Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting my windows tinted. How much have folks paid to get their windows professionally tinted? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Depends on the tint quality and what your having done. I had skin cancer three years ago and have two red head boys so I buy the best. You need to specify more details windows, quality etc. Welcome to the greatest FJ site on the NET!!!

·
Registered
205 Posts
I just spent 262 on getting 35% over the back windows that come tinted already and 20% on the front sides, and 35% on the windshield. It is polarized, 2mm thick, and lifetime warranty. It came out perfect! It is like stepping in to a pair of sunglasses! No issues at night at all.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had the front two windows tinted for $150 last summer. I just asked to have them matched to the back (which have the OE privacy glass), pretty sure it's technically too dark to be legal. I got the edges filed, which is the 'upgrade' to this shop. He did a very good job and I would not hesitate to recommend him to my friends, no problems at all. The tint keeps the interior noticeably cooler in hot weather, but has the drawback of making you pretty much blind at night if you need to use the mirrors. Be warned, night wheeling becomes much more difficult if you can't leave the windows down.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Got mine tinted all around at 15% plus the windshield at 35% for $200

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had my drivers and passengers door tinted to match factory tint both for $60 by a professional tint service in Monroeville, PA. Quality 3M tint film with lifetime warranty and not a single bubble. The best part, he was able to do both windows in 15 minutes.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Check with local law's & law enforcement people first. Don't just check what is on the state books as far as what's legal, but also, I would talk to a few of the law enforcement officers that you see on a regular basis. Quick story(sorry): I drove a Black 2000 ZR2 Blazer around my area with all windows at 5% tint (dark), except the windshield. Never had an issue in 5 years, saw cops all the time. When I got the FJ the wife asked me not to go too dark because she wanted to drive it also & she could not see. I ended up with 25%($40 at a shop), tint on driver & passenger door windows (not dark at all), & 5%(I did myself $12), on little doors & rear windows. Looked nice, not too much, not too little. The fact that the rears had the factory tint in them + 5% made the front door windows look like almost nothing was on them. Well wouldn't you know it, the first week with tint I got pulled over & got a warning to remove or face $350 fine. Selective Law enforcement I called it at my hearing(not good to mock cops in court), anyway point of story: the cop had this device he slid over my door glass that read the light passage through the tint & he said, "just a little too dark for Pa." The fact of the matter is I researched it with a lawyer & it turns out the cop didn't even know the correct law. According to Pa. Law: NOTHING can be added to ANY window in any car at all. Your state my differ, but check the temperature of the cops you will be seeing every day. That's the best advice I can give. Sorry to drag it on. Good Luck! The FJ looks FAB. with tint.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I got 20% on my driver and passanger windows to match the back and it was $90 and out the door

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Very Good point I have a doctors note for tint. I have had skin cancer and have two red head boys plus my x-wife is a doctor so that part was easy.

Check with local law's & law enforcement people first. Don't just check what is on the state books as far as what's legal, but also, I would talk to a few of the law enforcement officers that you see on a regular basis. Quick story(sorry): I drove a Black 2000 ZR2 Blazer around my area with all windows at 5% tint (dark), except the windshield. Never had an issue in 5 years, saw cops all the time. When I got the FJ the wife asked me not to go too dark because she wanted to drive it also & she could not see. I ended up with 25%($40 at a shop), tint on driver & passenger door windows (not dark at all), & 5%(I did myself $12), on little doors & rear windows. Looked nice, not too much, not too little. The fact that the rears had the factory tint in them + 5% made the front door windows look like almost nothing was on them. Well wouldn't you know it, the first week with tint I got pulled over & got a warning to remove or face $350 fine. Selective Law enforcement I called it at my hearing(not good to mock cops in court), anyway point of story: the cop had this device he slid over my door glass that read the light passage through the tint & he said, "just a little too dark for Pa." The fact of the matter is I researched it with a lawyer & it turns out the cop didn't even know the correct law. According to Pa. Law: NOTHING can be added to ANY window in any car at all. Your state my differ, but check the temperature of the cops you will be seeing every day. That's the best advice I can give. Sorry to drag it on. Good Luck! The FJ looks FAB. with tint.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I had my drivers and passengers door tinted to match factory tint both for $60 by a professional tint service in Monroeville, PA. Quality 3M tint film with lifetime warranty and not a single bubble. The best part, he was able to do both windows in 15 minutes.
Forgot to mention that finding a place that will tell you what brand of tint they use is kinda important along with that warranty. That's what made me choose the place I went to. Bubbling happens pretty frequently with cheap material or a tinter that isn't experienced. If they won't tell you what kind of tint it is or don't know themselves, it's probably crap.

·
Registered
363 Posts
forgot to mention that finding a place that will tell you what brand of tint they use is kinda important along with that warranty. That's what made me choose the place i went to. Bubbling happens pretty frequently with cheap material or a tinter that isn't experienced. If they won't tell you what kind of tint it is or don't know themselves, it's probably crap.
Amen!

·
Registered
545 Posts
I paid $90-ish (including tax) for both my front windows - I wanted the tint to match the passenger windows, but the installer (Sun Tint, on Koenig Lane in Beautiful Austin, Texas) said that it would be illegal for the fronts to be that dark. I tried to bribe them into it, but they refused, so I figured that I'd better go with their recommendation. Fantastic work, though, and a must-mod for Central Texas summers....

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
I went 35% in "tint law" Virginia $90, best tint available.

50% is legal where I am, its just not enough, 35% is pretty good.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
WI is only allowed 50% on the front, it runs anywhere from $60 to $99 here.

You can tell those that did it themselves with no talent. So many bubbles it looks like they are driving an aquarium.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Here are pictures of it. Again 35% on the windshield and back windows, and 20% front sides. I have a prescription because of migraines.
Did you get the entire windshield tinted? That's what it looks like. I thought you could only get the top 5 inches or so. Can you see out of it ok?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Did you get the entire windshield tinted? That's what it looks like. I thought you could only get the top 5 inches or so. Can you see out of it ok?
The entire windshield is 35%. I have a prescription because of my migraines. I have no trouble seeing out my windows at all, even at night. I was a little skeptical when I first got them done and saw how dark they were but I am really happy with the outcome. Its like stepping into a nice pair of polarized sunglasses. I haven't been bothered by police either but keep my prescription and tint paper in the vehicle at all times.

·
Premium Member
1,787 Posts
Front driver and passenger to match back window tint: $70. 20% if I remember correctly. 15% is legal here. Again, IIRC.

It's an essential mod for me. I've always had my windows tinted and I feel a little exposed when I get into a car without tint :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts