Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've tried to condense "everything" about drive modes (H2, H4, L4), VSC, TRAC, A-TRAC, and ABS, when they are active, and what limits there are to their use.

The version shown below is valid for 4x4 AT models where A-TRAC can be engaged while the rear differential is locked (*)

(*) Note: A-TRAC can not be engaged on some early model FJ Cruisers. This, however, can be addressed by implementing the A-TRAC hack as described on this forum.

It makes sense to me now, but I'll gladly try to improve it, make it easier to understand, etc. Think "when my kid brother borrows my FJ, will he remember how to use the drive modes?" :worried: Or would it be relevant to put a sticker up on the key things to remember?

Anywho, it's just a Powerpoint 2007 file, so if anybody is interested I'd be happy to provide it so you can change it to your heart's content. ****EDIT: By request I have now attached it to the post. You just need to remove the .pdf extension so the the file extension is .pptx (Powerpoint).

(ok, I thought about putting this into the sticky thread "Making sense of TRAC, etc." but thought it would totally drown at the bottom of the thread swamp there. Maybe I'm wrong. But if this turns out useful it could easily be moved to the "right place" or whatever)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Can you make the picture bigger? Toyta Trail teams website has a flash movie of how these things work in great detail as well. I can't comment as I can't read some of the words...

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Dom, I'm on the cheapy 17" monitor that won't stop flickering. I tried to read it, I did!

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
okidoki :) here's a slightly less graphics intensive version with mph instead of kph.

***** EDIT: Newer version put into the top post instead...

·
Registered
696 Posts
I like this, very good way determine what functions when and where, and what systems are active and not according to what mode of drive you are in. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

:wave:
jb

·
Premium Member
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It would apply to 2007 ATs too (except for early builds without the Atrac Hack), non?
yes, the only cases where A-TRAC can operate while the rear diff is locked is:
  • TRD Special Edition
  • Model year 2008 onwards
  • Vehicles that have the A-TRAC hack
(so unless it's one of the above, the lower "A-TRAC" cell in the table would have to be red, indicating it's not operating.)

I guess, other hacks found on this forum that can change the picture include:
a) the Disable VSC hack --> enables you to disable VSC even while in H2
b) the Rear lock mod --> enables you to lock the rear diff even in H2 and H4

(Just a matter of personal taste; if I didn't have a 2008 FJ I would probably only go for the A-TRAC hack, since you could say this hack has now made it's way into the stock setup. The other hacks/mods are a bit too experimental for me, fiddling with core drive algorithms that are interdependent. But for those that really know what they are doing, go ahead)

·
Registered
696 Posts
This still raises the question about the ABS being on or off for those that have done the A-trac Hack on early 07's. I have noticed the ABS light comes on (indicating its off) when you have the Locker on. Makes sense cause you wouldn't want it to brake a wheel on the back while the Locker is on, would kill your power and might break something.

That said, for those that have done the A-Trac Hack, and have both A-Trac and the Locker on, the ABS light does not come on, indicating its still on (or is it really off and the Light just don't come on ?????) So, this being the Case, dose that mean that if you go above 6mph with the Locker on and A-trac on (being that the locker will not disengage on its own if you go over 6mph), and hit the brakes hard, could ABS brake the wheels at different times thus possibly causing damage to your Diff, blown diff, etc.

The 08's that don't need the A-trac Hack, would not have this problem because the ABS light comes on with both A-trac and the locker on, indicating its off.

Just some food for thought :thinkerg:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I think 2007 models with an actual 2007 build date can activate atrac and the rear locker without the hack:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...9-no-cut-trac-rr-diff-hack-14.html#post710061
EDIT: I'm not trying to be picky, just seeing if those with 2007 builds can make use of your chart as well.
  • TRD Special Edition
(so unless it's one of the above, the lower "A-TRAC" cell in the table would have to be red, indicating it's not operating.)

(Just a matter of personal taste; if I didn't have a 2008 FJ I would probably only go for the A-TRAC hack, since you could say this hack has now made it's way into the stock setup. The other hacks/mods are a bit too experimental for me, fiddling with core drive algorithms that are interdependent. But for those that really know what they are doing, go ahead)

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
(ok, I thought about putting this into the sticky thread "Making sense of TRAC, etc." but thought it would totally drown at the bottom of the thread swamp there. Maybe I'm wrong. But if this turns out useful it could easily be moved to the "right place" or whatever)
Only Moderators can designate a specific thread as a "Sticky." (And, we're trying to thin them out a bit before the entire concept of stickies loose their significance as the result of too many of them.)

However, your thread has been immortalized in the coveted FJ Cruiser Technical Articles - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum. Stickies may come and go, but your great thread will live on forever in there. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
There will be a VSC disable button in 2009 model. You may need two charts.

·
Registered
479 Posts
  • TRD Special Edition

Toyota made several running changes during the 07 model year. The first most noticeable one was the A/TRAC-Rear Diff mod to the TRD's. The next is the change in the front inner fenders which occurred Jan 07. I have a 2/07 build date and my owners manual states that A/TRAC and the rear diff can be activated at the same time. So some time after Toyota released the TRDs they incorporated the A/TRAC-Rear Diff mod into all 4x4 models (Auto and Manual) that came with the Rear Diff Lock. I think this change occurred concurrent with the new fenders in Jan 07 but I can only attest to it being done by my 2/07 build date.

·
fka JimmyHoops
2,837 Posts
Here's a good You Tube video explaining some of the features. It looks to be a training video from Toyota for their sales staff:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've tried to condense "everything" about drive modes (H2, H4, L4), VSC, TRAC, A-TRAC, and ABS, when they are active, and what limits there are to their use.

The version shown below is valid for 4x4 AT models where A-TRAC can be engaged while the rear differential is locked (*)

(*) Note: A-TRAC can not be engaged on some early model FJ Cruisers. This, however, can be addressed by implementing the A-TRAC hack as described on this forum.

It makes sense to me now, but I'll gladly try to improve it, make it easier to understand, etc. Think "when my kid brother borrows my FJ, will he remember how to use the drive modes?" :worried: Or would it be relevant to put a sticker up on the key things to remember?

Anywho, it's just a Powerpoint 2007 file, so if anybody is interested I'd be happy to provide it so you can change it to your heart's content. ****EDIT: By request I have now attached it to the post. You just need to remove the .pdf extension so the the file extension is .pptx (Powerpoint).

Actually just pm'd a contributor to the sister thread to this that is currently closed.... not realizing this one is still open.. please see message below re VSC still being active in 4WD mode:

Quoted message:

I was greatly informed by your thread re VSC; A-Trac... etc. I discovered it last year while trying to decipher the subtleties of all those sophisticated 'save your a$$' traction controls my 2012 6MT Cruiser is equipped with before playing in the snow a little. I was searching all kinds of websites and your post and the following infographic provided excellent summaries.

I was unsure of one point which I eventually decided to email Toyota about. That was your point about the VSC being deactivated when in 4WD. I drive the manual as indicated above, so in my case the point of concern would be when I lock my centre diff to go into full 4WD (or HL) mode. As I played around in a snow storm last year, it appeared as though my VSC still operated in both centre diff formats... i.e. when open as well as locked. In addition, the only time I got the VSC Off indicator light (other than when manually switching it off) was when I entered into 4WD Low mode (LL on my 6MT)....

So I posted the online question to Toyota USA and about a week later they confirmed my suspicion that VSC does not deactivate automatically when in full 4WD mode (at least for my model year - not sure if anything changed between 2007 and 2012 models). Please see my email and response below:

Recently you contacted Toyota. Below is a summary of your contact message and our response.

We will assume your issue has been resolved if we do not hear from you within 48 hours.

Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

Subject
VSC Operation

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Anita M.) 11/10/2015 08:46 AM
Dear Mr. John:
Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

We are sorry for any confusion regarding the operation of the VSC in your 2012 FJ Cruiser.

The VSC does not automatically disengage. The VSC can only be turned off by pushing the TRAC OFF button. This information is located in the 2012 FJ Cruiser Owner's Manual in the section titled Using Other Driving Systems page 180. We provided a snip it of the page below.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us via email by using the following link, Contact Us | Contact Toyota, or by calling 800-331-4331. We are available from 5 AM to 6 PM, Pacific Time, Monday through Friday and from 7 AM to 4 PM on Saturday.

Sincerely,
Anita M.
Toyota Customer Experience Center

Customer By Web Form (Sheldon John) 11/05/2015 08:53 AM
Hi there - I own a 2012 MT FJ Cruiser and have read on the FJ Cruiser Forums that the VSC system disengages when in 4WD (either 4H or HL respectively). I'm not sure that this is accurate information. Firstly the VSC Off indicator does not light up when I operate the vehicle in HL. Secondly, when I took my truck out for a spin in the snow last winter to check out the traction control systems, it appeard as though the VSC was still operating in HL, although I cannot be sure.

Can you please clarify that the VSC does in fact continue to function even when the truck is switched into full 4WD mode (MT specifically) and if/when at any speed does the VSC disengage (in either mode - H or HL). I am aware that the VSC and Trac systems do turn off in Low Range (LL) mode.

Is it possible that this system has changed from earlier to later models of FJ Cruisers.. (i.e. perhaps the 2007 models disengaged VSC in 4WD, while later [2012] models only switch VSC off in Low Range operation). Any information/clarification you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Sheldon John

·
Registered
999 Posts
OK. Kinda confused.

I don't have a TRAC button. Was it given as an option in later models. I have a early 2007.

Also what is the HACK we are talking about for the A-Trac ??

I know that I have to be in 4LO to operate my Diff Lock and also A-Trac.
Diff Lock has to be engaged for my A-Trac to be engaged. Correct?

·
Registered
237 Posts
OK. Kinda confused.

I don't have a TRAC button. Was it given as an option in later models. I have a early 2007.

Also what is the HACK we are talking about for the A-Trac ??

I know that I have to be in 4LO to operate my Diff Lock and also A-Trac.

Diff Lock has to be engaged for my A-Trac to be engaged. Correct?

The hack is to give early 2007 models the ability to use diff lock and atrac at the same time. Originally, diff lock disabled atrac.

With or without the hack. Diff lock and atrac can be engaged separately as long as you are in low range.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
279 Posts
So, I read the thread title quickly and "moved on" as I was sure I didn't have A-TRAC. Next day I get into the Cruiser and lo and behold, (blush) there is the "A-TRAC" button! Hey, it only took me four years to "remember" it was there. Give me a break! ;)
Your chart explains it well. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts