Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,244 Posts

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,504 Posts
You don't have to mod the tank for any atlas install. its only for the dual case "tacobox" since you are essentially using 2 cases it only works well in the long wheelbase tacoma.

https://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/4x4-off-road-tech/29475-atlas-four-speed-transfer-case-12.html
Yea but I really want to retain my factory case and utilize a doubler. The only way I can do that with the Atlas is use the 4 speed which has its own doubler in a manner of speaking. I just don’t want to spend that amount of coin for it when it’ll take body mods including removing heat shielding and reshaping the tunnel then installing a triple shifter oh and I would have to build a crossmember and adapter for it or risk failure. I’ve heard they’re kinda noisy too, probably sounds similar to my AA overdrive in my 40.

I love the things but weighing pros vs cons along with the modifications needed and costs I think the TacoBox wins out for me. If I were ever thinking about going SAS I would consider it maybe but I don’t ever foresee that as a possibility.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,504 Posts
I’ll be speaking with Mike this week if possible, I visited with them last year and checked out the TacoBox. Solid unit.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,504 Posts
There’s two reasons I want the crawl box.

First is wear and tear on the drivetrain on climbs reducing or eliminating shock load and over heating causing premature wear. Second is that I can easily see myself bumping up to 37’s at some point and that will definitely add too much stress to the drive line.

The only issue I’m concerned with is being left with essentially an open front diff in Lo Lo at 206/1 ratio. I’m still rolling with A-Trac so my concern is with the ultra slow tire rotation will the A-Trac still sense traction loss and compensate? Maybe @CabinCruiser or @gearwrench will have some thoughts on this.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
There’s two reasons I want the crawl box.

First is wear and tear on the drivetrain on climbs reducing or eliminating shock load and over heating causing premature wear. Second is that I can easily see myself bumping up to 37’s at some point and that will definitely add too much stress to the drive line.

The only issue I’m concerned with is being left with essentially an open front diff in Lo Lo at 206/1 ratio. I’m still rolling with A-Trac so my concern is with the ultra slow tire rotation will the A-Trac still sense traction loss and compensate? Maybe @CabinCruiser or @gearwrench will have some thoughts on this.
A-trac doesn't care what speed you are going, the only confusion might be that it tries to control when actual speed will be compounded with the new lower gears. It's reaction time is probably slower than how the drivetrain behaves if it is reliant upon VSS in the drivetrain vs the speed sensors at the wheel. I don't think it's adaptive learning but perhaps @FJtest could chime in on the specifics of A-Trac and how it will function with compound low range. Good question, Thorn.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
. I’ve heard they’re kinda noisy too, probably sounds similar to my AA overdrive in my 40.
They are straight cut gears similar to your OD, and got their design inheritance from the venerable NP205 and Dana 300 transfer case. Most people fight drivetrain noise with one of these and a simple clockwise turn of the radio dial. :grin

·
Premium Member
1,615 Posts
Thorn . i would contact . Wyatt . from Rock Solid Toys They install both the Marlin and Atlas he will give you a unbiased opinion . They will also know what you will run into .

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,504 Posts
A-trac doesn't care what speed you are going, the only confusion might be that it tries to control when actual speed will be compounded with the new lower gears. It's reaction time is probably slower than how the drivetrain behaves if it is reliant upon VSS in the drivetrain vs the speed sensors at the wheel. I don't think it's adaptive learning but perhaps @FJtest could chime in on the specifics of A-Trac and how it will function with compound low range. Good question, Thorn.
Appreciate the input CC I hadn’t thought about the drivetrain sensors not understanding why the wheels aren’t achieving an expected speed, all I had thought about was the wheel sensors spinning too slow. Food for thought, let’s see what Test has to say.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Thorn . i would contact . Wyatt . from Rock Solid Toys They install both the Marlin and Atlas he will give you a unbiased opinion . They will also know what you will run into .
Big Mike at Marlin is pretty knowledgeable too if you can get him on the phone.

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Crap! I just realized this 50% off Taco Supreme Box Certificate from Summit XII expires in July! :surprise

·
トヨタ Master
5,795 Posts
Did you talk to Big Mike? I’m gonna give them a call in a few minutes. Did you get drive shafts also?
No, Mike was gone, talked to Kyle. I did not get driveshafts. I'll get them re-shafted locally.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts