Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a 2 door SUV (4WD) for a while!
I have a 2 door RAV4(with 264K mi) and have not seen anything new that I like.
Like the Izusu Amigo and the Chevy Blazer ZR2 but have not found any that were acceptable.
Found an FJ, like the color and it seems in good shape. Has about 174k mi.
Drove well on the street and freeway. Good interior if a little closed in.

They are asking about $12k and I may be able able to get it for less.
Anything I should watch out for or have my mechanic check specifically?
Here are a couple of shots.

Attachments

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have an 11, and the only thing that I have read is there was a problem with fender bulge under the hood on some early 07s and weak differentials. Somebody with an 07 will probably chime in. If it has good maintiance records go for it. the price is a tad high for the milage, but looks well taken care of. Good looking rig, really like the blacked out hood, loose the ladder so you can open the back window.By the way they are 4 doors, back ones are suicide type. Good luck

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I had no Idea that the window would open.
I know about the doors and like them. Not quite just 2 doors, but also not quite 4 doors:)
I originally thought he suicide doors were on one side only:)
Defiantly has its own look :)
I have an appt to take it to my mechanic on Mon. If it passes.......

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
9,681 Posts
Its a lot of miles, but that price will typically get you 150-180K miles...so you are on the high end in my opinion. Looks fairly loaded. I bet the hood is vinyl?....I wonder if it is hiding anything, or if the PO really did just like the look....Lot of sun wear on the plastics, so it is probably not great underneath.

Like was said, yes the rear window opens, by turning the key in the rear lock for a few seconds, it 'pops'. Downside of the ladder, a lot of debris can get trapped between the black thing at the top of the window and the rear door...this is not the same area as when you open the door. Never know how many trees ect it may have been parked under and could be a nasty surprise.

Looks pretty well loaded, but make sure (if an automatic) that is has the rear locker. Check underneath for rust. If its rusty be prepared to snap skid plate bolts, have siezed strut bushings, lost lower control arm bushing adjustability ect.

·
Premium Member
16,348 Posts
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
35 Posts
With the engine fully warmed up to operating temp, leave it idle in drive for MIN 5min (time it). See if you get any check engine light. This is very important to check, and potential timing chain stretch is very expensive to repair.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
welcome

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone.
I will be getting a carfax this morning and having my Mech look it over will look it over around noon!

Little Joe, I will check the Timing chin stretch.
The fact that it HAS a timing chain vs belt was one of the first things I verified.

I was told that the vinyl on the hood was film for rock chips. I had clear on my Pontiac Solstice.
I don't know of a way to check it without removing it. Perhaps a fingertip check looking for soft spots?

Is there an easy way to verify a rear locker?
Joe

·
Registered
181 Posts
Switch would be in the bank of switches underneath the head unit, ie RR diff lock, ATRAC, traction control ,etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, I found it.
Mechanic found a couple of small issues and the CV boot gone on one side and leaving on the other.
Car lot is fixing them!

The lights on the mirrors are what? Turn signals, marker lights, sensors for high beams, Lasers :) ?
If turn signals, they are not working and they will fix those.

Carfax shows 2 owners in Redding CA. No Accidents and all servicing thru the dealer.
Shows value at $14.3K. At $12k it looks like a fairly good deal!

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
The Mirror lights are not blinkers . What part of Oregon are you in ?

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Well if you do end up buying it i have some clean silver bumper ends you are welcome to . i am 1.5 hours south of you .

You can upgrade the mirror lights with LEDs from Diode Dynamics be about as close to lazers as you will get

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kewl:)

Well I pulled the trigger.
The Car lot is repairing the items my mechanic found and I bought it for $12k
Now looking for some better front and rear bumpers and, of course, some fresnel lenses for the Mirrors:)
Thanks for all your help:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts