Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I have been joking around about selling her car and buying a second FJ. So every once in a while I check the local dealers to see what they are selling. I found one locally 2008 Sandstorm, 14k miles automatic and a few extras. (I've only seen it on-line so I still have to go check it out in person.)

Well it seemed almost what we wanted until I saw the price, they want $29k for this FJ. I know they will probably drop down some, but I thought that was really high since I only paid $26k for mine brand new. I figured that some of the add ons don't really hold value, and the base price of the 08 FJ was around $25k, so I figured they would be $25k or less by now.

So I started check Kelly Blue book, I put in all the specs for my FJ (if it was still stock) and the trade in value is MORE than what I paid for mine. Almost $4K more if you want to sell it to a private buyer!

I know Toyota's hold their value, but the pricing seem wrong to me. It is almost cheaper to buy a new FJ than a use one. I can get a 2010 from the same dealer for $31k with a full warranty. OK, so maybe the used one has a few more features, but still only a $2 difference in the price?

So if you have time, plug your FJ specs into KBB.com and see if your features / mileage / area code are holding up well. And let me know the best place to buy a White FJ for the wife.

-Chuck

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Bought my 08 Sandstorm with 24K on the ODO at the end of August 2010 for $28 at the dealer. KBB says it's worth just south of $27,000 for private party now. (It's up to 33,000 on the ODO now)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I saw the same thing. They hold their value better than just about anything I've ever seen. Great for us owners, but...
Buy new! It's just not worth it to buy these guys used. I bought a second one last year, 2010 Army Green. Gave my 2007 Voodoo to my Son. He LOVES it, I love the new AG. Win-win!

·
Premium Member
3,360 Posts
JD Powers just listed FJ's for a highest resale value award...

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
You guys make me feel good about getting my loaded 07 for $19k a year ago with 30k miles on it... I don't think it ever saw the rain until I got it. Sometimes you've got to hope to find someone selling an FJ without researching the pricing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bought my 07 voodoo blue with 45k for 24k and Kbb values it at 26and change with 51k on the clock. Fjs do hold value. But if you want the real price of your rig to dealers or insurance companies look it up on nada or galves cause those two price them lower. But when you want to buy they'll throw a big Kbb price on the window saying that its a deal. They also retain their value due to limited production of the vehicle compared to a Honda civic and the question of if they are going to discontinue after this year will also determine the resale value.

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
Do it Chuck. We love being a two FJ family! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
i bought my fj for 23,000 and totaled it insurance wrote me 28,500 for it it was new when bought and had 40k miles on it when wrecked 2008
You better take that money and run! What a deal!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've always thought Kelly Blue Book was overpriced (then again, I priced my minivan under KBB and had people bidding to buy it so maybe not). But I like being able to say that the KBB private party price for my 07 FJ is more than $4k more than I paid for it!

Even Edmunds.com, which is usually lower and fairly accurate (except TOO low in the cas of my van), says my FJ's private party is $1,400 more than I paid for it.

That is awesome!

EDIT: DANGUM I paid $7k under KBB suggested retail! Of course, I passed up a lot of FJs with higher miles and higher prices, drove 2.5 hours to get one with 30k miles for a final price of $19,600.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my 07 FJ exactly 2 years ago with 28K for $20,000. It is a standard, so the dealer felt they had to lower it. Four months ago I went to Car Max in Utah and they were only willing to give me $16K for it, even though they had the EXACT same model on the lot for $25K. Pissed me off to say the least. This run up in value must be recent. Anyway, I'm happy I'm keeping it!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
i bought my fj for 23,000 and totaled it insurance wrote me 28,500 for it it was new when bought and had 40k miles on it when wrecked 2008
Damn...maybe I need to go total mine LOLOL! (OK, just kidding). I only paid $22K brand new at the end of '08...of course those were different times a couple of years ago.

·
Registered
317 Posts
bought my 2008 fully loaded a year ago for $25,000 with 6,000 miles on it. came with original window sticker at $32,000. original owner added auto start, all the seats protected, undercoated bla bla too. so i basically saved close to $8,000 buying used vs new.

nada priced it at $24,500 with 23,000 miles on it now. i put on 17,000 miles and it dropped only $500 in value ;)

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I Paid 32K total for a new 2010 Fj with:
Rack
Tow package
Floor mats
Arm rests
Life-time body rust thru undercoating
Sun/moon roof w/lifetime warranty
Locking rear Diff
Back-up sensor
Auto-dark rear-view mirror

·
Registered
54 Posts
If they do discontinue the fj the price after time should go up slowly, if you keep it in good shape. Supply and demand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts