Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How concerned are you guys about the first production units of the FJ getting the kinks worked out? ... I've never owned a new Toyota, always bought 'em after warrenty was up, and am just wondering how others have fared with warranty issues... I know there was an engine issue a few years back that took some pressure on Toyota to own up to. :confused:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm with you, I always buy used so I am a little trepidatious as well when it comes to a $30K investment! It would be nice to know there will be no issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For the most part,you have to remember the FJC is a modified 4Runner.Tried and true.Toyota,unlike the Domestics,does not sell a vehicle and use the public as a proving ground.That is why wer'e "patiently" waiting for the FJC release.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Spike Strip said:
How concerned are you guys about the first production units of the FJ getting the kinks worked out? ... I've never owned a new Toyota, always bought 'em after warrenty was up, and am just wondering how others have fared with warranty issues... I know there was an engine issue a few years back that took some pressure on Toyota to own up to. :confused:

Toyota will back there product regardless.... If you have concerns, you may want to search the internet for toyota recalls.. Not trying to scare ya away, but some of us like to be conservative.
I just dont want to make a final decision unitl I test drive.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ToyCruzr is right on about the mechanicals. Tried and true. No worries there. I think Toyota had problems with a body weld when they changed styles on the Tacoma a couple of years ago. I can't find any details on the problem online but I think the Tacos are made in Fremont, CA aren't they? Tacozilla? The FJC FJammer subwoofer vibrating apart the interior will be my main quasi-concern, or maybe the FJammer "sound shower" making me wet my pants. Oh but the fabric is water resitant so no worries there either, except for my image.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I'll put it another way. Go to some different message boards. Toyota Nation comes to mind, and look at posts surrounding problems with Toyotas, new releases and existing models. Then for comparison go to http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/

and look at the problems people with the new LR3s are having. It is true that there may be some problems with new releases but it comes down to the reputation for quality of the builder. I almost bought a new LR3 and after spending a couple weeks on that board I experienced a change of heart.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Spike Strip said:

Here's my thoughts. I have purchased 2 brand new toyotas that were first year runs. My tercel had no problems except for engine oil sludging - but I think that was due to the poor quality oil I used. My 95 tacoma regular cab 4x4 had only one issue: the rear leaf springs were only 2 leaf as opposed to 3 leaf and both fractured inside of 2 years. I had no other issues with my 95 - it was reliable as reliable could be. I used Mobil1 and it just kept going like the energizer bunny. (I did have a tough time though getting the dealership to replace the leafs - but they did finnally after being very insistant and pointing out that the 4x4 tacos from 96 and onward came with the 3 leaf set up.)

Now in terms of potential reliability of the FJ, I offer these things to ponder:

1) The 4.0 engine design has already been out for 2 years (I haven't heard of any major issues)
2) The frame is a modified new generation 4Runner frame (haven't heard any issues on the 4Runner)
3) The manual and auto tranny is from the Tacoma (again, no issues)
4) Its gonna be built in Japan :)
5) Toyota has a rock solid reputation for reliability

To be honest, I am a little nervous about plopping down 29k for a first year vehicle - just like I was when I bought my 95 tacoma.

However, I have alot of confidence in Toyota engineering and think this thing will be a tank and any 'issues' will be minor ones. So I think this will be a safe gamble.

Now having said all that - a smart thing to do would be to WAIT (arghhhH!!!!) and either buy one the second year OR buy one used.

I don't want to wait though :)

just my 2cents

·
Registered
99 Posts
no worries, mate..............it's a toyota! i know, i know, i may be somewhat biased, but there is no comparison with regards to the quality of their stuff, period. only honda's in the same league, and we know they don't do trucks.

·
Registered
162 Posts
All you really have to say is, "It's a Toyota!" No worries here.

Seriously though, why don't I have any worries? The FJC will be my 3rd Toyota 4x4 since I was able to drive. '86 truck, 154,000 miles, no issues. '94 Truck 135,000, no issues (Recall for a head gasket replacement in 2000, and the recent recall for the steering rod this year). My trucks have seen more back country Colorado roads than forest service trucks. Ok, well not quite that much, but the point is, they haven't been babied. They have a lower diff for a reason...

It's funny, when I started reading this forum about a little over a month ago, I was astounded as to the number of people on here who are lining up for the FJC, but are not Toyota owners. (I think it's great) However, I truly was expecting that the majority of the community here would be hardcore Toyota owners, most of which own or have owned Pickups, Tacomas, Tundras, 4runners, and Land Cruisers. I always chuckle when I read posts about waiting for the new Ford Ranger or now the H3 is a contender because it might be less expensive, or what about the jeep? (Note: My intent is not to offend anyone) Toyota's are not inexpensive cars, but when you keep a car as long as I do, that extra money you spend upfront holds up better over time with resale and especially reliability. That is something that all other truck/4x4 owners have a hard time arguing against and something that everyone buying the FJC should absolutely expect from Toyota. Period.

So again, why am I not worried? Other than all the historic data from auto magazines, and consumer reports, how about some real life examples. My family bought the first year '91 Previa when it came out. My Dad has 211,000 miles on it and there are still no issues (there was a recall to replace the windshield wiper). Wife drives a 95 Camry with 156,000 miles, (let's not get into how I get the FJC before she gets her new car) Uncle owned an '83 Land Cruiser, one sister drives a Tacoma, the other one drives a 4Runner. Brother-in-law has a 99 Camry with 80k miles on it. In-laws have a 93 Camry with 170,000 miles and 2002 Lexus with 2400 miles (they never drive it). Friends....blah blah blah. I could go on, but needless to say, out of all my family and friends who are Toyota owners, none of them have had bad experiences with their vehicles. Even if they were new models or a redesign.

I have been first on the waiting list for my FJC since March, and never has it crossed my mind that I should wait because it's a new model. Those of you with little experience in the Toyota market, rest assured you are in good hands, those of you who know Toyotas, why are you even reading this thread :p

·
Registered
3,086 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
No worries. Back when I was in dental school in Kansas City, I bought a 1980 Corolla hatchback, that, unbeknownst to me at the time, had been either in a flood or dropped in a Kansas catfish pond! I found out when a mechanic asked me a few years later why there was mud in the dashboard. I always wondered why the ododmeter had a brown spot every time the "8" rolled around. :eek:

Hey it ran like a dream!

My '99 Land Cruiser has 80,000 on it and got my only recall notice just 2 weeks ago-the wiring on the trailer hitch needs to be replaced... That's it!

I'd rather not miss out on another year's fun. And yeah, I'm keeping the LC. I'd hate myself if I sold it..

Chaz

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Placing my deposit tomorrow!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts