Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can't help myself, have to ask...

How well will it handle water crossings?
That's a reasonable question/concern. . .especially since my last vehicle--a Nissan Rogue--was flooded and subsequently totaled following brief storm here in New Orleans. So when it comes to going EV/hybrid, I wonder that myself.
But, considering that underwater drones have been used with great success since the 80s, at least, and that they're also "EV". . .I'm guess that's the kind of tech one would one to implement.

·
Premium Member
1,773 Posts
to make everything submersible, all of the electronic units would have to be inside of waterproof housings, with either a long snorkel or a gortex breather and all waterproof wire harness connectors, and the housings pressure tested to confirm they're doing their job before going in the water

definitely doable, but those additional housings would take up a lot of room and some would have to be quite large to fit everything

and some of the electrical devices create a great deal of heat, so the usual fan cooling would be off the table and some kind of liquid x air cooling system created/added to each one, similar to what OEMs use to prevent their lithium ion batteries from overheating

There's an interesting youtube series by a guy who bought a flood damaged Tesla, and the monumental amount of work he had to do, to make it function again.

Battery powered cars are only simple/easy when the environment is also easy (like in California and the "smile states"). Dealing with cold winters, and water fording and some other things, raises the level of difficulty a great deal.

·
Registered
2013 FJ Cruiser #885/2500
3 Posts
" the long-term expense of fuel."

Ford has doubled down on fuel remaining cheap for the foreseeable future and has dropped development of all passenger cars, focusing entirely on SUVs and trucks.
I agree, fuel sources are very high and I don’t see an issue with that in the near future.

Not sure who put that in our minds that electric saves you money. The extra cost of electric and hassle of charging (I see them all standing around at a local Tesla Charge StAtion) is NOT WORTH IT.

I suggest selling the 2wd & buying a 4wd. The cost of gas is low. If distance is an issue then add some tanks. You could add 8 Gallons on top and 10 Gallons on the back. THATS 37 Gallons and at 15-18.5mpg with premium thats 555-666 Miles on one Tank for less then 100$

Always use premium in your FJ, Toyota Has labeled it “unleaded” simply to keep their entire production of vehicles under the mandated regulations.

It has added about an extra 2mpg to my drives.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is starting to be products to make such a project viable.

AEM is coming out with an ecu that allows for EV or hybrid conversion.

I bet there’s a transmission that has a built in electric motor between transmission and engine. The electric motor can provide enough low end torque that a low range won’t be needed. Maybe the gas motor can probably be downsized to act more as a generator. Extra batteries can be added as a modular product that look like rotopax on a rear bumper carrier or side carriers in addition to batteries in the rear cargo floor.

also there’s companies like this.

Still cheaper to have the FJ for weekends and have a TESLA Performance model 3 for weekday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This discussion is way above my pay grade with regards to intelligent discussion on the technology of it, but thank you for asking this question. I have often wondered this myself...as I love my FJ for my outdoor adventures, but also am an environmental professional that would love to reduce my carbon footprint.

I will keep checking this post...maybe one day in the somewhat near future we will have some better options.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yes. ..and as an owner of Ford Stock, I've been watching its value decrease pretty significantly even before the Monday's big selloff. Maybe not the best decision.

I also know that one of the leading factor behind FJs discontinuation was that rising gas prices were making them a cost-prohibitive thing to own, particularly as a recession was going on. Just imagine if Toyota tooled the electric or hybrid FJ then?
Damn it would be a beautiful world with all them on the road!
Kumbaya!

·
Registered
186 Posts
The search for the Holy Grail is a tempting path. One must have unlimited resources and a company named Tesla to reach such lofty goals. Looking for investors?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can see this working well for performance but not fuel economy. I am an industrial service electrician and I can tell you the tech and parts needed for what you want are off the shelf available. They would not be tinker level cheap but if you could conceivably buy parts from auctions and ebay. As others have astutely mentioned if you can afford this level of engineering, fuel cost wouldn't be a concern. You'd need either a good amount of time for the steep theoretical and programming learning curve OR a partner that knows it. (or pay a professional industrial service tech)

If you're unaware ther's the Rivian R1T coming out. Full electric pick up truck. A motor for each wheel. Too rich for my blood but knowing full well how electric motors work I am super excited for this concept. I am willing to bet you wont ever save money installing motors on your FJ's wheels. Unless gas goes to the point you simply can't afford it at all you'll never recoup the cost in money and time you put into it. However, I very much want to see this and I think the performance gains could well be worth it. If you do it, PLEASE create a thread about it here. Goodluck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I appreciate the cautious optimism (or at least curiosity) coming from someone who works in a related field. If I was going to embark on this journey--and some of the 'haters' in this thread make me want to do it even more--I will document the process and definitely show it off.
And, yes, maybe the idea of trying to make a 2wd a 4wd can be a little too involved and cumbersome, but at the time I thinking about a 2wd.
Also, I've linked a couple of videos below showing an actual EV conversion of a FJ40 that seems successful. You might want to check them out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
This discussion is way above my pay grade with regards to intelligent discussion on the technology of it, but thank you for asking this question. I have often wondered this myself...as I love my FJ for my outdoor adventures, but also am an environmental professional that would love to reduce my carbon footprint.

I will keep checking this post...maybe one day in the somewhat near future we will have some better options.
Thanks for sharing your interest! I was beginning to think that all FJ owners loved guzzling gas, gauging by some of the reactions.

I have put a couple of links below to an FJ40 that was converted not long ago by a company (?) called Electric GT. Check them out.

And I will definitely try and keep posted if/when I try this. But, first, I gotta BUY my FJ. (It's not for lack of trying.)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes. ..and as an owner of Ford Stock, I've been watching its value decrease pretty significantly even before the Monday's big selloff. Maybe not the best decision.

I also know that one of the leading factor behind FJs discontinuation was that rising gas prices were making them a cost-prohibitive thing to own, particularly as a recession was going on. Just imagine if Toyota tooled the electric or hybrid FJ then?
Damn it would be a beautiful world with all them on the road!
I believe your analysis of the end of production for the FJ is incorrect. Gas prices have held pretty stable over the last decade largely due to the shale oil boom making the US more energy independent, and in fact prices have been downright cheap when inflation adjusted. Yes, the financial collapse impacted sales significantly when compared to typical vehicles, but the FJ is not typical. People that were buying cars in the wake of the financial crisis were "need to buy" customers, and almost nobody "needs" an FJ. There was also not much disposable income in the demographic the FJ appealed to, and it's quirky design limited mass appeal. It's a shame too, because I believe if you give it four real doors, a drop top, improve sightlines, and give it a more rugged makeover, you'd have a Jeep-killer.

I think the complexity and cost of integrating hybrid technology to be beyond the reach of a one off shade tree project, plus hybrids lose their a lot of their fuel economy advantage as vehciles get larger and heavier. Electric conversion would be more straightforward, and still likely very expensive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Everyone.

I'm wondering if any of you have done any conversions of FJ cruisers to either full-electric or 'hybrid'.
What I am wondering about is adding extra electric motors to the 'vacant' wheels on a 2wd. . .partially as a way to also get extra gas mileage.

I know it might sound ridiculous--I searched the forum, and hesitated to even post about this because I know it might sound ridiculous--but I am seeing how electric manufacturers are putting several electric motors throughout their vehicles.

'Specs' for the new electric Hummer include up to THREE engines--one for the main drive, and the other two for each remaining wheel.

Asking because I'm (begrudgingly) looking at a 2wd when I'd like a 4wd. . .and because I like the idea of tinkering.

Thanks!

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,892 Posts
I've read a little into electric conversions. With enough money, planning, and patience anything is possible. The problem is it depends on how much you are willing to spend. You could easily spend more money than the FJ is worth in doing the conversion. Would it be one of a kind? Yes. But is it realistic? Probably not. Some companies to electric swaps for certain prices depending on the vehicle. I know there is once company that specializes in doing old VW Beetles and they are super successful at it and since it is a simple swap and they do it a lot it is cheaper, but the FJ would have to be custom done. There are videos online of how it can be done to other types of cars so those can act as a guide, but one thing to consider is the engine's belt provides for a lot of the systems of the car that would have to be replaced by aftermarket components, so for example you wouldn't have any more heating/air conditioning unless you paid to have a system that runs just off electricity. Would be neat to see it done, but I would never do the swap myself.

·
Premium Member
4,719 Posts
I was beginning to think that all FJ owners loved guzzling gas, gauging by some of the reactions.
It would be more correct to say that we've all accepted the FJ's MPG as a trade-off for what it is capable of doing.

We've seen people spend financially irresponsible amounts of money chasing 2-3 MPGs. In your specific case, in addition to the FJ you should take that money and buy a used Prius. When going offroad, drive the FJ. When daily-driving / staying on-road, drive the Prius. Problem solved.

FJ's are terrible vehicles on the road. Horrible visibility, slow, lumbering, bad handling. You tolerate road driving in an FJ to get to a place where the FJ can do its thing.

My daily-driver is a Tesla Model 3. Fast, much more technologically advanced than any Toyota, gets the equivalent of 90 MPG (that's real-world numbers on my car). But I still had an FJ (and now 4Runner) for bad weather and going offroad.

Don't spend a bunch of money trying to make an FJ something it isn't. Buy two (or more, we have 4) niche cars instead, one of which being the FJ. You'll end up liking your FJ a lot more when you only do things with it that it's good at.

·
Banned
890 Posts
I think the thing to do is to change out to a diesel if the gas engine dies. make your own sludge to burn and drive it another 25 years.
but that’s, like, my opinion man.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts