Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered new snow's from Costco and TPMS from amazon, both arrived and I went to Costco to have the tires installed with my TPMS only to have the Costco tire guy REFUSE to use my TPMS. He was fine with be buying $280 worth of their modules or using Toyota, but not China stuff. Apparently they have had on going complaints of crappy TPMS's blowing-out and being blamed. Anyone else?? before you ask...Costco-Orillia-Canada.
-Louis

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
Liability - Costco will not install anything not purchased from them.

They also wull not install a tire size other than OEM.....same reason.

·
A-Team Moderator
9,486 Posts
I found that out too. They would not upsize from 265 to 285.

Why buy Chinesium sensors for something that is critically important? I had 3 shops LIE and tell me I needed all new sensors, refused to show me the screen, and all it needed was air in 1 tire to reset that 1 sensor. Aired it up high, then back down to desired PSI and it cleared.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Don't go to Costco. Their policies are stupid (n)(n) There are plenty of other tire shops out there 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Don't go to Costco. Their policies are stupid (n)(n) There are plenty of other tire shops out there 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
What specific stupid policies are you referring to?

The majority of corporate policies are in place to protect the corporation from absurd lawsuits created by Darwin-awardees, unscrupulous, self-serving lawyers and ignorant, vindictive juries. In general, Costco seems to have very reasonable policies intended to promote long-term customer satisfaction.

Refusing to install cheap imported TPMS sensors that have a reputation within the tire service industry for premature failure (resulting in customer dissatisfaction) seems to me to be an entirely reasonable policy.

·
Registered
603 Posts
What specific stupid policies are you referring to?

The majority of corporate policies are in place to protect the corporation from absurd lawsuits created by Darwin-awardees, unscrupulous, self-serving lawyers and ignorant, vindictive juries. In general, Costco seems to have very reasonable policies intended to promote long-term customer satisfaction.

Refusing to install cheap imported TPMS sensors that have a reputation within the tire service industry for premature failure (resulting in customer dissatisfaction) seems to me to be an entirely reasonable policy.
1- they will only install OEM tire size
2- they want to tell the customer which sensors they must use
3- they will not work on a vehicle with spacers
4- ... continue ad nauseam

Costco sux 🤨👎🏼

·
Registered
218 Posts
1- they will only install OEM tire size
2- they want to tell the customer which sensors they must use
3- they will not work on a vehicle with spacers
4- ... continue ad nauseam

Costco sux
I see, so they wont install incorrectly sized tires on your vehicle and cheap aftermarket electronics, only to have to deal with you when you come back complaining about issues? Seems legit

Feel free to continue...

Your answer is to go somewhere like “Paulie’s Super Tire Warehouse” I’m sure they’ll install whatever you pay them to do, bald tires, patched tires, tires that rub, etc....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
89 Posts
Yep. Costco would not sell me bigger tires either. Left and purchased tires from America's Tire with additional hazard warranty. Includes free rotation and balance every 6K. Haven't used hazard warranty but a friend slit a tire backing his trailer into his driveway on a cinder wall. Tire was replaced no questions asked. Same friend sliced side wall off-roading and that tire was replaced..again no questions asked. I don't think Costco will do that.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't think there is a better place for an off-roader to buy tires than America Tire. With an original purchase of 5 Goodyear Dura Tracs they replaced 5 with just the small fee. I actually gave up on the tires and went a different brand, bought from America Tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
603 Posts
Yep. Costco would not sell me bigger tires either. Left and purchased tires from America's Tire with additional hazard warranty. Includes free rotation and balance every 6K. Haven't used hazard warranty but a friend slit a tire backing his trailer into his driveway on a cinder wall. Tire was replaced no questions asked. Same friend sliced side wall off-roading and that tire was replaced..again no questions asked. I don't think Costco will do that.
I don't think there is a better place for an off-roader to buy tires than America Tire. With an original purchase of 5 Goodyear Dura Tracs they replaced 5 with just the small fee. I actually gave up on the tires and went a different brand, bought from America Tire.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Similar experience with America’s Tire in California and Discount Tire as they’re known in the NorthWest.

Years ago (pre-FJ) when I swapped wheels and they were rubbing on the calipers, Discount tire easily diagnosed the problem and suggested 17mm spacers to solve it. When the tires wore out, I came back and bought a new set.

Awesome tire shop 👍🏼 👍🏼

·
Registered
218 Posts
Costco isn’t the place for aftermarket anything related to tires. That’s not their market. Go somewhere that does.

My Dentist doesn’t suck cause she won’t do my custom grillz work, but she will give me a gold tooth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I didn't say the sensors were cheap, THEY did, just by looking at them (imtpms.com) They looked legit to me, but Costco would have none of it. I'm thinking this is a tire-jockey decision. I really have no need for them and considering just deleting the system. -cheers

·
A-Team Moderator
9,486 Posts
01/11 build date, 9 yrs so far, fingers crossed. I was quoted $60 each and $20 to program all 5.

Well Louis, you did use the words crappy and Chinese, so... :ROFLMAO: ;)

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I believe the Federal law that mandated TPMS in passenger vehicles required a minimum service life of 5 years. "Typical" life is around 7 years, but some last as long as 12 years. Life is greatly dependent on driving conditions, and how frequently the TPMS needs to transmit pressure data.

·
Registered
6 Posts
10 years is magic number, be ready to spend about 75 per wheel at a reputable shop - if that exists.
Don't forget, FJ spare got one too,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts