Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
My one pass through the RTT-In or Not-Yellowstone subject showed that a nearby/next to Yellowstone campground outside the park (BLM, Nat Forest?) does not allow soft sided sleeping but no mention of that restriction inside the park.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Cook in camp, then when something comes along looking for food, you can kill and eat it as well!

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,832 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
I think people, especially those who aren't around bear country, worry a little too much. I used to as well. Living in Colorado I dont feed the bears but I have a trasharoo filled with garbage, I leave the skottle out after cooking with a lid on it. I do put my cook boxes and marshmellows on top of the roof rack. I back country hunt and I even stopped carrying a pistol out there. Black bears generally high tail it when they see a person. In major camping areas in Aspen I have heard of people watching their vehicle getting ripped apart while sitting in their tent, but its not like bears are out to get you.

Be careful but dont be scared. There are things you read like "black bears attack more people than grizzlies" but there are way more people living around black bears than grizzlies. I believe there are more instances that moose cause harm to people than black bears do.

Never had a bear in my camp, but I see them in the backcountry a lot, sleeping in an ultralight tipi. I do hang my food but have no issues with them. I always pee a perimeter around the camp site and let the dogs do the same and maybe that helps. That might be a silly concept but once the beer starts flowing I gotta go anyway!

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I think people, especially those who aren't around bear country, worry a little too much. I used to as well. Living in Colorado I dont feed the bears but I have a trasharoo filled with garbage, I leave the skottle out after cooking with a lid on it. I do put my cook boxes and marshmellows on top of the roof rack. I back country hunt and I even stopped carrying a pistol out there. Black bears generally high tail it when they see a person. In major camping areas in Aspen I have heard of people watching their vehicle getting ripped apart while sitting in their tent, but its not like bears are out to get you.

Be careful but dont be scared. There are things you read like "black bears attack more people than grizzlies" but there are way more people living around black bears than grizzlies. I believe there are more instances that moose cause harm to people than black bears do.

Never had a bear in my camp, but I see them in the backcountry a lot, sleeping in an ultralight tipi. I do hang my food but have no issues with them. I always pee a perimeter around the camp site and let the dogs do the same and maybe that helps. That might be a silly concept but once the beer starts flowing I gotta go anyway!
Yep, I'm likely making a mountain out of a mole-hill. It's a thought I had while dreaming about one of those fancy trailers with RTT's :D

I camp in the remote wilderness in black bear country. I kinda consider them to be nosy black labs... :lol: but more skittish.

I wasn't necessarily concerned about bears attacking us (although I do already have backup plans for that)... it's more of having them start tearing apart an extremely expensive trailer to get at the food and also perhaps the tent too.

·
トヨタ Master
5,778 Posts
I always pee a perimeter around the camp site and let the dogs do the same and maybe that helps. That might be a silly concept but once the beer starts flowing I gotta go anyway!
I'm the same way. Nobody ever told me to do that, but I rarely go in the same spot and I'm always close to a cooler. I never really thought about it. :lol:

·
Admin
6,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
....I always pee a perimeter around the camp site and let the dogs do the same and maybe that helps. That might be a silly concept but once the beer starts flowing I gotta go anyway!
I'm the same way. Nobody ever told me to do that, but I rarely go in the same spot and I'm always close to a cooler. I never really thought about it. :lol:
I do this as well... just not a true perimeter... I've heard it keeps the mice away too (I have more fear a mouse will chew on my thousand dollar tent than I do a bear attack, lol!)

I'll try to put more focus on doing an actual perimeter.

:cheers:

·
Registered
771 Posts
This is our camp kitchen. Its a sealed lowes tool box with integrated table.

All the cooking is done here we pull it out of the trailer and drag it away then cook. When we are done we close it up and leave it there until we leave the next day. When I get around to converting the trailer to an enclosed I'll still have a table that is remote and cook there. Also we tend to go in groups of people and (A) large groups tend to keep the wildlife away and (B) in a large group you don't need to worry about being smell free just not the most interesting smell and that helps when camping with a 1 year old.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts