Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Crawling

10K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  Thorn661 
#1 ·
Saw this on tube, a few FJCs later on in the video

#2 ·
Saw this on tube, a few FJCs later on in the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seFE4P3_TTo
Thats is my FJ right behind them . I actually lead that trail :wink . The FJs are from the next day . If you look close when the first one goes up , Up towards the Top of the Hill DebFJVT and i were parked up there and watching . You can see her FJ up there .

#6 ·
Yes I was with Mike and Marlin for a few days . You can not see it as n the video but Marlin was out talking to
People while his truck was crawling around on its own . They will be back again this year also. . You can buy a taco box but you need to modify the gas tank . I went with a Atlas for that reason . I know that they are working on a bolt in unit like the Lefty again .

#13 ·
This is good to know, I wasn’t aware that you have to modify the tank. That’s a deal breaker for me. Do you have a link for the Atlas install? I assuming you got it from Advanced Adapters, all I see on their site is the case for the Jeep.

#15 ·
Thorn i am not sure if you are coming to Summit this year ? But Marlin and Mike will be there again and they will be running with Deb and i on Thur and Fri Mike will have the new RCLT . Really some great people . I think Fri The owner of Come Up winch is going to run with us as well . . We are not set for a organized run on Fri so i think we will just have Deb blaze the trails , She knows trails Better than me .

#20 ·
Since this is the crawling thread, answer me this. Why is it everybody (mostly other forums) saying a crawl ratio of about 100 max is ideal for crawling? When marlin's rigs are at 580 it crawls up obstacles by itself? Obviously for crawling the slower the better right?

So to me, the 4 speed atlas (or taco box if it would fit the FJ) is the perfect option. The deepest option of gears would be 1:1, 1:2.72, 1:4.3, 1:11.69. With at least 3 speeds you will be able to keep up on the trails/mud and still out crawl anything else with the push of a lever.

New Rubicons are rolling out of the factory with a final ratio of 77 which is over twice as slow as a stock FJC. For those of us truly into crawling, doesn't it make sense to go as high of ratio as possible? Why is Marlin the only one doing it?

#22 ·
#23 ·
Yea but I really want to retain my factory case and utilize a doubler. The only way I can do that with the Atlas is use the 4 speed which has its own doubler in a manner of speaking. I just don’t want to spend that amount of coin for it when it’ll take body mods including removing heat shielding and reshaping the tunnel then installing a triple shifter oh and I would have to build a crossmember and adapter for it or risk failure. I’ve heard they’re kinda noisy too, probably sounds similar to my AA overdrive in my 40.

I love the things but weighing pros vs cons along with the modifications needed and costs I think the TacoBox wins out for me. If I were ever thinking about going SAS I would consider it maybe but I don’t ever foresee that as a possibility.

#26 ·
There’s two reasons I want the crawl box.

First is wear and tear on the drivetrain on climbs reducing or eliminating shock load and over heating causing premature wear. Second is that I can easily see myself bumping up to 37’s at some point and that will definitely add too much stress to the drive line.

The only issue I’m concerned with is being left with essentially an open front diff in Lo Lo at 206/1 ratio. I’m still rolling with A-Trac so my concern is with the ultra slow tire rotation will the A-Trac still sense traction loss and compensate? Maybe @CabinCruiser or @gearwrench will have some thoughts on this.

#27 ·
A-trac doesn't care what speed you are going, the only confusion might be that it tries to control when actual speed will be compounded with the new lower gears. It's reaction time is probably slower than how the drivetrain behaves if it is reliant upon VSS in the drivetrain vs the speed sensors at the wheel. I don't think it's adaptive learning but perhaps @FJtest could chime in on the specifics of A-Trac and how it will function with compound low range. Good question, Thorn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.