Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock 4 pole harness. In October I'm going to be renting a camper for a few days, and it has a 7 pole harness. The owner of the camper tells me that I'll need to have a conversion physically installed, that there isn't a simple adapter I can just plug in between my harness and the campers. Is this accurate? If so, can anyone recommend a decent conversion that I can purchase? Ideally something that doesn't involve drilling into my bumper; if possible I'd like to mount it to the frame somewhere behind my bumper so it's out of sight. The owner of the camper said its wiring is plenty long enough to reach behind the bumper.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You don't just need an adapter. One of the 7 pins is for brakes. If the trailer you're renting has brakes you need a brake controller. Trailer brakes are required by law in some cases. You'll be in a heap of trouble with your insurance company and anyone else involved if you have an accident and you don't have the brakes working. Not to mention, they make it so much nicer and less stressful going down the road. And whoever is renting you the trailer probably isn't going to let you hook up to it without a brake controller.

TT

·
Registered
402 Posts
Ideally something that doesn't involve drilling into my bumper; if possible I'd like to mount it to the frame somewhere behind my bumper so it's out of sight.
IMO, the "way to go" is to get a 4-pole connector to plug into your existing connector, run the other wires towards the back, and put all of them into a 7-pole connector which you mount to the frame. That way if you ever tow something with a 4-pole, you can just unplug that part and use it - and you don't have to carry around any adapters.

I mounted my tow harness as pictured. More detail here.

In my case, a previous owner (or dealer? It looked pretty amateur, though) had already run the wiring so I can't speak to that process; all I did was order a mount plate from Amazon and bolt (you could screw if there aren't any threaded holes handy) it inside the rear frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
What 101Firedog did ^^^^^. However, one more caveat: Check with your friend to see if the 7 pin connector is the blade type or the pin type. You want to get the correct and therefore compatible plug with his.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I purchased an adapter that plugs into the 4 pin and mounted the 7 pin. I am almost 3k miles away from my FJ now so, I can't send a picture. it works great and I still have the 4 pin available to use. I haven't seen any FJ's here in Iceland but wait till I share the pictures of their awesome off-roaders!

·
A-Team Moderator
8,765 Posts
Like was said, You'll need details on what that unit has on it so you can get the right equipment installed on your FJC. Be Safe and Have Fun! :cheers:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-Towing-Solutions-47185-Multi-Tow/dp/B0002Q80GS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531087608&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=hopkins+40974+multi-tow+7+blade+and+4+flat+connector

The FJ's OEM flat 4 harness plugs into the back of this, then run the other 3 wires for power and brakes = Brake Controller. I use a Primus IQ controller.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, this is great info. Also to clear up some points that have been made, I do know that the trailer has the 7 pin blade type connector and a brake controller is not necessary (though of course the owner said one is certainly helpful if I happen to have one).

·
Registered
264 Posts
According to the internet, Ohio law requires trailer brakes for trailers over 3000 lbs. How much does this trailer weigh? The law tranlates to your liability if you're in an accident, potentially even if the accident isn't your fault. The guy renting you the trailer may not care about any of that because he knows you're going to pay if you don't bring the trailer back in the same condition you got it. And he isn't paying for your front end or the rear end of the guy you hit.

If this is a one time deal and you're only going across town, maybe chance it. If you're going down the road a ways, your a$$ could be on the line, and after one quick stop you will totally understand what I meant earlier about the stress of pulling a trailer without brakes.

They make wireless brake controllers. You pay a premium for wireless but there are no installation expenses, and no installation effort.

Of course, a weight distributing hitch with sway control might be a good idea, as well as an auxiliary transmission cooler.

TT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts