple of days. The laptop will be between us, but out of the way of the driver. It will swivel so both can view the monitor.
I have bought the National Geographic TOPO's and it runs really well with my GPS.
I have installed 3 extra 12v outlets behind the dash to power my laptop. It's really handy to only have a thin power cord to deal with. My GPS takes its power from the laptop when plugged in.
Good luck.
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Sounds like what i want...Yea i dont like the stuff that mounts to the seat and floor...I was thinking of fabbing something that folds out from under the dash and swivels...I will buy mounting accessories and fab it myself...might be a bit difficult but definitely worth it if i can pull it off

Is the GPS a separate unit with its own screen? Does the GPS display on the computer screen? Can i get a GPS for a computer? like a program with a USB antenna or a seperate unit that runs off the computer but without the screen? I want the GPS and topo all in one on my existing computer if i could...I dont want to buy a motion sensing comp...possible?
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts

I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Delorme has the software and the antenna that will work on any laptop.
Wow you are right...just had to look a little closer ;) Looks like I will be getting the Earthmate with TopoUSA...thanks for all your suggestions! Now if i could just figure out the internet part...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had the GPS unit already and used its screen for quite some time. With the laptop, connection is made between them with USB. I use the laptop screen only now. The interface is seemless. When we go out now, we can see exactly where we are on the monitor in real time. We can create a real time route and save it for the future. We have been on roads that were not shown on the TOPO, created a route and now we can go back at any time and not get lost.
As far as an intragal computer/GPS, I bet they are out there.
One great thing about this forum is the wealth of info that shows up. Why invent the wheel again.
Which GPS do you have? and do you have TopoUSA? Roof antenna that leads from handheld?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts