Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a relatively new FJ owner (bought a 2007 three months ago).

As the weather has turned cold in Indiana, I have been using the heater more. Today while traveling with my three Labrador Retrievers, the windows quickly became "fogged up" all around, and I had to use the defrost and crack the windows. I know their breath impacted this somewhat, but it seems odd to have to run the back defrost more than once in the drive.

I had a soft-top Jeep Wrangler for ten years, so this is something a bit "new" to me. Is there something I should do regarding the heat settings to help minimize the haze inside? Is this the norm when carrying people or animals around?

Thanks for any tips and suggestions

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Cracking the windows a bit is normal when driving with the dog.

The Owner's Manual, pages 171-178 (at least it is in my 2007 Owner's Manual) describes the recommended settings and other useful information. The short section on Defrosting is on page 177. The one thing you definitely want is to ensure the air flow is fresh, NOT recycle.

Reactions: Jrijr

·
Premium Member
1,724 Posts
With a Jeep there is some air flow through the top even when the windows are closed. This is why the windows didn't fog as much. Run your heater with the recirculation off and a-c on to keep the windows clear.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
#1 make sure the HVAC is set to fresh air (as pointed out by Kansas above). Usually that is enough (the setting should always be to "fresh" unless very hot day when first cooling down with AC, for like the first 10 min only, and also when driving through Gary, IN and the smell outside is too much - other than that it should always be set to fresh).

#2 if that isn't enough, turn on the AC (if it is cold out simply turn the heat up to compensate)

This is how ALL modern cars do it behind the scenes (the ones with the pushbutton heater controls), they operate the AC without telling you it is on, when the air humidity goes above a certain level. They also automatically revert to fresh air after a few minutes, or at least the next time you turn on the car.

N

1 - 6 of 6 Posts