Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
On your way up to Moab from the Grand Canyon I recommend hitting Bryce Canyon National Park. I have visited most of the parks around that area of the US and really enjoyed Bryce the most. Although due to fires and such large parts of Zion were shut down and we were rushed that day. However, the reason that Bryce was so amazing was that we hiked down into the canyon. It was a couple hour hike but definitely worth it.

As far as Yellowstone, it is a large park but I have found that the best stuff is all in the top loop of the figure eight (look at a map of the park and the roads are shaped in a figure 8). Much of the lower loop is trees that are very thick and Yellowstone Lake. While it is pretty there is just more to see on the top loop. I am sure no matter how much time you plan you will end up being rushed as there is just so much awesome stuff in that part of the country.

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! You may want to plan a day for the Grand Tetons along with your Yellowstone portion of the trip.

ImageUploadedByAG Free1369334853.802181.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
On your way up to Moab from the Grand Canyon I recommend hitting Bryce Canyon National Park. I have visited most of the parks around that area of the US and really enjoyed Bryce the most. Although due to fires and such large parts of Zion were shut down and we were rushed that day. However, the reason that Bryce was so amazing was that we hiked down into the canyon. It was a couple hour hike but definitely worth it.

As far as Yellowstone, it is a large park but I have found that the best stuff is all in the top loop of the figure eight (look at a map of the park and the roads are shaped in a figure 8). Much of the lower loop is trees that are very thick and Yellowstone Lake. While it is pretty there is just more to see on the top loop. I am sure no matter how much time you plan you will end up being rushed as there is just so much awesome stuff in that part of the country.
Sounds like a great trip! You may want to plan a day for the Grand Tetons along with your Yellowstone portion of the trip.

View attachment 75349
Thanks! This inevitably becomes the monster on "wing-it" trips- how much time to spend at each place so your not cut short on the others. I was planning a jog to the Tetons but never knew about Bryce. Cool.

Things to see. The beauty with this is I'm used to limited sleep from work (4-5 hours a day) and can drive till the cows come home (personal best- 1800+ miles in 2 days) and my wife can sleep on a rock, in the middle of an earthquake... :lol:

Only concern is night driving and critters who see the "light" :lol:

Great Places!:rocker:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I'd recommend wheeling just south of Las Cruces since you'll be out that way. Lot of fun desert trails and rock climbing from when we went out there a few years back.
Cool. That was on the way. I worked out of Carlsbad doing audits and wondered about wheeling there. I know Marcus is out there and maybe we could wheel when rolling through

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
This may be a good reason to be married to an IT gal- she can blog and I can wheel :lol:

Im possibly considering renting a 600-800mm lens part of the journey (mainly for Yellowstone) to take some shots of critters and what not. I've priced them out (rentals) which wasn't terribly bad and would allow me to see if this was a direction I wanted to pursue in purchasing one.

Photos will be a big part of this- trying to decide if a separate PhotoBucket album would be better since we can caption each photo, keep them in order and most importantly- not make downloading this thread a bear. Just a simple link (with maybe a few teaser shots)
OC, give the folks at Lens Depot in Florida a call. I use them exclusively. I'd rent a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L. That is one sexy lens!

Have fun!!

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
This will be epic, in funny way. :lol:

Wait for Curtis to look the other way and "borrow" his trailer. He won't even notice it is gone until you are far far away. ;)
:lol: OC, we can talk about you and the Mrs's taking it! By the way Mrs. OC, one thing in life you don't need is make up! :D

A couple of suggestions on your way north: the Gilla Cliff Dwellings National Monument in NM, going up 191 in AZ a couple of neat towns Pinetop-Lakeside and Show Low, after leaving there the Petrified Forest National Park and then across from that is the Painted Desert and then Monument Valley.

Last Summer I spent 4 days in Grand Tetons and 4 days in Yellowstone, Yellowstone fills up fast need reservations now if its NOT to late. The town of West Yellowstone is expensive $9 McDonalds burgers! I also spent 4 days in Glaicer NP and that was my favorite park of the 3. I found NO wheeling at Yellowstone, there are some places outside of Grand Tetons to wheel and Jackson Hole is a cool town with friendly folks there!

·
Registered
81 Posts
There are so many places to go out there, it's amazing. My wife and I have done 4 trips out west, all the way from here in Maryland.

So many great places, and so many of them aren't even well known. One thing we've done that you should is go get yourself some guide books. We started with a bunch of books from the library, and you can actually find a lot by looking for the green spots on Google maps.

By the way, if you don't have one, get a parks pass. If you're over 65, you can get a lifetime pass for only $10 if I recall. If you're not, then get a yearly pass. Just going in and out of Yellowstone a few times pays for the pass.

A couple of places we were this April that was nice. In Moab, Arches National Park is pretty and mostly pavement for a break. But at the very end of the paved road, there is a dirt road that goes off to Tower Arch. It's fun, but not super hard wheeling with a nice view at the arch, and gets away from the crowds in arches.

Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef are neat parks that don't get a lot of press. And Canyonlands is a ton of fun. If you want a little camping and some light off-roading along the way, White Rim Trail is fun and really scenic.

If you aren't into hiking, Bryce is also worth going to, the views from the top are all paved walkways. And if you like stars, the top is 9,000ft and it's a dark sky park. We try to time our trips for new moons, but keep getting clouds.

When we did Yellowstone, we stayed in the Cook City / Silvergate area, just out of the north-east entrance to the park, up the Lamar Valley, which is where the wolves are. No $9 burgers, but not cheap either. Of course, it's not the luxury side of the park either. If you want to critter spot, that is a great place for it. We saw several wolves including some pups "playing" with an adult buffalo, who was not amused to have the young wolves there. They weren't any threat to the buffalo, but it was worth it. We where there in September, after labor day.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
This sounds like a wonderful vacation and I hope to be able to meet you and Mrs. OC and do a little wheeling. :)

I could add a ton of ideas on places to see, but I want to make sure you have some time to wheel. :lol:

·
Premium Member
16,788 Posts
Sounds like a great adventure! If you come by Las Cruces, go north to T or C and I can hook you up on a river canyon trip that you would enjoy. :wave:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
OC, give the folks at Lens Depot in Florida a call. I use them exclusively. I'd rent a 100-400 f4.5-5.6L. That is one sexy lens!

Have fun!!
They were tops on my list! I'll check em out again:bigthumb:

:lol: OC, we can talk about you and the Mrs's taking it! By the way Mrs. OC, one thing in life you don't need is make up! :D

A couple of suggestions on your way north: the Gilla Cliff Dwellings National Monument in NM, going up 191 in AZ a couple of neat towns Pinetop-Lakeside and Show Low, after leaving there the Petrified Forest National Park and then across from that is the Painted Desert and then Monument Valley.

Last Summer I spent 4 days in Grand Tetons and 4 days in Yellowstone, Yellowstone fills up fast need reservations now if its NOT to late. The town of West Yellowstone is expensive $9 McDonalds burgers! I also spent 4 days in Glaicer NP and that was my favorite park of the 3. I found NO wheeling at Yellowstone, there are some places outside of Grand Tetons to wheel and Jackson Hole is a cool town with friendly folks there!
You sir are the man! I will contact you via PM- Your offer is more than gracious!! This will make Mrs OC very happy! A/C and camping! Wow!

Trip just improved 10 fold if Curtis hooks you up with the trailer
x eleventy billion million!

There are so many places to go out there, it's amazing. My wife and I have done 4 trips out west, all the way from here in Maryland.

So many great places, and so many of them aren't even well known. One thing we've done that you should is go get yourself some guide books. We started with a bunch of books from the library, and you can actually find a lot by looking for the green spots on Google maps.

By the way, if you don't have one, get a parks pass. If you're over 65, you can get a lifetime pass for only $10 if I recall. If you're not, then get a yearly pass. Just going in and out of Yellowstone a few times pays for the pass.

A couple of places we were this April that was nice. In Moab, Arches National Park is pretty and mostly pavement for a break. But at the very end of the paved road, there is a dirt road that goes off to Tower Arch. It's fun, but not super hard wheeling with a nice view at the arch, and gets away from the crowds in arches.

Grand Staircase Escalante and Capital Reef are neat parks that don't get a lot of press. And Canyonlands is a ton of fun. If you want a little camping and some light off-roading along the way, White Rim Trail is fun and really scenic.

If you aren't into hiking, Bryce is also worth going to, the views from the top are all paved walkways. And if you like stars, the top is 9,000ft and it's a dark sky park. We try to time our trips for new moons, but keep getting clouds.

When we did Yellowstone, we stayed in the Cook City / Silvergate area, just out of the north-east entrance to the park, up the Lamar Valley, which is where the wolves are. No $9 burgers, but not cheap either. Of course, it's not the luxury side of the park either. If you want to critter spot, that is a great place for it. We saw several wolves including some pups "playing" with an adult buffalo, who was not amused to have the young wolves there. They weren't any threat to the buffalo, but it was worth it. We where there in September, after labor day.

Kirk
awesome places to look into- Thanks- Im starting to think this will be more of a glaze over with more trips in the future.

This sounds like a wonderful vacation and I hope to be able to meet you and Mrs. OC and do a little wheeling. :)

I could add a ton of ideas on places to see, but I want to make sure you have some time to wheel. :lol:
Thanks for the off-line help Jess! I will make to your neck of the woods and a wheeling we will do! besides- someones got a new-ish rear suspension coming :D

Sounds like a great adventure! If you come by Las Cruces, go north to T or C and I can hook you up on a river canyon trip that you would enjoy. :wave:
Awesome! Thanks let me look into it- time is going to be the issue at this point. Maybe Ill have my wife quit and then the company will beg to have her back (she's the only one who knows what she does there) with maybe a raise. :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
OC, looks like you have your work cut out for you in figuring out where to go. :)

I'm glad that I'll just be along for the ride.

Old Sarge - what a fantastic offer! Thank you so much! I am used to camping (did it plenty of times as a youngin) but I'm more than happy to accept the A/C!

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
See happy wife= happy life= more mods.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
True- I did get new speakers for the Crackrock- 9 of them.... :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
OC, looks like you have your work cut out for you in figuring out where to go. :)

I'm glad that I'll just be along for the ride.

Old Sarge - what a fantastic offer! Thank you so much! I am used to camping (did it plenty of times as a youngin) but I'm more than happy to accept the A/C!
He does!

I just sent him a long email with a bunch of routing ideas...hopefully he shares it with you so you can join in the "fun" of reading my ramblings. :lol:

·
Registered
132 Posts
He does!

I just sent him a long email with a bunch of routing ideas...hopefully he shares it with you so you can join in the "fun" of reading my ramblings. :lol:

Yes, he forwarded that to me. This is his trip. :) Last year I got Hawaii, so this year OC can plan what he wants.

It does sound exciting, though. And I'm really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
592 Posts
This trip gets better by the day. Sounds like the two of you have a great relationship. Mrs. OC, i think I speak for alot of us when I say we really appreciate that our significant others put up with all of our modding....
Someone mentioned the Grand Tetons-they are amazing and if you can include them, you won't regret it.
I haven't heard anyone suggest fishing along the way. You are going to be around some great flyfishing areas. Not sure if you are into that at all. Could make for some great dinners.

Yes, he forwarded that to me. This is his trip. :) Last year I got Hawaii, so this year OC can plan what he wants.

It does sound exciting, though. And I'm really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
81 Posts
awesome places to look into- Thanks- Im starting to think this will be more of a glaze over with more trips in the future.
Oh, big time. So approach it as a "sampler", and don't worry about what you might not have time for. Every time we go out that way, we find more stuff we need to come back and do, or do more of. I think it makes sense to try to hit a little of a lot of places to see what you like, then come back another time for more details. That way, if one place isn't your speed, the next day is off to something else new and different. So don't try to do "everything" in a particular place.

By the way, a lot of the "nicer" hotels and cabins out there fill up early.

41 - 60 of 375 Posts