Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have an ‘07 FJ 2WD with 206k miles and I was wondering whether it would be worth it to get a short term fix in a head gasket replacement or a longer-term engine rebuild. I’ve been quoted at $9,600 for the rebuild but I’m not sure how much it would be for a head gasket replacement yet. I want to sell it and was wondering if any of you had advice for selling it either with the issue or without it. It runs and drives, but its not very good to be taking it around right now. Thank you

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,554 Posts
Welcome! I wonder if it would be easiest to sell as is and just reduce the price? FJs are going for really high prices right now, so even one with issues could be highly desirable to a skilled-but-cashstrapped person willing to do the work. I’m sure others will come along soon and add their helpful opinions. Till then, good luck!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
I read your post 4 times, and it's still not clear what your problem is: a cracked cylinder head, or a blown head gasket???

Please provide more information about the "symptoms" you are seeing, and how the cracked cylinder head, or blown head gasket, were determined to be the cause of the problem(s).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I read your post 4 times, and it's still not clear what your problem is: a cracked cylinder head, or a blown head gasket???

Please provide more information about the "symptoms" you are seeing, and how the cracked cylinder head, or blown head gasket, were determined to be the cause of the problem(s).
Sorry about the vagueness, the issue presented to me by the mechanics shop is that I have a cracked head. I’m not sure what else, but they said the only option they’d entertain is rebuilding the engine. I’m 17 and I’ve been tasked with getting rid of this for some cash for a new car, and I apologize if it isn’t up to the standard.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! I wonder if it would be easiest to sell as is and just reduce the price? FJs are going for really high prices right now, so even one with issues could be highly desirable to a skilled-but-cashstrapped person willing to do the work. I’m sure others will come along soon and add their helpful opinions. Till then, good luck!
Thank you! I’m in SoCal, and looking at around 3-5 grand for it. Not sure how well it would sell, but considering I got quoted near 10,000 to fix it and taking that off of what they’re going for here I’m looking at around that much.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,554 Posts
Sorry about the vagueness, the issue presented to me by the mechanics shop is that I have a cracked head. I’m not sure what else, but they said the only option they’d entertain is rebuilding the engine. I’m 17 and I’ve been tasked with getting rid of this for some cash for a new car, and I apologize if it isn’t up to the standard.
You’re fine - no need to apologize! Anyhow, sounds like the better plan to sell it as is. Hopefully the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape so worth rebuilding.

·
Owner: G3 Offroad
2,185 Posts
Another option would be to source a used engine . $3000 is around average for a good 4.0 Just guessing but about $2000 in labor to Replace . Much lower than the 10,000 and you would still have a Good Car . A decent FJ should sell for anywhere between 10-15 k . A dead FJ will be around $5000

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thank you! I’m in SoCal, and looking at around 3-5 grand for it. Not sure how well it would sell, but considering I got quoted near 10,000 to fix it and taking that off of what they’re going for here I’m looking at around that much.
Hi Logan,

There are a few ways you can do this.
  • post it on bringatrailer.com as a project and have a reserve on how much you want it to sell for. A think they charge 100$ and they will help you to have a great presentation that is honest and that might get you the most money
  • you could post it on here in the want to sell thread, but I would edit your post where you say your range.
-you could take it to the dealer that you want to buy the new car from and after you negotiate the price you want for the new car, tell them “ oh ya I want you to take this FJ for xxx$ and if they don’t agree walk away. They will run after you to try and give a good price for the FJ. But with this route you have to be strong and do your homework and research about both the new car and this one when you negotiate.

If you post pictures some of the experienced people here might give you some guesstimates

Good luck
G

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
For the experts. Is it feasible to replace just the head? My son had a Nissan V6 and I bought a head (complete) for it from a wrecking yard. Just bolted it on as is. Don't know the labor cost, a friend with a shop did it for me. Worked out well and was still running when it was sold years later.

Reactions: Datajockeys

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The problem here is that no one really knows what is wrong with this engine. We don't have a detailed description of the symptoms that sent the vehicle into the shop, so it's almost impossible to offer any useful analysis of what might be wrong.

It's far, far more likely that the problem is a blown head gasket and not a cracked head. Replacing a blown head gasket is substantially less expensive than rebuilding the entire engine IF the rest of the engine is in decent shape (for 200K+ miles).

The "mechanic's shop" that is advising that a complete engine rebuild is necessary does not know that the head is cracked unless an external crack is visible, which is VERY unlikely. No one will be able to properly assess what condition the engine is in and what needs to be done until the head is pulled and inspected, the cylinder bores are inspected for scoring, oil pan dropped and crank and rod bearings and journals checked for scoring, excessive wear, etc.

The fact that this is a 2WD model complicates the equation because of the substantially lower retail value compared to a 4WD model.

Logan, you said that you were looking to sell the FJ to get money to buy another vehicle. Is this because you have no interest in the FJ, even if it could be repaired at a reasonable cost?

The way I see it, you have two primary options:
1. Sell the vehicle as-is to someone who will assume the risk and effort of repairing or replacing the engine. Do not put another cent into it for repairs or further diagnostics. This is the fastest and simplest way to quickly unload it and get some money out of it.

2. Pay to have the head pulled, and determine if replacing the head gasket will restore the vehicle to running condition. This is only viable if the rest of the vehicle is in decent condition, especially the transmission. If the vehicle has been neglected as to regular oil changes, driven with a leaking head gasket, or allowed to overheat, there very well may be other engine problems (sludge, elongated timing chain, etc.) that make it uneconomical to try to salvage this engine. Depending on the findings, you could:
a) have it repaired and use it as your daily driver;
b) repair it and sell it,
c) sell it as-is.

Has this vehicle been in your family for some time, and the service history is known, or is the service history totally unknown?

(Where in So Cal are you located?)

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You’re fine, it was the first reply to you that should be apologized for! Anyhow, sounds like the better plan to sell it as is. Hopefully the rest of the vehicle is in decent shape so worth rebuilding.
Deb - I'm confused, your reply was the first one ... what is there in your post that should be apologized for?

If you meant my first post, on re-reading it maybe it was just a little brusque, all I meant to say is that the initial information provided was incomplete and conflicting, and more information would be needed to help understand the situation.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
@FJtest She meant a post that I deleted. I've spoken w/ that party, and the OP, and it will not be tolerated. We do not scold newbs asking for help.

Thank you!
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I didn't see the "first" post, and I couldn't see anything in Deb's post or my first post that would warrant an apology.

·
Premium Member
4,214 Posts
@FJtest She meant a post that I deleted. I've spoken w/ that party, and the OP, and it will not be tolerated. We do not scold newbs asking for help.

Thank you!
(y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

Reactions: debFJVT

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,554 Posts
@FJtest that’s why I did not reference it in my post - I knew it would soon be deleted. But did not foresee the subsequent posts...glad you asked for clarifiction vs jumped to a conclusion! This forum rocks 👍

·
Premium Member
2,976 Posts
Yea, the original response was from me. I get brief sometimes being an engineer. It leaves a lot of room for non-engineering folks to project attitude between the lines when there was no intent.

My apologies for the grief that I caused.

FJtest is a better example of the proper way to ask for clarification and explain stuff.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Yeah I have to wonder if a rebuild is even necessary. More info is needed. Unless the engine was abused the head gasket or cracked head could be replaced and you might be good to go.

But having said that, the root cause for the cracked head or head gasket was probably overheating, so THAT must be addressed too.

Reactions: MR_XG78
1 - 18 of 18 Posts