Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Awesome, but we knew it would be from what we've seen/heard about accidents thus far.

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
I didn't want the side impact air bags when I went to buy but the vehicle on the lot had them. makes me glad that I got them now.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The other day I was in the left-most right turn lane of a two-turn lane onto a freeway. The guy in the right lane, in a Mitsubishi something-or-other decided he wanted to drive straight through the intersection (and me) instead of turning right.

I felt the truck jump up and a bit to the left, heard this nasty crunching sound and when I looked in my rear view mirror the guy was pushing a bumper cover along as he slowed. I thought sure he had ripped off my rear bumper cover.

But, as I got out and quickly surveyed the FJ I saw no immediate visible damage. So, I then placed my heart back into my chest and went over to the other guy across the road.

As I turned, and he tried to go straight, he turned into my vehicle right before the my right-side rear tire. My tire actually rolled onto his bumper cover, ripping the entire front end of his car off, grill and all! There was a gnarly tire mark on the bumper and it got pushed in a bit.

In going back to the FJ to survey the damage further the ONLY thing was a slight scuff on the outside of the tire. It didn't even scuff the BFG white letters!!! Not even a mark on the wheel!!!

Needless to say I was thrilled. Yet another reason I'm happy I lifted my FJ!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
...As I turned, and he tried to go straight, he turned into my vehicle right before the my right-side rear tire. My tire actually rolled onto his bumper cover, ripping the entire front end of his car off, grill and all! There was a gnarly tire mark on the bumper and it got pushed in a bit.
Oh, man, I would love to see a picture of that! Glad to hear you're okay. I hate when people do retarded things like that.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Yep, got to love Toyota. I walked away form a head on crash with a 2007 peterbuilt tractor trailer doing 65mph. Not a scratch on me. Driving my 97 Toyota 4Runner.

·
Premium Member
6,082 Posts
Yep, got to love Toyota. I walked away form a head on crash with a 2007 peterbuilt tractor trailer doing 65mph. Not a scratch on me. Driving my 97 Toyota 4Runner.
Shadow-Warrior, sometimes I worry about you. DON'T GET OUT OF THE TANK. :ninja:

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Shadow-Warrior, sometimes I worry about you. DON'T GET OUT OF THE TANK. :ninja:
:rofl: :rofl: I know...I know...:cowsmile:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
not bad...glad I got the side curtains. Not by choice because I probably would have skipped the expense, they just happen to be an option on the rig I bought.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
No doubt. I wonder if they are scheduled to be mandatory yet...I know it is being pushed.

"It’s hard to nail the figure down precisely, but there’s little doubt the average 2007 model car or truck is carrying at least $2,500 in additional “up front” costs for recently-mandated safety equipment — as well as ever-higher “lifetime” costs (insurance premiums, repair and maintenance, etc.). Add side-impact/curtain air bags, back-up cameras, lane departure warning, intelligent cruise control and stability control to the equation and it’s probably low-balling it to say $4,000 per vehicle in government-mandated (or potentially soon-to-be-mandated) safety gear"

For once a dealer said something that was true. :)

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
i wasnt going to buy one without the side airbags. i too often have precious cargo with me to skimp out on something that can possibly save a life.

·
Registered
986 Posts
No doubt. I wonder if they are scheduled to be mandatory yet...I know it is being pushed.

"It’s hard to nail the figure down precisely, but there’s little doubt the average 2007 model car or truck is carrying at least $2,500 in additional “up front” costs for recently-mandated safety equipment — as well as ever-higher “lifetime” costs (insurance premiums, repair and maintenance, etc.). Add side-impact/curtain air bags, back-up cameras, lane departure warning, intelligent cruise control and stability control to the equation and it’s probably low-balling it to say $4,000 per vehicle in government-mandated (or potentially soon-to-be-mandated) safety gear"
I thought I read they will be standard equipment on next year's FJC.

Wow, that's a lot of money when you think about it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I happened to catch footage of a FJ Cruiser side impact crash test on The History Channel. It was a 40mph test and it looked like the FJ could have driven away from it. The FJ didn't move but about 6-9ft sideways and it had little cabin intrusionm with the doors taking the brunt of the impact.

If anyone is interested, the show was called "Boneyard", the episode was "automobiles" and it was right about in the middle of the episode.
-Trev

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
I thought I read they will be standard equipment on next year's FJC.

Wow, that's a lot of money when you think about it.
The devastating impact that traumatic brain injury (TBI) has on society is most dramatically revealed through numbers. Each year, an estimated 2 million Americans suffer some form of traumatic brain injury. Even more alarming, it is the leading cause of death and disability in persons under 45 years old, occurring more frequently than breast cancer, AIDS, multiple sclerosis and spinal cord injury combined. Other equally revealing statistics:​
  • Brain injury is suffered by someone in America, usually a young person, every 15 seconds;
  • Each year, approximately 100,000 people die from TBI and 500,000 more are permanently disabled;
  • 80,000 people experience the onset of long-term disability following a severe brain injury annually;
  • Approximately 5.3 million Americans - more than 2% of the US population - are living with a disability that results from TBI; and
  • The cost of treating, rehabilitating and caring for the victims of traumatic brain injury costs the U.S. approximately $30 billion each year.
CBIR - Traumatic Brain Injury

1 - 20 of 27 Posts