Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am definitely a newb when it comes to wiring lights and the winch. Before I even get into the documentation and searches....I have a simple question. For those who have multiple electronic items attached to the battery, did you use any type of power block (if that's the correct name)? In other words, did you hook everything up to the battery directly, or some other device for orginization? Please, let me know and tell me what to purchase.

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Re: PIAA Lights and Winch Question

So far I have everything running direct to the oem battery with inline fuses. This includes 3 different led light bar assemblys, driving lights and a winch. In the very near future I will be setting up for a 2nd battery, already drained the oem once while leaving my leds on for a car show. When I am ready to do the 2nd battery I will also be doing some kind of fused distribution block. I'm sure others will chime in with various options and kits. If you do a search for spod you can find some existing setups currently in use.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent information! That's exactly what I need to look into. Thank you!

I remember using power distribution blocks back in the day for stereos and these appear to be similar, just more advanced/useful.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
An auxiliary fuse block is perfect for low-amperage accessories like radios, GPS, auxiliary gauges, relay triggers, and etc.

For high-amperage-draw items like winches, compressors, and some others, they need to be connected directly to a battery. This is when a dual-battery setup comes in real handy too.

To help control the cable clutter on single or dual batteries, I like to use the "military" style battery terminals available at NAPA and other places:

Battery Terminals and Copper Lugs

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1911 - I am glad you mentioned that. It's an important point that I would not have known.

As far as the 2nd battery, does it only take over when the primary battery is below useable levels? Or do the accessories draw from each battery equally? Like load balancing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
As far as the 2nd battery, does it only take over when the primary battery is below useable levels? Or do the accessories draw from each battery equally? Like load balancing?

Thanks
Typically you connect them with a big solenoid for an isolater and a switch that controls the solenoid, so that they are connected when the engine is on and the alternator can charge both, but then the islolator (solenoid) disconnects them when the engine is off, so that you can use your secondary battery all night long (for a fridge, lights, radio, whatever) and still know that your primary battery is able to start the truck in the morning. Mine also has an override setting that will connect both batteries at any time, for example winching in an emergency without the engine on.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Forget about the bluesea fuse box. I went that route at first, even went so far as to put them in waterproof enclosures. Look for the Bussman Fuse/Relay boxes. They are waterproof, use automotive minifuses, and can hold five mini relays. Makes wiring easier, safer, longer lasting, and cleaner. Takes up much less space too. I'll see if i can find the link to the store I bought them from. Thinking it was digikey.

Edit:

Found it, not digikey, but waytek:
http://order.waytekwire.com

Product numbers 46343 through 46346 inclusive

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1911- your detailed responses are much appreciated and truly helpful! Thank you!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info Loup407, I'll check that out as well. Still looking into things before I pull the trigger on anything. I also want to keep in mind 1911's advice about devices that draw more power. Thangs gents!

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
I ran a Bluesea fuse box for a while, but some months ago installed an sPod. (see 4x4 SPOD Since 2005 - The ORIGINAL JEEP Over The Windshield Switch Console - Jeep Power Distribution System) You get 6 fused and relayed circuits connected directly to your battery, with all the switches you need. Makes hooking up lights, compressors, etc., really easy, and your auxiliary electricals are isolated from the OEM system. It's dead easy to install.
Not wanting to hijack the thread here...but on the SPOD, is the circuit card with the relays encapsulated in any kind of sealant? You typically see this on mil grade and aviation stuff. The encapsulate the circuit cards in a rubberized material like Silicone to protect the traces on the board.

I have the Bluesea setup as well with the lighting relays mounted on the same plate that I made for the Bluesea, all mounted next to the steering column under the dash. I use two 40amp relays that feed theat when the truck is turned on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts