Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 224 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know there are a couple threads about this from a few years ago but didn't see that anyone actually had a parts list for all the components for possibly adding crawl control . I did some reasearch and made a few calls to the parts departments of some local dealers and this is what i come up with

What i found MOST interesting is the fact that Toyota doesn't have a different part number for a 4x4 control ECU with or without crawl control, both the ECU units are the same ..crawl control or not... if you have R diff lock and a-trac. so that would lead me to believe that all the programming needed for crawl is already in all ecu units, similar to the a -trac hack. Crawl control may be a possibility? or I could be going insane . both are plausible indeed.

Simply google the part numbers below for pics and description

Roof console part number
8126035500b0
the parts guy said this is the complete ceiling console unit, both lamps and both switches and dial

Roof bow part number
this piece mounts across roof horizontally and provides support for the mounting bracket.

Mounting bracket part number
This is what the console mounts directly to

Console wiring harness part number
This small harness ties all the features of the console together it has a plug at the end that plugs into the main headliner harness.

Main Headliner harness part number
8217135c30
This is the main harness in the headliner. it feeds everything lights, subwoofer ect.. It differs from the non crawl control harness in that it has a lead with a plug at the end to plug into the console harness and it plugs into the 4x4 control ECU located under the dash on the drivers side

Driving support switch control ECU
859a135010

I have no idea specifically WTF this does, But you absolutely need it

So there ya go ..I think these are all the parts needed to do this. if anyone could do more research and post anything ive overlooked , that would be great!!

What really surprised me was the fact that there wasn't a different part number for the ECU 's that had crawl and the ones that didn't..Unless it needs to be downloaded externally, That could mean that all the programming for crawl is in all 4x4 control ecu's

Obviously this would probably entail cutting some mounting holes in the headliner but that could be easily done

when pricing this out it came to under $600.00

ANYWAY..... looking forward to getting some feedback on this insane scheme

thanks

T

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Great job! I'm interested in this too. I have a little more time this weekend and I will assist in some research, maybe parallel to you but I'm willing to help. I've already got the console mounting plate and will be gathering other parts. Let's do this!

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think perhaps that with older models, ones that were made before crawl was an option you might need to swap the 4x4 control ecu with a newer one. I did my research using my rig as an example which is a 2014. it was funny one of the parts guys i spoke with was just couldnt believe that the ECU"S were the the same . He put me on hold for a long time ,asked his service guy as well as a bunch of other people . And finally told me " ya both ecu's are the same .. weird"

my next question is how the console mounts to the headliner Im thinking you might be able to simply drill four holes for the mounting pins to go through to snap into the mounting bracket and feed the tail of the console harness through existing light hole, but this is just conjecture, what I need to see is a pic of the headliner WITHOUT the crawl control console attached to see how it mounts ,So if anyone can scare up some pics , that would be very useful.

·
Premium Member
4,688 Posts
I think perhaps that with older models, ones that were made before crawl was an option you might need to swap the 4x4 control ecu with a newer one. I did my research using my rig as an example which is a 2014. it was funny one of the parts guys i spoke with was just couldnt believe that the ECU"S were the the same . He put me on hold for a long time ,asked his service guy as well as a bunch of other people . And finally told me " ya both ecu's are the same .. weird"
Speaking as someone with a software development background, it's actually more expensive for them to make two different ECUs. Everything needed for crawl control to work is already digital: ABS sensors, drive-by-wire throttle etc. It's just adding the hardware/console parts you've found and letting the truck now that you have that hardware.

Don't forget that on crawl-control trucks they also move ATRAC and RR DIFF LOCK buttons to the ceiling. I don't see why you'd have to do this on a truck that already has them wired under the stereo, it's just more work for not much benefit. Unless there's some easy wiring harness that comes in the kit.

Worth it? I'm skeptical. The technical benefits of ATRAC/Lock over a standard 4x4 are blatantly obvious for anyone who's ever watched a 90's era 4Runner struggle over something that our FJ's cruise right over. But for the few times I've seen crawl control in action -- granted, all rocky situations in Colorado -- it's not that helpful if you already have everything else turned on. In other scenarios,
? Maybe it makes much more sense.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thanks for the part numbers and info... i'm thinking this will only be good on 2013+2014 because they have the cc as an option?

I know you stated that a non cc and a cc vehicle have the same ecu's (only on model year 13 &) 14 but I'm just thinking that's the way yota does it with a lot of their options...

just my .o2c

BUT I have a 2012 and maybe depending on date of manufacture could they possibly started using the newer ecu's with the cc programming? just another thought as im typing at work :redblob:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree it doesn't make any sense from a manufacturing standpoint to have to have two different ecus .. in the Crawl control console the A-trac and r Dif lock switches are simply re located from the lower switch panel to the Crawl console . My thinking is that you would have to remove the switches (a-trac and R dif Lock) that are in the lower switch panel as to not send additional input to the ECU.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the part numbers and info... i'm thinking this will only be good on 2013+2014 because they have the cc as an option?

I know you stated that a non cc and a cc vehicle have the same ecu's (only on model year 13 &) 14 but I'm just thinking that's the way yota does it with a lot of their options...

just my .o2c

BUT I have a 2012 and maybe depending on date of manufacture could they possibly started using the newer ecu's with the cc programming? just another thought as im typing at work :redblob:
ya my thought is on older non cc models you might have to swap the 4x4 control ecu with with a 2013 2014 unit .. not sure tho ..just a therory

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jimmy...here is a pic of the back of the cc console it has a small harness that connects the A_trac R dif loc and the speed knob together and connects to the main roof harness no need to have a separate harness for a-trac and dif lock that are on lower switch panel .. hope this ansewrs your question

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
Based on a quick google search that number comes back as a transfer case computer differential lock for 07-14 4x4 FJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmmm let me look into that

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
comes up as this for me

Home > 8953335260
tip Check if this part fits your vehicle, CLICK HERE.
Toyota Part No.: 89533-35260
COMPUTER, 4 WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL Fast DeliveryDedicated ServiceGuaranteed Genuine
Your Price: $156.20
Retail Price:$212.96
You Save:$56.76
Qty:

Add OEM Toyota Computer, 4 Wheel Dr to Cart
Part Info
Part No. 89533-35260
Part Description COMPUTER, 4 WHEEL DRIVE CONTROL
Manufacturer Toyota. This genuine Toyota part is guaranteed by Toyota's factory warranty.
Part Fitment
Model Year Trim Engine Important vehicle option details
FJ Cruiser
2007-2014

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
notice it indicates 2007-20014 at the bottom but i could be wrong ....

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It just might be.... it just might be.....kinda like the a-trac hack on steroids ... im leaning toward it is !... beautiful part is all the parts can be had for under $600

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Speaking as someone with a software development background, it's actually more expensive for them to make two different ECUs. Everything needed for crawl control to work is already digital: ABS sensors, drive-by-wire throttle etc. It's just adding the hardware/console parts you've found and letting the truck now that you have that hardware.

Don't forget that on crawl-control trucks they also move ATRAC and RR DIFF LOCK buttons to the ceiling. I don't see why you'd have to do this on a truck that already has them wired under the stereo, it's just more work for not much benefit. Unless there's some easy wiring harness that comes in the kit.

Worth it? I'm skeptical. The technical benefits of ATRAC/Lock over a standard 4x4 are blatantly obvious for anyone who's ever watched a 90's era 4Runner struggle over something that our FJ's cruise right over. But for the few times I've seen crawl control in action -- granted, all rocky situations in Colorado -- it's not that helpful if you already have everything else turned on. In other scenarios, mud and sand? Maybe it makes much more sense.
I totally agree with you Jimmy the benefits of A-trac and R dif are pretty apparent. IMO crawl gives you the added benefit of controlling your speed on steep descents and ascents, similar to a lefty or a marlin except it is done electronically instead of using gears ... its just another tool in the box

·
Registered
765 Posts
1 - 20 of 224 Posts