Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a very nice 2014 full Army Green FJ Cruiser listed on Craigslist in various cities across USA, obvious SCAM to me, but to new people just starting to look, beware of a deal that is too good to be true!

Here is the description they are using...

$12,523

""""runs and drives excellent,all services are complete and its ready to go,army green color and matched top,excellent interior condition(non-smoker),67k real miles on it,4-wheel drive,1 season left on the current tires"""

• Let me guess, if I send you money you will ship it to me???
Anyone else see this listed by them?

·
Registered
495 Posts
A member on here has announced he bought that one recently. But, Yes, that FJ is all over Craigs. On Spokane Craigs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So that was a real price someone got it for? Seems like best deal ever for a 2014?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi all

There was another listing on autotrader for a 2014 Trail Teams that was another obvious scam

Looked great but the price was around $20,000

They claimed they were a dealership and ever had a local dealers contact info but the car was not on the dealerships real webpage

Buyer beware Do your due diligence and don’t let your good judgment be clouded by phony promises

Happy new year and good luck to all

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've been seeing a very nice 2014 full Army Green FJ Cruiser listed on Craigslist in various cities across USA, obvious SCAM to me, but to new people just starting to look, beware of a deal that is too good to be true!

Here is the description they are using...

$12,523 View attachment 1149510
""""runs and drives excellent,all services are complete and its ready to go,army green color and matched top,excellent interior condition(non-smoker),67k real miles on it,4-wheel drive,1 season left on the current tires"""

• Let me guess, if I send you money you will ship it to me???
Anyone else see this listed by them?
Not a 14, 11 TT, or repainted roof

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Seinfeld 14 TTUE also appeared on eBay briefly after the BAT auction. Not realizing that was the exact same car, I contacted the seller who eventually said that the sale on BAT fell through and even sent me a copy of a California title that was obviously doctored. It’s a common scam it appears where they grab pictures from a recently sold vehicle before the carfax updates and they try to dupe unsuspecting buyers.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not a 14, 11 TT, or repainted roof
Oh ya. Buckle up for a read.

Many years ago I was looking for a trailer to buy on eBay. Was very excited due to the cheap price, in fantastic condition but have to sell due to husband moving to Canada story, blah blah blah. Contacted the seller via email, was ready to move forward, but wanted to see the vehicle. Seller said it was in storage and said it was a difficult thing to do. But, I had nothing to worry because she was working with ebays protection service to handle the transaction. Basically, I pay for it using protection services, the trailer is sent to me, then when if I am satisfied with the condition of the trailer, eBay would release the funds to her. If I didn’t like it I could ask for my money back from eBay. I was almost about to go through with it when I happened to be doing some more surfing for trailers on eBay when I noticed that the same exact pictures of the trailer I was about to purchase were being used in another auction. How could that be? I contacted both sellers and only one returned my emails. You can probably guess which one didn’t. I was so infuriated that I almost fell for it.

Fast forward to about 3 months ago. I was in the market for an FJ when I saw the hard to believe army green one that everyone has as well. Of course, I thought I hit the jackpot and was destined to be the first to respond to the ad. The seller replied back (grab a beer for this chain of events):

“The price is $12,500. I have tried to sell it at a higher price but we are in a bit of a rush since my husband got a new job and signed a contract for 2 years in Edmonton, Canada”

What? Not again. Knowing that this was possibly of the same scam flavor, this time around I thought I would have some fun and play along:

I asked to see the truck.
  1. No response, so I escalated and said how do we move forward.
  2. Got the following response:
Due to the fact that this is a large transaction I would like it be handled by eBay`s Escrow Protection Program which allows you to get it first, benefit of a 5 days inspection time period and then i will get the payment. SO...ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected. If you are a serious buyer and still interested in this car please reply with your full name (for the bill of sale), a delivery address and a phone # where you can be reached and I will forward them to eBay and they will send you the invoice with all of the transaction details.

Knowing that this was now definitely a scam and possible the same scammer of yesteryear I took things a step further, I replied “This sounds great. Okay, give me a moment to do the transaction. I do have one question though before I continue. I found you through craigslist. Why are we going through eBay?”
  1. No response.
  2. No time to give up, not without so much fun to be had, so I sent another email: “btw, I just turned 80 years old and am now of somewhat feeble mind and totally very technology challenged. So, I’m hoping this isn’t a scam. Because I wouldn’t be able to tell otherwise. But, you sound sincere enough. Please tell me your not a scammer and I will forward my personal details immediately”.
  3. I got the following response “There is nothing to be worried about this deal. I never fooled someone in any way. I won't risk my career, my freedom and my future for anything in the world! You can count on that! I would rather close this deal with another person than to know that you'll be very stressed hoping that I am an honest person, until you receive your car. Your peace of mind is a lot more important than this deal!!! If you decide not to go through with it there is no problem. I got quite a few offers left. Get back to me and let me know what you decide. Thank you for your time and interest. Whatever you decide, I wish you good luck. Sincerely, xxx
  4. Feeling relieved that this was not a scam (sarcasm off) I responded “12,500 seems awfly cheap. Since your making a big move to Canada I’m sure their will be additional expenses on your part. Can I offer more to help with your move. I would like to offer $15,000 if you’ll take it from a grateful old man.
  5. Just for fun and before getting a response back, I wondered if the seller was an FJ aficionado. I asked another question “Hi there, is that a manual or automatic transmission? I got no reply.
  6. After “some” time with no reply I thought the scammer had caught on. Then, miraculously, one day out of nowhere I get an email to my offer with a simply “OK”.
  7. At this point, I knew the scammer wanted me to use her link. Of course, being one step ahead I made a power play of monumental proportions and sent this response “Ok, sent my $15000 to eBay”
  8. She followed up with a simple “what???”.
  9. This is more fun than anyone should have. I next replied “I paid through eBay. Isn’t that what you wanted me to do? Okay, now I’m starting to get worried”.
  10. And I got the following “get the **** out”.
  11. And I followed it up with “Shame on you for talking to me like that Teresa. I’m out”.
As expected, all emails stopped.

But there’s more. So hang in there, it’ll be worth the wait.

I’m into all kinds of cars as I know y’all are as well. Hitting craigslist once again I run into a stunning dodge gen 2 dually with ridiculously low miles. Amazing pictures. Just what I’m looking for. So I send off an email hoping as usual I’m the first and the chosen one. Well, maybe I’m not the first but I suppose I’m the chosen one because what response do I get back from the seller but the same bloody eBay Canada story. Not having anything better to do with my time (did I tell you I hate people who take advantage of old people) I send a similar salvo of emails to the seller as I did with the green army FJ.

Guess what response I eventually got??? I won’t spoil it here as I want to her y’alls guess.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Saw the same one. @Nomadic is exactly right. And it’s very scripted. Expressed interest and got this in return “I have attached some pics with the car for you. As I told you in my first email, I will leave in a week to Canada, where my husband got a new job. Because of the short time that I have left and so many things to deal with concerning our departure I have signed a contract with eBay to take care of the selling on my behalf. The car is already at the shipping company in Denver, CO sealed and ready for the shipping. The total money you have to pay would be $12,500.00.
Due to the fact that this is a large transaction I would like it be handled by eBay`s Escrow Protection Program which allows you to get it first, benefit of a 5 days inspection time period and then i will get the payment. SO...ONLY AFTER you receive the car and you inspect it, eBay will release the payment to me, in this way we are both protected. If you are a serious buyer and still interested in this car please reply with your full name (for the bill of sale), a delivery address and a phone # where you can be reached and I will forward them to eBay and they will send you the invoice with all of the transaction details.
Thanks”
Lol

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I suppose I may be a little naive here... but regardless of their story and shenanigans... isnt eBays Escrow protection program legit and protective?

Thx

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
it was listed here in san diego as well. It was for some fly by night online sales gimmick

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,861 Posts
I suppose I may be a little naive here... but regardless of their story and shenanigans... isnt eBays Escrow protection program legit and protective?

Thx

Mike
I’m assuming they include a link that looks like it goes to eBay but it does in fact send your funds to their own account.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I’m assuming they include a link that looks like it goes to eBay but it does in fact send your funds to their own account.
Exactly! That’s what confused the scammer with the reply “what???” when I said that I had already paid eBay. Then, when I said “isn’t that what you wanted” is when he started to catch on.

·
Registered
396 Posts

Thx

Mike
it's the same as when you get the emails: "your account at (insert bank name here) has been compromised and locked for your safety", with a link to your "bank" to verify your information. some look very authentic, but if you look at the address bar it has nothing to do with the bank in question.

that's when the fun begins. in the hope that it is some scammer logging the info manually and not just digitally harvested, i enter my "username and password" etc, which always has something to do with his mother's sexual depravity and his attraction to barnyard animals. yeah, it probably just ends up on a thumb drive and gets sold along with any real data they scammed but at least it makes me feel better. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
This thread is great..!

The picture is of the one I bought.

This was an e-bay motors auction(Item number 353251059576) for 29.7k followed by an in-person meetup, vehicle inspection and a secure transaction for the 2014 FJ.

So someone is using the same pics too scam..

PLEASE BEWARE..!!

And thanks to all the awesome forum members for warning others..

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Since no one has bitten and replied back as to what response I got back from the seller of the Dodge Ram dually, I’ll post it here ...

“Get the F out of here old man” ...

In other words, the scammer of the FJ remembered me.

SCARY.

So short cut paper. President Reagan logic applies to buying cars online ... “Trust but verify”. And don’t click on anything unless you know what ur clicking.

Be safe my friends. Watch your six!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts