Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I tried posting this on the suspension discussion board and didn’t get a single hit so I’ll give it a chance on this board. I have a creaking noise coming from my FL (drivers side) and have searched the forum top to bottom and haven’t found a solution. The creaking noise happens during significant up and down travel and/or when putting average load on the left side like when turning a corner. I have a 08’ w/ over 200,000 miles and this is the first time I haven’t been able to identify a source of a noise. I have 3’ Icon coil overs w/ remote res and hiem joint pivot TC UCA. Brand new hiems and uniball replaced 1 month ago. I replaced my LCA bushing w/ Energy Suspension poly bushings last week. I have custom HD sway bar links in which I just replaced the hiem joints 2 months ago. I have LCA ball joints with zerks and have pushed new grease through them. I ended up taking the sway bar off and it didn’t do a thing. Next I took my coil over off and checked and cleaned the lower and upper ball joints of the coil over and nothing! I have no idea what’s causing this noise and I’m losing my mind trying to find it. Can anyone help me?!

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
G'Day GF,
I get a recurring creaking noise from the lower shock eye comT10 bearings in my King COs.
Took me years to track it down, I have new bearing on hand to replace them, just been lazy.... I've tried alot of different lubes once I tracked it down, and the best by far is Tri flow Dry lube, a shot of this once a month in the shock eye and the noise is gone.
worth a crack.... with what ever lube you have handy...see if it silences the banshee
Cheers
Baz
Legacy :blueblob:

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
G'Day GF,
I get a recurring creaking noise from the lower shock eye comT10 bearings in my King COs.
Took me years to track it down, I have new bearing on hand to replace them, just been lazy.... I've tried alot of different lubes once I tracked it down, and the best by far is Tri flow Dry lube, a shot of this once a month in the shock eye and the noise is gone.
worth a crack.... with what ever lube you have handy...see if it silences the banshee
Cheers
Baz
Good morning Baz! I can always count on you to help me with a mind puzzler! I actually took my coil over off my rig and inspected both the bearing (I accidentally called them ball joint in my post). I ran some compressed air over them to get any sand and dirt off and then I cleaned them with some soapy water and lubed them up with CRC dry lube. I inserted the misalignment spacers and put a bolt through both the top and bottom bearing and tested the movement of the bearing and there wasn’t a sound! I reinstalled the coil over and that evil creaking noise was still there! Not a bit of difference! Is it possible that actual load of the vehicle causes the noise to either one of those bearing and can’t simulate it when the coil over is off the vehicle?

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,098 Posts
My FJ creaks too...I think it sounds like the rear end on mine but can’t track it down. Nor can I find any issues. I have 23k miles on the Odo and am running Fox 2.5 with resi, lower links with johnyjoints and uppers have one heim and one bush(front)...

so subscribed in case anyone else sheds light on it.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My FJ creaks too...I think it sounds like the rear end on mine but can’t track it down. Nor can I find any issues. I have 23k miles on the Odo and am running Fox 2.5 with resi, lower links with johnyjoints and uppers have one heim and one bush(front)...

so subscribed in case anyone else sheds light on it.
I think that we’re on to a common topic that has been touched upon in the forum several times but no creak/squeak/groan/grinding/etc is the same . In your case, I would need to ask one question. Are you running OEM rear upper links? I’ve read in multiple threads that combining adjustable rear lower links with OEM rear uppers has caused this creaking noise.

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Good morning Baz! I can always count on you to help me with a mind puzzler! I actually took my coil over off my rig and inspected both the bearing (I accidentally called them ball joint in my post). I ran some compressed air over them to get any sand and dirt off and then I cleaned them with some soapy water and lubed them up with CRC dry lube. I inserted the misalignment spacers and put a bolt through both the top and bottom bearing and tested the movement of the bearing and there wasn’t a sound! I reinstalled the coil over and that evil creaking noise was still there! Not a bit of difference! Is it possible that actual load of the vehicle causes the noise to either one of those bearing and can’t simulate it when the coil over is off the vehicle?
G'Day GF,
Its a possibility for sure, no load ..no squeak.... with my lower eye bearings, the squeak would come and go... I kept coming to the conclusion it was my UCA ball joints, as total Chaos UCA's are known to squeak n groan...so I kept lubing them....which sometimes silenced them .... but since pinning it to the lower eye, i now have no squeaks...and the UCA's aren't the issue. I am running aftermarket rear upper n lower links as well ...
It would be worth lubing the lower eye on the CO's, and see if that impacts the squeak... to at least eliminate it ...
Give it a try ....
Cheers
Baz

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No I’m running aftermarket adjustable uppers with heim joint at rear and bushing at front
Well that checks one potential problem off the list. I run TC upper, lower links, and panhard/track bar and I live in AZ the land of dust, dirt, and sand so you better believe all that finds its way into the joints. Have you completely removed all the rear links and thoroughly cleaned and lubed them, as well as, the frame mounts? If that doesn’t work try removing the rear SB and SB links. I did this a year ago and it definitely gives me more flex and eliminates more components that can creak and squeak. If that doesn’t solve the creak start working your way towards the engine. Check to see if you’re body mounts are torqued down to spec. Check your exhaust mounts. Check your transmission mounts. Check your cross member. If you have no luck with any of those components move on to your rear drivetrain (calipers, rotors, parking brake, anything linked to the axle, etc.). If that’s the case let me know and I can point out some issues I’ve had. Good luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
G'Day GF,
Its a possibility for sure, no load ..no squeak.... with my lower eye bearings, the squeak would come and go... I kept coming to the conclusion it was my UCA ball joints, as total Chaos UCA's are known to squeak n groan...so I kept lubing them....which sometimes silenced them .... but since pinning it to the lower eye, i now have no squeaks...and the UCA's aren't the issue. I am running aftermarket rear upper n lower links as well ...
It would be worth lubing the lower eye on the CO's, and see if that impacts the squeak... to at least eliminate it ...
Give it a try ....
Cheers
Baz
Baz, you will never believe the source of my creak/squeak! It was the combination of my hood’s left side lift cylinder being loose and hood latch. I opened my hood to see if I could hear the noise better and as I started to rock my rig back and forth I noticed that the noise was completely gone! WTF?! I immediately closed the hood and rocked my back and forth again and the creak was back! I opened my hood up and torqued down every bolt I could find and the only one that seemed loose was the bottom bolt to the lift cylinder. At the same time cleaned and lubed my hood latch and it was full of dirt and grime. I’m guessing that the creak was amplified when the hood was closed and made it sound like it was coming from one of the front suspension components. I think I just got really lucky...
As always thank you for your help Baz and thanks to you I know where to look for future front creaks and squeaks!

·
Premium Member
10,851 Posts
Baz, you will never believe the source of my creak/squeak! It was the combination of my hood’s left side lift cylinder being loose and hood latch. I opened my hood to see if I could hear the noise better and as I started to rock my rig back and forth I noticed that the noise was completely gone! WTF?! I immediately closed the hood and rocked my back and forth again and the creak was back! I opened my hood up and torqued down every bolt I could find and the only one that seemed loose was the bottom bolt to the lift cylinder. At the same time cleaned and lubed my hood latch and it was full of dirt and grime. I’m guessing that the creak was amplified when the hood was closed and made it sound like it was coming from one of the front suspension components. I think I just got really lucky...
As always thank you for your help Baz and thanks to you I know where to look for future front creaks and squeaks!
G'Day GF,
Thats awesome mate.... well done.... have a beer !!! you deserve it...
Cheers
Baz

1 - 10 of 10 Posts