Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The beach run down the Padre Island National Seashore has been rescheduled to Saturday, June 21, 2008.

See Padre Island National Seashore (U.S. National Park Service) for info on the park.

Basically, it is a 60 mile section of unimproved beach starting on the south end of Corpus Christi. At the southern in of the island you hit the Port Mansfield jetties between Padre Island and South Padre Island. There is a small ship channel between the islands and no access is available to the mainland on the south end of PINS. This time of year it is possible to witness sea turtles nesting on the beach. Yarborough Pass is the only place you are allowed to drive across the island and is occasionally a good place to get stuck. Camping nearly anywhere is allowed if you get a permit.

The run from the entrance to the jetties and back takes anywhere from 3 hours to 12 hours, depending on the driving conditions. I would expect it to take about 4 to 6 hours for the round trip this time of the year. The last time I was there, driving was pretty good and the trip could be made in 3 hours easy. Occasionally the tides are too high to drive down the beach, but usually that is only when a storm is present in the gulf.

If the tide is too high to get down the beach, we have another place to play about 20 miles up the coast:
YouTube - FJ Cruiser Climb

Ok, I did my best to sell the idea... so who's in?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In case anyone is crazy about endangered turtles, here are the facts:

Friday, June 6, 2008
So far this year, 159 Kemp's ridley nests have been confirmed on the Texas coast including (north to south in state): Bolivar Peninsula 4 Galveston Island 5 Brazoria County, just north of Surfside 1 Surfside Beach 2 Bryan Beach 0 Matagorda Peninsula 0 Matagorda Island 10 San JoseIsland 3 Mustang Island 5 North Padre Island 87, including 77 at PadreIsland National Seashore South Padre Island 34 Boca Chica Beach 8

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it might just be you and me again. We gotta get more members down here.
You know that little compartment on your dash in front of you steering wheel? I have forum fliers in there so I can put them on windshields when I see potential members. I haven't tagged anyone yet, but I'm going to start immediately.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where do you meet, when do you start?

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do you meet, when do you start?
NEW MEMBER IN THE AREA!!! Eggerton, welcome to the forum.

We haven't hashed out the details yet. We can do that here in this thread. I will be in Dallas for work Tuesday through Thursday, but I will go along with whatever is decided for the time to meet. I come down the Island to get there, so I can meet at the gas station on Whitecap (I'm topping off there anyway) or in the park somewhere.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
The gas station works for me. I'm coming from the calallen area. Who has what as far as recovery gear? I have 2-20' straps and shackles, high lift and sand ladders. Would 10am work for everyone? Not too late and not to early. Also is anyone else running a CB?

·
Registered
137 Posts
10am sounds good to me.
I am hoping I can make it Saturday.
I am stock 4X4..would that be a problem on this run?
A friend of mine told me that when in it a drought year that the sand can get powdery and become real easy to get stuck. Is that true?
I dont have any recovery gear..maybe I should pick up a some straps.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have a 30' strap and shackles, along with a 4 ton air jack. I wouldn't go out and buy recovery gear for this trip... use the cash on gas to get down here.

I like 10:00AM.

You should have no problem at all with a stock 4x4. I don't even air down when I go.

If anyone has a shovel, you might want to bring it. We won't laugh if it's a regular garden shovel either. I really would not expect anyone to get stuck unless they get in the water or dunes.

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I'll bring my shovel too. I also have tire tools, regular tools, and an onboard air compressor if we get in a bind. A stock vehical shouldn't have any problems as long as its a 4x4. If it does you won't be stuck long between the 3 of us.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Data Retrieval

Looks like we will see a high somewhere between noon and 2:00pm, which isn't the best scenario. I live a little over a mile from the water in Aransas Pass, which is about 5-10 minutes behind PINS for tides. I can make a quick run early in the morning before brav012 leaves SA to make sure the tide isn't too high for the trip. I can always call everyone to cancel if tides are way up.

SilverFJCinSA, let me know when you are available and we can start planning the next run.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I will be bringing a hand-held CB..recovery straps..air compressor..a shovel..and some SUN BLOCK. Now I just have to get down there on Saturday.
I will keep my fingers crossed.

"I like turtles!"

·
Registered
17 Posts
NEW MEMBER IN THE AREA!!! Eggerton, welcome to the forum.

We haven't hashed out the details yet. We can do that here in this thread. I will be in Dallas for work Tuesday through Thursday, but I will go along with whatever is decided for the time to meet. I come down the Island to get there, so I can meet at the gas station on Whitecap (I'm topping off there anyway) or in the park somewhere.

Thanks for the kind welcome, glad to be here.

10 AM at the gas station is okay for me. I'm new at this so I don't have recovery gear or a CB. I can round up a shovel and maybe some straps and shackles.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts