Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· トヨタ Master
27,289 Posts
Re: Goose Gear Cargo Drawers Installed 10-22-2017

The cargobox I have had in my FJ Cruiser since day one was actually made for my '91 4Runner by a carpenter at Boeing.
It is heavy, very thick, and not a lot of room inside of it, but it has done the job since July of 2006 for the FJ.

Lately I have been thinking of a new drawer setup that is light weight, durable, bigger inside, and good looking :)
The Goose Gear stuff caught my attention, but it is not cheap, but it is very well made, and a lot of folk's are running their stuff in their rigs.
I contacted Brain there, and began a dialogue of what size we could come up with to work best in my FJ Cruiser.

At a future date I will get the FJC plate system that bolts down in the back of the FJ utilizing the cargo hold down bolts.
The cargobox will tie in with it, and also bolt to it making it much safer.

At first I was thinking of getting two of the taller drawer modules you can see listed on their site, but for them to work being so tall, you cannot have anything on the rear door like I do, as then the door would not close.
With the shorter cargobox, but still taller than my old one, the stuff on the rear door will not interfere with the door hitting the new box.

The new box is 38 3/8" wide by 27" deep, and 8" tall.
It also sits back further giving me longer drawers than the old box.
The old box is 37" wide by 21" deep (only 16" deep on the left side) by 7" tall as seen in the rear of the old 4Runner.
Being made out of thicker wood, a lot of wasted space compared to the new Goose Gear unit.

I also bought the Trekpak at 4" high to create specific sized storage areas within the drawers, and also some heavy duty toolbox drawer liner to put down first to protect the bottom of the drawers, and also to keep gear from sliding around.

At a future date I may add in a Tembo Tusk fridge 28" slide for the right side so I can put the Trail Kitchens chuckbox on it.
This way I can cook on it and use it if I do not want to setup the chuckbox on a camping/picnic table.

Very happy with the way the box turned out, and it sure is nice having a little more room for gear in it.
I will be ordering the FJ Cruiser plate soon to keep the box secure, and also from tipping back when you have both drawers out.
You can see how it tips back in the video below the pictures.
What's that little dead blow hammer you've got in there? It looks lightweight. How durable?

· トヨタ Master
27,289 Posts
Re: ATC Tool Pouch & Mesh Organizer Inserts 12-16-2017

Two of the four mesh bags loaded up, hmmmm, what to do with the extra two
I keep a lot of small stuff that you wouldn't think you'd ever need just in case. Some of these are electrical tape, hose clamps, 2 or 3 sizes of cable ties, common bolts and nuts found on a Toyota, a small analog multimeter(such as these commonly found at Walmart or Home Depot:Analog Meter), Super Glue or Gorilla Glue, tubes of heat shrink, small picks or pry tools(dental explorers work well), extendable magnet, extendable mirror, para cord, small utility tool like a Leatherman, etc., the list goes on. Just some ideas.

· トヨタ Master
27,289 Posts
Hey Corey, just bought FJ14 with 40k miles and found your thread, it's very inspiring .. thank you for sharing
I did a compilation of most of your mods with links I found, I will post it later

Anyway, I'm from same area as you, any suggestion for some light terrain to test unmodified FJ here?
Welcome to the forum! You might introduce yourself over here: https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/introductions-new-arrivals/ so we can all get to know you and vice versa! :bigthumb:

Oh, and Corey, how are the mods doing?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.