Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my never ending search for the best tire for on/off road and good winter traction I have noticed the COOPER DISCOVERER A/T3 and I was wondering if any of you have had any experience with these tires?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Called a cooper dealer and found out they are only 4 ply...would that be sufficient for moderately rocky terrain?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm actually replacing my Cooper Discoverer stt mt's with these tomorrow. They look to be a great all terrain tire and I believe they are 10 ply, at least this is what the tire shop stated.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I'm running these and found they did very well all around. They've even got some pretty decent grip when cornering. My only complaint/concern is that they track weirdly. The truck tends to shoot off a little with them. I still need to do a rotation to see if that will fix it, but other than that I'm really happy with them.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apparently the come with different ply configurations, but the guy at the dealer told me that in 265/70R17 they only come in 4 ply. Only about 5-10 percent of my driving is moderatly nasty terrain, while 50% pavement 45% dirt/gravel. Honestly you could buy an extra tire if you busted a sidewall and still save over a set of BFG AT KO's for example, and have better winter traction.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
According to the cooper website they should be available in STD, C, and E load ratings. Maybe they just aren't available yet, I think they recently came to market.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got back from getting my at3's and so far i love them. Much smoother ride from the Cooper discoverer stt mt's. There a lot quieter as well, barley any road noise at all. I haven't driven much but i noticed they didn't suck the gas like the other tires did.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I have STT's in 285/70/17 and they're awesome. I'll continue to buy Cooper. I've had nothing but success with them. (Had a set of their passenger car tires on my Suby too).

If it turns out you can't get 10ply in 265 I guess you'll just be *forced* to go bigger and get some 285's :lol:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wish ha ha, really don't want to do a body mount chop on a brand new FJ! I don't think Toyota would think very highly of that ha ha ha.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I wish ha ha, really don't want to do a body mount chop on a brand new FJ! I don't think Toyota would think very highly of that ha ha ha.

FWIW I'm running 285's with stock suspension and a HEAVY ARB bumper (will be upgrading suspension soon.. OME heavy), and I only rub when turning at full lock with the FJ on a bit of a grade... Mostly when I'm coming out of work...it's an odd turn. I was worried about it at the time too, but it really hasn't been an issue. I was more worried about them rubbing the UCA's but that hasn't been an issue either..

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up deciding to go with these tires. Found a place that had the C load rated (6 ply). They are pretty quiet on the highway and have a pretty smooth ride. I do notice that they track a little weird too, but I'm used to the stock highway tires. Over all I think they are good looking tires and hopefully they perform well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am very fond of the Yokahama geolander MT's they are great on road not to noisy nd they are great offroad went to little moab and played on the rocks and had great traction and played in the mud and they were awesome there also. i run 265 70 17 and have a three inch lift and it looks great....

·
Registered
645 Posts
Found allot of great reviews for these tires, friend of mine owns a tire shop and suggested these on personal experience(over the BF AT for our purposes) AND he can get me them for 139$ a piece and will mount\install for free(with my help), so yea since were on a budget this was a no brainer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I did so much research on those tires and the one thing that I was really hoping for was to NOT be that guy with an issue

I know it has been a while, but I would like to resurrect this thread because I bought Cooper Discoverer AT/3 and had the same issue as another member with some shimming. (same model/size tires!)

Stock FJ, no lift, 17 wheels and here I go happy to buy a 275/70/17 C load and after driving for a few I notice some shimmy above 55mph and it goes away above 65mph. Came back twice to rebalance and no bueno. Alignment is good, so I here thinking there must be a bad batch (lot) or something.

Also, I do have to tell you all that one of the tires that first came in was defective, the outer threads had an oval downward inclination on both sides, noticeable to the touch and to the eyes. That tire was replaced but I did really raise a red flag.

This is the 4th time I had to go back to the shop and they offered me any new set of 4 tires since I didn't put much mileage on the ones I currently have.

What do you guys recommend?

At this point I am really thinking about going back to stock, 265 size. Minimal difference between a 265, 275 and 285. I do 90% of road/highway driving and trying to get a big tire would just be for looks, but it would hurt my wallet since mpg sucks! I am still under warranty so not going to take the FJ out to do crazy **** or either do a BMC and risk it.

265/70/17 would do everything a 285 would do right? I live in VA and def not rock crawling or mudding much...

Any help from this awesome forum people would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts