Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So one of the dealers I've been constantly bugging actually sent me something yesterday. It's a simple form for pre-order interest with all the same info that's already been posted here as far as colors and options, just in a little simpler to read format. There are however 2 slight differences that got me wondering...

First, the Diff Lock box is checked under the 4x4 V6 manual trans column and it is noted as being standard equipment. This is cool, if true, as this was really the only option I had to have with my stick.

Second, the CQ group (convenience package) wording now includes "Power Aluminum Outside Mirrors with Lamps." If these are optional, then what will come standard? Non-power mirrors? Plastic mirrors? Power mirrors without lights? No mirrors? (just kidding)

Jason

·
Registered
378 Posts
True story.

12/10/05
Called Tansky Toyota in Ohio and asked if any pre-order forms have come out for the Fj.
His exact words..."Sir, I don't think that vehicle is expected to come out til 2007...
I was so shocked at what he said, all I could do was laugh!!
At least your dealers on the west coast are on the ball.
I with you on the diff locks. thats all i really wanted.
I was thinking about replacing the mirrors anyway cuz of that huge c-pillar anyway, but keep us updated on any info you get !!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
n6opv said:
So one of the dealers I've been constantly bugging actually sent me something yesterday. It's a simple form for pre-order interest with all the same info that's already been posted here as far as colors and options, just in a little simpler to read format. There are however 2 slight differences that got me wondering...

First, the Diff Lock box is checked under the 4x4 V6 manual trans column and it is noted as being standard equipment. This is cool, if true, as this was really the only option I had to have with my stick.

Second, the CQ group (convenience package) wording now includes "Power Aluminum Outside Mirrors with Lamps." If these are optional, then what will come standard? Non-power mirrors? Plastic mirrors? Power mirrors without lights? No mirrors? (just kidding)

Jason

I can confirm that the Diff Lock is standard on all of the Manual Transmissions, its optional on the Auto.
The standard mirror doesn't have the lamps on them... not sure if they are powered or not.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Trainwreck said:
Are they metal or are they plastic?
Thats a Good Question,
I've physically touched both mirror options. I can't confirm if they were actually aluminum or maybe just painted plastic to look like aluminum.

I can tell you that IMO the optional lamp on the backside of the mirror is a cool gadget and it could start a trend in the SUV aftermarket. I'm considering sizing them to see if a small PIAA lamp will fit in the socket....could be a cool alternative to an AUX/fog lamp. It's the reason I went with the CQ option as well.

Don't know if that helps......

·
Registered
32 Posts
cheazhd said:
I can confirm that the Diff Lock is standard on all of the Manual Transmissions, its optional on the Auto.
The standard mirror doesn't have the lamps on them... not sure if they are powered or not.
Which diff lock (center or rear)? I have heard that the manual is full time 4wd and has a center diff lock and an optional rear diff lock. Is that correct?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Dirk said:
Which diff lock (center or rear)? I have heard that the manual is full time 4wd and has a center diff lock and an optional rear diff lock. Is that correct?
The manual is full-time 4WD. It's center differential locks when you put it in High Locked or Low Locked; this is a function of the transfer case. The only optional item is the rear diff lock. And it looks like this may be standard now.

This makes me curious about something. I wonder if both transmission options will be the same price. Automatics usually cost more but having the manual come with the diff lock may even this out. I wonder if Toyota is trying to keep this simple and knows the guys who have to have a stick would order the diff lock anyway (since it's not buried in a package like A-Trac).

Jason

·
Registered
32 Posts
n6opv said:
The manual is full-time 4WD. It's center differential locks when you put it in High Locked or Low Locked; this is a function of the transfer case. The only optional item is the rear diff lock. And it looks like this may be standard now.

This makes me curious about something. I wonder if both transmission options will be the same price. Automatics usually cost more but having the manual come with the diff locks may even this out. I wonder if Toyota is trying to keep this simple and knows the guys who have to have a stick would order the diff lock anyway (since it's not buried in a package like A-Trac).

Jason

Thanks for the reply.

Believe it or not, I know how a cdl works. It is an "extra" diff that works with the t-case to direct power to the front or rear diff depending on the speed of the drive shafts (when its open). When its locked, each drive shaft gets equal power. I am simply wondering why is it only being offered in a manual. Will the manual have a different t-case than the auto? Will it have a 4.0:1 ratio in 4lo? I hope so. You seem to have some "inside" info. Perhaps you could find the answer to these questions.

·
Registered
294 Posts
n6opv said:

This makes me curious about something. I wonder if both transmission options will be the same price. Automatics usually cost more but having the manual come with the diff locks may even this out. I wonder if Toyota is trying to keep this simple and knows the guys who have to have a stick would order the diff lock anyway (since it's not buried in a package like A-Trac).

Jason

I was talking with the editior of Four Wheeler at Ojai. He told me that Toyota is trying to keep them similar in price. So you are correct.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dirk said:
Believe it or not, I know how a cdl works. It is an "extra" diff that works with the t-case to direct power to the front or rear diff depending on the speed of the drive shafts (when its open). When its locked, each drive shaft gets equal power. I am simply wondering why is it only being offered in a manual. Will the manual have a different t-case than the auto? Will it have a 4.0:1 ratio in 4lo? I hope so. You seem to have some "inside" info. Perhaps you could find the answer to these questions.
I figured you did since we're both FZJ80 owners, but I elaborated for other viewers :) I asked at Ojai why only in the manual but didn't really get an answer. Personally, I think it's cool but I'm a big fan of full-time 4WD and AWD systems, owning the 80 and a Subaru respectively. The transfer cases are different with different 4lo ratios. I don't remember the exact numbers but I believe the manual is slightly better than 4:1 and the auto is a bit less (3.85 sticks in my mind for some reason). With the torque converter in the auto though, you will effectively have 4:1 or greater. I should've written all this stuff down...

Jason

1 - 10 of 10 Posts