Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how in Hades did the defroster pass Toyota's QC test. i have read many post on this problem. it has been blamed on cheap windshield fluid. i was using rainx winter fluid. so that was not the problem.

it has been blamed on incorrect defroster setup. i had the it set on defroster only with the temp as high as it goes. so warm that i had to crack the windows. the outside temp was 30 degrees.

it has been blamed on cheap wiper blades. i am running rainx blades.

this picture was taken tonight on my way home from work in the dc metro area. what is on my windshield is ice not snow. ice the the blades could not clear.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Have you changed your cabin air filter lately?

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
weird, mine I'd have to say is probably the best and fastest out of the 30 or so vehicles I've owned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i personally dont use rainx .....streaks the windshield in the sunlight and really doesnt do anything extra to me ....i use prestone deicer washer fluid with michellin blades ....i have never had a defrost problem at all ....maybe you arent waiting enough time for it to melt .......if its extemely cold temps as in 20 or below id say its gonna take some time on any car to clear the windshield .....but write back and ill try to help u solve this problem being i am a technician ...thank you

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i personally dont use rainx .....streaks the windshield in the sunlight and really doesnt do anything extra to me ....i use prestone deicer washer fluid with michellin blades ....i have never had a defrost problem at all ....maybe you arent waiting enough time for it to melt .......if its extemely cold temps as in 20 or below id say its gonna take some time on any car to clear the windshield .....but write back and ill try to help u solve this problem being i am a technician ...thank you
thanks for the help. the windshield started out clear. this occurred as i was driving. i had this same problem with my last fj. it is EXTREMELY hazardous. i could barely see out of the window and could not stop as i was on a highway.

·
Registered
875 Posts
That is strange. If I leave mine on defrost only, it works like a charm. What is your washer fluid rated to (if you were using it). Maybe you just get crazy sticky slush in DC? At any rate that window looks pretty bad.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
i had this same problem with my last fj. it is EXTREMELY hazardous. i could barely see out of the window and could not stop as i was on a highway.
Mine works great. Never had a problem.

Why did you buy the FJ again if as you describe 'it is EXTREMELY hazardous'? To me that would preclude me from buying that vehicle again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here is a solution.

Before you start driving take out an ice scraper and scrape the ice from the windshield.

I've driven my FJ in heavy heavy snow fall in temps that where in the negatives. Even drove around during the latest blizzard we had in the midwest. Not a single issue with the defrosster and the wipers. I think the issues is located between the steering wheel and the headrest.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Do you actually have air coming out of your defrost vents? I had a car years ago that had a cracked air-line (the controls were pneumatic) and it couldn't go to defrost until I found the leak and replaced the line. I'm not saying that the FJ is the same kind of pneumatic system, but the obvious question is there air coming out of the defrost vent under the glass.

2010 FJ, no problem with my defrost.

·
Premium Member
8,997 Posts
I just came from a trip to snow in Flagstaff AZ
It was snowing so hard , the windshield began to fill up with snow/ice, like you described. I was on the highway doing about 35 or 40 tops. I put the defrost on high and it began to get hot inside the truck , so, I opened the windows about 1 inch on both sides. That was the cure. It got the windshield clear without blasting me out of the cab. it's just a matter of finding a happy spot for the windshield and the cabin . Let's face it, the FJ windshield is straight up and gathers snow/ice at the bottom. It really doesn't have much to do with the defrost, it worked fine. It's just a quirky design that creates a few problems. This was my very first experience with the FJ in a really hard snow, so I think I could dial it in better, if I had to deal with it all the time.
Here's a pic of the conditions we drove in all day

·
fka rsidey
926 Posts
I've never had a problem. Actually works a heck of a lot better than my Suburbans.

Try this:

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine works great. Never had a problem.

Why did you buy the FJ again if as you describe 'it is EXTREMELY hazardous'? To me that would preclude me from buying that vehicle again.
this happens once or twice a year in DC, that compared with how much i enjoy the truck is why i have a second one. like most relationships with a vehicle it is a love/hate thing. but that doesn't diminish the fact that a company like Toyota known for building some of the best automobiles in the world could allow this to happen.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is a solution.

Before you start driving take out an ice scraper and scrape the ice from the windshield.

I've driven my FJ in heavy heavy snow fall in temps that where in the negatives. Even drove around during the latest blizzard we had in the midwest. Not a single issue with the defrosster and the wipers. I think the issues is located between the steering wheel and the headrest.
the wind shield was completely clear when i started. it started snowing as i was driving. i put it in defrost mode, fan all the way on, and heat as high as it would go. and as i said i had great airflow.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I had some problems with wipers that weren't coated in rubber. They would freeze up and cause the same problem. I ended up buying the cheap arco winter wipers at walmart for 6 bucks each and I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
2,925 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have to agree with SAMSPADE58. The FJ defroster is crap. It is just not capable of dealing with the wet snow/sleet/freezing rain, that we get in the midwest. The lack of slope on the windshield and the low riding position of the wiper blades just doesn't work. I can't blame the wiperblades themselves as I have purchased every type ( I have quite a selection now) and it doesn't really make any difference. This is by far the worst defroster that I have ever had on any car/truck I've owned, by far!

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I like it when the windows steam up means she is getting hot.

My head lights seem to freeze up too. I stopped for gas and just pulled the frozen ice chunks off the lights and was on my way.

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here is my only solution. I would guess most of the western US members that responded have the usual "dry" snow. The wet slush that freezes on your wipers, kills the FJ in the NE. I believe it is the design of the windshield, not the defroster as much to blame.

Here was my solution.

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...ch/20183-how-install-heated-wiper-blades.html
thanks, i have seen this before, i want to explore all my options before spending $170 an a days worth of my time. i do have some questions.

1) how long do the blades last?
2) how much are the replacements?
3) can they be removed for summer running?

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
thanks, i have seen this before, i want to explore all my options before spending $170 an a days worth of my time. i do have some questions.
1) how long do the blades last? They warranty the heating element for 1 year. I just got the new ones as they are now silicone, a perfect wipe. If the heating element doesn't go, then these should last for up to ~5 years. Had the new ones on since 11/10.

2) how much are the replacements? ~$135

3) can they be removed for summer running? Yes, you'll need some caps for the wires, just call and ask, they should send them to you.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts