Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got a 4x2 FJ (Voodoo) and I love it and I'm looking for a great lift thats leveled out and I would like to know what I need to accomplish that.
I keep hearing if I just throw a lift kit on there it wont be leveled and that sounds like a nightmare haha but here is what I want to accomplish with the FJ

Light offroading
Head turning because its a sweet FJ!

I wont be using the FJ for crazy off roading just trails every now and then
I want about 3in in the front and back and im gonna stick 33s on.
I wanna get everything all at once so Im not confused about what I need
If anyone can help me out and send pictures of their 4x2 FJ lift that would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! (if you can't post a picture it helps if you could comment your setup below)

***Near North Georgia if anyone wants to help out!
Thanks for having me guys!

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
You can put Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks on the front and then put on 33" tires. I did the Summit with this setup in a 4x2.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should start by searching and reading suspension threads. There are so many addressing your questions.
Been doing that for quite some time now then I was just like screw it let me make an account and ask the questions.

Im leaning towards the 5100 but I want a noticable 3in lift, and I think that will just level it out which is fine, but how can I accomplish that 3in lift? or will the 5100 give it that as well.. Thank you

·
Desert Moderator
6,503 Posts
You can put any lift on your 2WD FJ and it will be almost identical to a 4WD's lift numbers.

Unless I'm mistaken, the only difference is about 75 lbs of front diff is missing.

Good luck! :cheers:
And the transfer case...

·
Desert Moderator
6,503 Posts
Been doing that for quite some time now then I was just like screw it let me make an account and ask the questions.

Im leaning towards the 5100 but I want a noticable 3in lift, and I think that will just level it out which is fine, but how can I accomplish that 3in lift? or will the 5100 give it that as well.. Thank you
If it's going to be mostly on the black stuff, just put a 2nd hand 3" spacer lift on it - It's the cheapest, easiest option, and if you want to spend $$$ on a suspension lift later, no great shakes & you can sell the spacer lift.
serious offroading or jumps with a spacer lift isn't recommended though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it's going to be mostly on the black stuff, just put a 2nd hand 3" spacer lift on it - It's the cheapest, easiest option, and if you want to spend $$$ on a suspension lift later, no great shakes & you can sell the spacer lift.
serious offroading or jumps with a spacer lift isn't recommended though.
Say I want to go with a supension lift for a 4x2 which would you recomend to really get a solid lift around 3in front and rear. (mind you the front is sitting lower then the rear) and ill be adding bigger tires more then likely 33's
doubt ill add a bumper or anything like that just yet.
**no heavy off roading more so looks for now**

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
And the transfer case...
True, I wonder how much weight difference there is between 2WD and 4WD? 200 lbs?

I've never even seen the underneath side of a 2WD FJ. No need for a transfer case skid so you should be able to gain some clearance there! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Spindle lifts are awesome for 2WD. The only problem I see is finding one that provides less than 4" of lift in the front. Might be a challenge matching that in the rear so it looks level. Definately a good option for the OP though. There is lots of talk about spindle lifts on the 4runner and Tacoma forum so you can do some searching there.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd go with the adjustable Bilstein 5100's. It says up to 2.5" of lift but at the highest perch with a stock bumper (and less weight than a 4wd) you could see 3"+ in the front. In the rear you could get Old Man Emu 2" coils and you'll have a nice lift. 33" BFG KO2's and you're set.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd go with the adjustable Bilstein 5100's. It says up to 2.5" of lift but at the highest perch with a stock bumper (and less weight than a 4wd) you could see 3"+ in the front. In the rear you could get Old Man Emu 2" coils and you'll have a nice lift. 33" BFG KO2's and you're set.
Gonna do some digging on that

·
Registered
26 Posts
I went with the Camburg spindle lift and the MetalTech Expedition long travel kit. It's not clear from their web site whether they are currently selling the standard or expedition grade or something different. I almost raised the rear end about 5", exceeding the height of the 4" spindle lift. Not a cheap way to go, but I'm definitely pleased with the on road and high speed dirt road handling.

A review of the rear springs (from when I bought them about 3 years ago) is provided below.
Metal Tech 4x4 Rear Long Travel Review | Off-Road Adventure

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts