Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,990 Posts
Just received the pair of PowerBuilt combo jack stands & bottle jacks that I ordered from ToolSmithDirect. :)

Didn't have time to open the boxes today and won't until I get back home at the end of the week. Plan to use them to check and adjust the brakes on my Horizon Adventure Trailer and maybe to adjust the Icon coilovers on my FJ too.

Will post a report after I've tried them out. :wave:
I just received a pair yesterday. No time to play with them yet though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just ordered the Powerbuilt combo jack. I was just getting ready to get a floor jack when I came across this thread. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
So, I got a chance to try out the PowerBuilt combo jack adjusting my front Icon coilovers today.

My first reaction was that the PowerBuilt is too large and heavy to carry off-road. It has a large 9x9" base, stands about 12" high unextended and, even so, has a limited height range that makes it impractical for off-road use. The Hi-lift (as dangerous as it is) is still the more versatile and useful off-road lifting device.

Regarding height limitations, I only have a 3" Icon Stage II lift w/32" tires, but used all of the 21" height of the jack and only barely lifted the front wheels off of the ground. So, if you have a higher lift or even if you have a 3" lift w/33" tires, you may not be able to get the front tires off of the ground without needing a couple of pieces of 2x4 or 4x6 to put the combo jack on in order to increase lift height. I also experienced a small oil leak with the unit, but that is not uncommon w/hydraulic jacks. The leak was temporary, did not affect the functioning of the jack and oil can be easily added.

So, while it is a useful shop tool, the PowerBuilt combo jack is probably NOT something you'd want to haul off-road, given it's size, weight and operational limitations.

·
Registered
55 Posts
So, I got a chance to try out the PowerBuilt combo jack adjusting my front Icon coilovers today.

My first reaction was that the PowerBuilt is too large and heavy to carry off-road. It has a large 9x9" base, stands about 12" high unextended and, even so, has a limited height range that makes it impractical for off-road use. The Hi-lift (as dangerous as it is) is still the more versatile and useful off-road lifting device.

Regarding height limitations, I only have a 3" Icon Stage II lift w/32" tires, but used all of the 21" height of the jack and only barely lifted the front wheels off of the ground. So, if you have a higher lift or even if you have a 3" lift w/33" tires, you may not be able to get the front tires off of the ground without needing a couple of pieces of 2x4 or 4x6 to put the combo jack on in order to increase lift height. I also experienced a small oil leak with the unit, but that is not uncommon w/hydraulic jacks. The leak was temporary, did not affect the functioning of the jack and oil can be easily added.

So, while it is a useful shop tool, the PowerBuilt combo jack is probably NOT something you'd want to haul off-road, given it's size, weight and operational limitations.
good thing i kept reading i was planning on getting this after i get my lift.. thanks for the mini write up Swingshiftworker

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
good thing i kept reading i was planning on getting this after i get my lift.. thanks for the mini write up Swingshiftworker
You're welcome! :cheers:

·
Registered
493 Posts
That is a great deal! I picked up a pair of these

They're $40 a piece at tractor supply. The jack stand has a built in bottle jack, so you don't need a floor jack. It has a built in locking mechanism for safety, they work great! They can also work for trail repairs because of how wide of a base it has. It certainly feels a lot safer than a hi-lift.

Link
I just got back from TSC with one, and got it for $19.99!:bigthumb:

Local TSC here in town had one left, so i had them hold it for me.
The TSC website shows them priced at $29.99 each. This past week
I received a sale flier in the mail that had a $10 off coupon on a purchase of $30 or more.
I haven't found an online coupon for this offer, but there might be one out there to use.
Will try it out this week when i put on my set of wheels with the new AT tires i just had mounted yesterday.
Best $20 i have spent on something in a long time.

KyFJGuy

21 - 27 of 27 Posts