Premium Member
728 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So, do you have the patch?
The patch is cool, but I was never a patch guy. My deployment pelican has it's entire lid velcroed (spelling?) and full of free patches, cause I felt bad throwing them away. But the stencils and stickers? All over....

And I can't take credit for the sticker idea…. I saw it done on a Jeep prototype dash, if I remember correctly. I liked it, and found a home for our trip stickers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got around to getting the roof Line-Xed today, I like it. They told me it would have a semi glossy look for a few months before it faded to matte.

And since I managed to mess up my knob when cleaning it, I ordered a new set. They're alright.

The interior is still a super big mess and very dirty, but the cleaning will come later.

Where'd you get those knobs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Beautiful truck . Nice and functional for the family.

I agree with tour wife, doesnt look good without flares.

Get some oem wheels, will clean up the look more.

Your key/remote link - doesnt seem to work for me 😞

I dont have a dual battery- what model fridge is that? Can it be plugged in while driving in oem rear plug? I imagine running it all night at camp site with single battery - will kill battery?

How many does your RTT sleep? I am thinking of getting one. We do 4-5 camping trips a year but all in ground tents

Glad to see you are not a patch guy

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Beautiful truck . Nice and functional for the family.

I agree with tour wife, doesnt look good without flares.

Get some oem wheels, will clean up the look more.

Your key/remote link - doesnt seem to work for me 😞

I dont have a dual battery- what model fridge is that? Can it be plugged in while driving in oem rear plug? I imagine running it all night at camp site with single battery - will kill battery?

How many does your RTT sleep? I am thinking of getting one. We do 4-5 camping trips a year but all in ground tents

Glad to see you are not a patch guy
The flare less look is starting to grow on me. My wife will never warm to it, but oh well.

The rims will go in time, they came with the FJ when I bought it, they will likely be replaced by the black TRD style rims.

I will fix the link tonight.

The fridge is a BlackForest, it was cheaper, but IMO just as good, I have had zero issues with it and like it a lot. I ran it only on a single battery until recently when I did my dual install, it has a cutout so if your voltage runs too low it will shut off if you decide to only run a single battery. My main issue was it not running when the ignition was turned off, and I was going to be doing a dual battery anyway.... so ya. Your biggest issue running it all night would be that you would have to make your rear outlet constant on, not too hard to do, but not something I wanted to do.

The RTT sleeps 4. It sleeps my wife, myself and our two kids just fine, but they're 3 and 5. It is the same dimensions as our king bed at home. I had been exclusively ground only, but I love the RTT, an given the chance will stick with it for the foreseeable future. I still use ground tents and the like, but only for hiking and hunting.

·
Registered
974 Posts
The RTT sleeps 4. It sleeps my wife, myself and our two kids just fine, but they're 3 and 5. It is the same dimensions as our king bed at home. I had been exclusively ground only, but I love the RTT, an given the chance will stick with it for the foreseeable future. I still use ground tents and the like, but only for hiking and hunting.
thank you for the fridge info

Do you have this one?
http://www.smittybiltdepot.com/Outdoor-Lifestyle-and-Camping/Smittybilt-Overlander-XL-Roof-Top-Tent-2883.aspx?t_c=88&t_s=565&t_pt=9576&t_pn=S/B2883

4 people king size is fine

Does it mount to OEM FJ roof rack?

Also the part that extends with the ladder — the part thats off the car - can that part take any weight?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
thank you for the fridge info

Do you have this one?
Smittybilt Part 2883 - Smittybilt Overlander XL Roof Top Tent - 2883-WS2

4 people king size is fine

Does it mount to OEM FJ roof rack?

Also the part that extends with the ladder — the part thats off the car - can that part take any weight?
That is the same as the one I got. Because I am poor and needed a cheaper RTT, that being said, I have zero issues with it, and the fit and finish is just fine for me. I mounted it to the stock rack, but it was super high. I am in the process of setting up the quick attach thing from Front Runner, so it might end up still being super high. But I wasn't a fan of it mounted to the stock roof rack, given the height, as well as the slope of the rack, but it worked out alright. Attachment and setup was easy.

The part that hangs off the car is supported by the ladder, so it can take weight, if it didn't I wouldn't be able to get up into the tent, but I was also able to sleep on that part without issue. But that was one concern my wife had, but after the first night she was fine with it.

ETA, I fixed the key fob DIY link above.

·
Registered
974 Posts
That is the same as the one I got. Because I am poor and needed a cheaper RTT, that being said, I have zero issues with it, and the fit and finish is just fine for me. I mounted it to the stock rack, but it was super high. I am in the process of setting up the quick attach thing from Front Runner, so it might end up still being super high. But I wasn't a fan of it mounted to the stock roof rack, given the height, as well as the slope of the rack, but it worked out alright. Attachment and setup was easy.

The part that hangs off the car is supported by the ladder, so it can take weight, if it didn't I wouldn't be able to get up into the tent, but I was also able to sleep on that part without issue. But that was one concern my wife had, but after the first night she was fine with it.

ETA, I fixed the key fob DIY link above.
Man, if RTT guys claim they are "poor," we ground tent people must be sub human :D Glad to hear that's the one you have. On the stock rack, is it easy to attach? No issues, aside it from being super high?

Height, did it create noise, lots of MPG issue, or did ladder not reach down enough?

Sounds like me and your wife had the same concern about the "hanging off" part. I am just thinking of car can take static weight of 2 adults and 2 kids up there. Sorry for the silly questions.

Thanks for the Key Fob Link - will go check it out. Edit: checked it out. Looks like my 12 FJ has the newer style key. Finally a mod I don't have to do :D

P.S. The quick attach from FrontRunner, is that something that goes on stock rack? I don't want to change my rack.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Man, if RTT guys claim they are "poor," we ground tent people must be sub human :D Glad to hear that's the one you have. On the stock rack, is it easy to attach? No issues, aside it from being super high?

Height, did it create noise, lots of MPG issue, or did ladder not reach down enough?

Sounds like me and your wife had the same concern about the "hanging off" part. I am just thinking of car can take static weight of 2 adults and 2 kids up there. Sorry for the silly questions.

Thanks for the Key Fob Link - will go check it out. Edit: checked it out. Looks like my 12 FJ has the newer style key. Finally a mod I don't have to do :D

P.S. The quick attach from FrontRunner, is that something that goes on stock rack? I don't want to change my rack.
Ya I have zero funds to throw at my FJ, tent included, so I sell other stuff to fuel this addiction. Height may well have decreased the mpg, technically speaking it must have, but I didn't really pay attention to it. The ladder reaches down just fine, and if you lift it, there are ladder adapters out there. You would have to work something out to get the FrontRunner kit to attach to a stock rack, which would be the opposite of fun. I'm in the process of adapting it to my rack, and it is not fun, even though it's much more similar to the FrontRunner rack.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ya I have zero funds to throw at my FJ, tent included, so I sell other stuff to fuel this addiction. Height may well have decreased the mpg, technically speaking it must have, but I didn't really pay attention to it. The ladder reaches down just fine, and if you lift it, there are ladder adapters out there. You would have to work something out to get the FrontRunner kit to attach to a stock rack, which would be the opposite of fun. I'm in the process of adapting it to my rack, and it is not fun, even though it's much more similar to the FrontRunner rack.
Appreciate the info. I am not keen on changing my OEM rack. So if I can't find a RTT for my OEM rack, then I will keep ground tenting, the 4 times a year I go camping

THank you for the help once again.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Still working on the roof rack and the quick attach, although it is now the lowest roof rack I have seen, with one of the cross bars directly on the roof....

But in the mean time, my voltmeter was running low, and having read other threads explaining as to why, I decided to get the replacement fuse to boost the alternator output.

The packaging was sketchy....

Installation could not be easier, so I actually didn't mess it up!

And BAM! Instant desired results.

ETA, all cleaned up, still needing some labels.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I picked up a roof rack from a forum member, and they did awesome in shipping it out to me. I was looking for something lower and that I could shift around more to my liking, and their roof rack seemed like exactly what I was looking for. The problem was, I installed it incorrectly, because again, I like to mess things up at first just to make things more difficult on myself. So every time I went above 65mph, it sounded like a jackhammer on my roof.

So I poured some liquid gold last night....

And got to work (repainting the crossbars because I didn't want silver, even though I never look up there anyway), an re installing the roof rack. Then this morning I did some freeway runs, and zero issues. Although I have no idea what I did wrong in the first place, it seems to be just fine now.

While I was at it, I also installed the FrontRunner quick attach for my roof top tent, which I have yet to try out, I will likely get to it on Monday or Tuesday, holiday and all.

But the rack sits really low, which is exactly what I wanted.

The pictures were taken without the bolts screwed in, so yes, they were sticking out in the pictures....

·
Desert Moderator
5,670 Posts
So I picked up a roof rack from a forum member, and they did awesome in shipping it out to me. I was looking for something lower and that I could shift around more to my liking, and their roof rack seemed like exactly what I was looking for. The problem was, I installed it incorrectly, because again, I like to mess things up at first just to make things more difficult on myself. So every time I went above 65mph, it sounded like a jackhammer on my roof.

So I poured some liquid gold last night....

And got to work (repainting the crossbars because I didn't want silver, even though I never look up there anyway), an re installing the roof rack. Then this morning I did some freeway runs, and zero issues. Although I have no idea what I did wrong in the first place, it seems to be just fine now.

While I was at it, I also installed the FrontRunner quick attach for my roof top tent, which I have yet to try out, I will likely get to it on Monday or Tuesday, holiday and all.

But the rack sits really low, which is exactly what I wanted.

The pictures were taken without the bolts screwed in, so yes, they were sticking out in the pictures....

What brand/model rack is that?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
We decided to take a weekend trip (5 days total) and drive from Phoenix to Del Norte for some camping a couple of weeks ago. The drive was good, no issues or complaints, except that I may choose to go with the smaller in size hard top RTT over this one. The single reason being the ability to leave it on at all times and still fit in the garage. Even with the “quick attach” mount from Front Runner, it’s still a monumental pain to mount and dismount alone. But once it’s up there, it’s awesome, with a ton of room, and the kids absolutely love it.

Packed for the trip (the mess was my wife’s jackets, although the weather was actually rather warm, upper 60s-70s.

But there are some pretty sweet and entertaining roads to drive throughout the whole area, such as this one, with a ton of great hiking as well.

The campsites were pretty awesome, although my wife wasn’t a fan of the “ton of mosquitos”, there were like a handful, at most…. It didn’t rain so I didn’t get a chance to try out the awning, perhaps next time.

Setting up camp took about 7 minutes.

There was no rain, so no point in really setting out lines, or anything else, but this setup was good to go as it was.

The kids had a blast, and had no issues climbing the ladder themselves, which saved some work with forgotten toys, etc. On the return trip, there were a few bugs… And this was only within 200 miles or so.

The fridge worked without issue, running the whole time. The battery stayed nice and charged and everything worked great. Except that any time we crested 80mph, the needle for the fuel gauge about fell off. I’m guessing because it’s a 2007 FJ, also with the brick mounted to the roof. But I think in the very near future will be an auxiliary tank.

Also, my antenna was not put back on properly after my line-x, and on the rive home it fell off on the freeway. Blah! So I ordered a new one, a stubby one. Didn't think anything of it until it arrived, and it wasn't stubby so much as micro. It's maybe 5", and my reception blows, I thought it might be a foot, but I didn't read well enough I guess. Sorry for the picture, I don't have access to my truck right now.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
So there are large gaps between work that I can do on the FJ, being deployed and all. My wife messaged me last night saying that the FJ wouldn't turn on. Absolutely nothing, no lights, nothing.

Had her flip the switch for the dual battery, started just fine. So I was happy I got to test it out, not happy that it had to be tested..... A proper battery trickle charger will be on its way soon. Suggestions?

21 - 38 of 38 Posts