Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone.

I'm wondering if any of you have done any conversions of FJ cruisers to either full-electric or 'hybrid'.
What I am wondering about is adding extra electric motors to the 'vacant' wheels on a 2wd. . .partially as a way to also get extra gas mileage.

I know it might sound ridiculous--I searched the forum, and hesitated to even post about this because I know it might sound ridiculous--but I am seeing how electric manufacturers are putting several electric motors throughout their vehicles.

'Specs' for the new electric Hummer include up to THREE engines--one for the main drive, and the other two for each remaining wheel.

Asking because I'm (begrudgingly) looking at a 2wd when I'd like a 4wd. . .and because I like the idea of tinkering.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no engineer, but I have the sense that this would be a massively complex and expensive mod.
You're probably right, which is why I asked if anyone has done anything like this.
But it doesn't seem impossible.
I follow a couple of the dudes who do electric mods and electric rat rods on youtube. They make the idea seem accessible. Esp. with FJs, since people like modding them so much--thought there might be people who've tried this particular one, or something like it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will check it out.
This guy converted an old manual tranny geo metro--yeah, it's a metro--using an electric forklift motor he found at the junkyard. So I'm thinking about existing and readily available tech as well.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
Because an electric motor provides peak torque at 0 rpm, the real advantage of an electric swap is to eliminate the entire drivetrain, differentials, transmission and all, and replace with 2 or 4 motors and a ton of batteries. The challenge with making a great, off road 4WD vehicle, which would be amazingly tractable while rock crawling, would be working out the controls of the various motors to provide the desired effect.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
"Is a Tesla’s variable controls basically the same as a battery powered forklift?"

Actually, it is really quite amazing what Tesla did with their electronic controls. Truly way beyond what everyone else in the automotive industry has done yet. It is fascinating reading the reports by the third party testing companies and what they've found when doing detailed teardown analysis of the Tesla vehicles.

Now, for a one-off build, perhaps far less than that could be got away with. But, building a 2WD electric is still a lot easier than making a 4WD work really well for rock crawling (to continuously split the power to the wheel(s) with the most traction).

N

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
" the long-term expense of fuel."

Ford has doubled down on fuel remaining cheap for the foreseeable future and has dropped development of all passenger cars, focusing entirely on SUVs and trucks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
" the long-term expense of fuel."

Ford has doubled down on fuel remaining cheap for the foreseeable future and has dropped development of all passenger cars, focusing entirely on SUVs and trucks.
Yes. ..and as an owner of Ford Stock, I've been watching its value decrease pretty significantly even before the Monday's big selloff. Maybe not the best decision.

I also know that one of the leading factor behind FJs discontinuation was that rising gas prices were making them a cost-prohibitive thing to own, particularly as a recession was going on. Just imagine if Toyota tooled the electric or hybrid FJ then?
Damn it would be a beautiful world with all them on the road!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts