Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a 2007 FJ with 130k miles, but the issue is that the vehicle has a salvage title. When I asked about the wreck, the seller said that the vehicle had collided head-on with a pole, and had been rebuilt to fully functioning condition and said the only affected parts of the car during the wreck were the front bumper and the grille (which have both been replaced). He provided me with photos of the vehicle before restoration, which I've included with this post.

Does anyone have any recommendations for this? I am wary of buying a car with a salvage title, but don't have a huge budget at the time. My main concerns are dependability - i want to drive this thing to its 300k (or more) death, but I can't be sure what the probability of that is considering the damage.

FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.22.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.23.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 3.23.45 PM.png

·
Premium Member
12,417 Posts
I would walk away. To many bad gaps between bodylines, body and bumper, bumper look C**ckeyed even the bumperettes (wings look bad) missing trim below the headlight also looks like the rubber trim on the hood is missing. IMO I would offer no more than $5k and be prepared for some work.

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
That's a severe dead-center hit, the primary air bags undoubtedly fired, and a LOT more critical structural parts were affected beyond just the grill and bumper; that's why the insurance company totaled it.

Either the guy is lying to try to minimize the severity of the crash, or he's totally ignorant of what work was actually done. In either case, not a good sign.

Given that level of damage, the number of parts that would have needed to be replaced is too long to list here.

It looks like multiple aftermarket parts were used, never a sign of top-quality repair. And, just looking at the front view, the hood doesn't appear to be properly aligned with the fenders. If the air bags weren't replaced, it's a potential future fatality.

Looks OK from a distance, reasonable mileage, reasonable price for a NON-SALVAGE 4WD vehicle, but ... WALK AWAY. Without any type of warranty, don't commit to a potential disaster.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Agree with Mikey. Price is nowhere near what I’d be willing to pay for a vehicle in this condition. In that price range, you should be able to get something without a salvage title and either lower miles, or built out a bit.

·
Registered
859 Posts
The quality of the body work is an indication of the likely quality of the mechanical work, and there was mechanical work.
This is not the FJ you are looking for. Good luck with your search - it is out there!

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Oh man that thing is a mess. PASS ON IT! You can find a decent one for $11K somewhere else. :)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I’ve purchased salvage title / wreck repairs that turned out to be great vehicles. The original damage and repairs were well documented. They looked good as new at the time of purchase. And the purchase prices were well below market considering the circumstances. The obvious flaws here are not a good sign. You can do way better for that price. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
254 Posts
That’s a big no, you’d be mental paying anywhere near that, maaaaaaybe half of asking and that’s a big maybe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Run. That looks totally hacked back together. I can only imagine how bad the structural work is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts