Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the FJ TT for a week now and have almost 300 miles on it.. I drove 50 miles today and noticed when I stopped that there was a puddle of coolant neat the right front tire. I was in a public lot so thought it was from the car before me. Later I went to the gym (about 4 miles) and when I left, there was that same puddle of green coolant.. It is 95 degrees here in Houston today but didn't think I should be loosing coolant. The engine is not running hot (needle is below the middle of the gauge).
Should I be concerned?

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Open up the hood before you do anything else. There is a reserve container of fluid. Should be next to the washer fluid if i remember correctly. Check the level of that. Also, see if you can find where the fluid was coming from. You should see it all over that container. If not, you may have a leak. Which is strange, but possible.

·
Registered
639 Posts
If your coolant is green, your motor should be replaced (I think).

The coolant that the FJ NEEDS is pink from the factory (or mine is).
And I have to say it is a real bright pink.
Check your overflow bottle, if it is green, take the truck back, and have your dealer look at it.
The wrong coolant will damage the motor.
I am sure someone on the forum will correct me if I am wrong, but as far as I know, green coolant is death for this motor. It needs the new stuff - only.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The coolant that the FJ NEEDS is pink from the factory (or mine is).
And I have to say it is a real bright pink.
Yep.. My coolant is Pink.. My imagination got away from me... My VW 1.8 turbo blew a head gasket last week and I'm still paranoid about overheating.. lol. Thanks for the help.. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
I've had the FJ TT for a week now and have almost 300 miles on it.. I drove 50 miles today and noticed when I stopped that there was a puddle of coolant neat the right front tire. I was in a public lot so thought it was from the car before me. Later I went to the gym (about 4 miles) and when I left, there was that same puddle of green coolant.. It is 95 degrees here in Houston today but didn't think I should be loosing coolant. The engine is not running hot (needle is below the middle of the gauge).
Should I be concerned?
is it leaking on the front or the back of the "front" tire? Only reason I asked is because I had the same concern too but figured it out what it was. If its leaking on the back of the front tire,(make sense?) almost sure that it is your window washer fluid. Mines my washer fluid is green and my coolant is pink.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That's what I'm thinking as well.. OP.. The AC condensate will be directly behind the right front tire. Ron

Are you positive that it's coolant, and if so from your truck? The A/C condenser drain empties near your right front tire and will leave a puddle every time your drive with the A/C on.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
I lifted the hood a couple weeks ago, and saw that my coolant reservoir puked all over the engine bay on the passenger side. It happened a while ago, as evidenced by the impossible-to-remove residue all over. The tank was still full, though, so no other issues other than a mess under the hood.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts