Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've done a bit of searching on the forum and there is very little mention of the Conti TerrainContact tires.
It looks like they are available in a 285/70/17 and a 265/70/17 with an E rating + also as a 265/70/17 in a standard rating.

This is for a our newly purchased, used 2014 FJ. It will be used 100% on road with occasional expeditions over Los Angeles freeway potholes and traversing over parking bumpers at the mall (wife's car). The previous owner installed a 3 inch lift and Pro Comp Xtreme 17x9 wheels and the dealer replaced the Pro Comp tires before putting out for sale with the nobbbiest tires they could find... Rolling Big Power Repulsor M/T - LT 285-70-R17 (121/118Q) tires. (For those of you wondering if this will rub, it does not).

These tires/wheels might be fine for froading, but I'm selling the lot. And I know I will be ridiculed for subjecting my poor FJ a dull world of asphalt instead of the mud, snow and grit it deserves, but we would like to make it a lot quieter, and improve the mileage at the same time. I have Continental Terrain Contact 18" Standard Load tires on my 2011 4x4 Pathfinder and after 40K miles am looking to replace them with the same because I'm so happy with them. Very quiet, improved ride over the Goodyears that i replaced.

So obviously the same Contis that I am pleased with on my Pathy are on my wish list for the FJ, in the standard rating 265/70-17, along with stock TRD 17x7" rims. (I realize they will look small with a 3" lift).
Does anyone on this list run the Terrain Contacts on their FJ? Any reason not to?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's like a year and a half later since this post was made that got no love, but I wanted to report that I just got these tires today and I love them. Exactly what me as someone who spends 98% their time on pavement wants and needs. It's an aggressive looking, beefy all terrain tire that is good enough off-road and excels on-road.

I actually first got some 285/75/16 Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s, which looked absolutely badass and probably kick it on rocks, but that's what they drove like even after deflating to 32psi...rocks. These MT tires behave more like mud tires, whereas the 285/75/16 Continental Contact A/Ts feel closer to all-season tires on the road.

I did some research on the best riding all-terrain tires because I realized how important ride was to me which led me to the Continentals. So then I took back the MTs, got these, and so far I'really happy.

And to answer to age old debate, this size tire fits great with stock suspension with absolutely no rubbing as long as you unscrew the unnecessary front mudflap, which only takes a couple minutes.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.