Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everybody! First time poster here, long time thread lurker.

I bought my FJ about a year ago and I am now taking it across the country for a 3,200 mile road trip. I live in Massachusetts and am going to California, where I go to school.

My Fj is bone stock besides plastidipping the silver parts of the bumpers and grill to black and installing black Tundra door handles. I also am planning on building a cargo box that I saw on a thread on here. It'll hold skiing/climbing equipment as well as function as a sleeping platform.

Now, my questions are many and I was hoping some of you could help me out. Are there any recommended mods that I should do that might make my trip easier? I have a naked roof but I've been thinking about tracking down a rack and building a portable road shower. I was also thinking about a rotopax/Jerry can set up to hold auxiliary water and gas. Secondly, I don't really know a whole lot about car maintenance besides changing oil/tires/coolant, so any advice on things I should learn before such a long trip would be great.

Lastly, any advice about places to visit would be fantastic. I'm open to any suggestions, especially those in Wyoming, Utah, Iowa, and Nebraska. Thanks everyone! :cheers:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Take it to a mechanic and make sure your breaks are good, your air filters are new and your fluids are good. Map out the best burger joints along the route to stop by. Have a cellphone charger. Get a dashcam. Make sure your spare is good and you know lift points on the FJ and that your jack is still in the back compartment (and you can get to it when FJ is packed).

The truth is you're doing a road trip, no need to rush mods until you know what you want. This isn't an overland off road expedition so as long as your rig is sound, you will be fine. We've done several 3000-4000 trips in our stock FJ and it was fine. Gas is probably the biggest issue, you probably just need to get used to how far below E you can drive your FJ!

·
Registered
177 Posts

I bought my FJ about a year ago and I am now taking it across the country for a 3,200 mile road trip. I live in Massachusetts and am going to California, where I go to school.

My Fj is bone stock besides plastidipping the silver parts of the bumpers and grill to black and installing black Tundra door handles. I also am planning on building a cargo box that I saw on a thread on here. It'll hold skiing/climbing equipment as well as function as a sleeping platform.

Now, my questions are many and I was hoping some of you could help me out. Are there any recommended mods that I should do that might make my trip easier? I have a naked roof but I've been thinking about tracking down a rack and building a portable road shower. I was also thinking about a rotopax/Jerry can set up to hold auxiliary water and gas. Secondly, I don't really know a whole lot about car maintenance besides changing oil/tires/coolant, so any advice on things I should learn before such a long trip would be great.

Lastly, any advice about places to visit would be fantastic. I'm open to any suggestions, especially those in Wyoming, Utah, Iowa, and Nebraska. Thanks everyone! :cheers:

Im sorry i didnt notice where u were starting from.. but last May I went across the country on the TAT (transamtrail) a slow back road/dirt /gravel/ farm road route. Camped almost the entire trip . You can buy maps/ gps route for the trip. My trip was interrupted by snow at high altitudes. Highly recommend if your not in a hurry. Stock fj is fine as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

Welcome! I'd suggest keeping the roof of the FJ as naked as possible, to preserve what little aerodynamics the FJ has and keep MPG up. A swing out bumper could hold extra gas/water, but they're pricey. I'd suggest adding some extra 12v sockets to keep phone/gps/etc. charged on long journeys. If you're looking for a more comfortable highway experience, you might consider adding sound deadening to the interior as well.
If you're going through Nebraska on I-80 and are interested in aviation/space, stop at the SAC museum in Ashland. They've got a great collection of air and space craft and memorabilia, including an SR-71! Also, stop for food at Chez Bubba in Goehner (few minutes off the interstate), it's a very good barbecue/burger place.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Why are you looking for places in Iowa and Nebraska? Unless your route is to take I-80 all the way through then you won't find much exciting here. If you are coming through then you should stop at the worlds largest truckstop in Walcott just to say you've been there. Other than that be prepared to look at a lot of fields.

·
Registered
106 Posts
We did a 3 week/6000 mile trip to Summit last year. X2 on the brakes, check/change all fluids (depending on how many miles on your FJ), grease all zerks. Highly recommend satellite radio. We were in southwest and FM stations were hard to find and didn't always have cell service for Pandora,etc. Make sure to adjust headlights if loading down your rig otherwise you will be blinding on coming traffic.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Edit - I don’t know where the hell all the asterisks came from, but ignore them.

I have made the drive from California to Virginia about 7 times in the past couple years, it can be really fun.

+1 on all that has been said about making sure it's in tip-top shape before heading out.**Grease zerks, check serpentine belt, change the battery if it's ever given you trouble lately, etc.**Also make sure your spare tire is good, and you have the tools to change it (tire iron, jack, etc).**A can of tire sealant thrown in somewhere can be a 3rd-tier backup just in case.**Always a good idea to bring tools along.**One time I had to change an alternator in the parking lot of a hotel since it just randomly died on us (it was a 2002ish GMC yukon XL).**

+1 on the gas cans, you'll never know when you need it (do NOT store them inside the car).**On one of my drives out to Virginia, we were on an incline on the 40 somewhere in either New Mexico or near Oklahoma (can't remember where)...but the highway was a one-lane road, with a huge center divider and no shoulder.**Some meth head in an old, neglected cherokee was towing a small trailer and ran out of gas on the incline.**He was about 15-20 cars ahead of me.**Because of the center divider and the lack of shoulder (it was just a cliff), nobody could pull off on the shoulder and get around him...everybody was stuck waiting.**Eventually some lady was over it so she went around to each car asking for gas, and it turns out I was a hero for 5 mins.**Gave him a few gallons of gas and everybody was on their way in 10 minutes versus waiting around forever.**Saved a HUGE headache.

Be sure to make it easy on yourself and stock up on your vices -- caffeine, nicotine, etc.**The less stops you have to make the better.**

Also, take a few mins to check the weather forecast and make sure you're appropriately prepared (i.e. tires, chains, etc).**In Dec of 2016, I drove back on the I40W...and 40 miles of the highway were closed due to miles of icy roads...MILES of ice patches.**Had to take a detour out in the middle of nowhere...did not see a single sign of civilization for like 1.5 hours.**Getting back onto the I-40, there was an actual graveyard of countless wrecked semi-trucks and cars.**There were like 50 wrecked cars, just waiting to be towed.**That was a freak occurrence in weather, but it never hurts to check.**Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Also, a satellite based GPS unit. When there is no cell service you lose navigation on phones. We had an old Magellan that we took along and it turned out to be one of the best things we brought with us. Used it the whole trip even though there were a few places that the map was outdated.

·
Premium Member
1,870 Posts
Salt Lake City has the Land Cruiser museum . You also have Moab . Nevada there are some great trails that go through old ghost towns . Virgina city is a fun day . Tahoe is a awesome place . If you like climbing you can head up to Smith Rock Oregon . Do not Forget Yosemite . There are many places to check out . Not saying to go on the Rubicon but you could go to the staging area in Tahoe and hike in and watch some . Or head over to Fordyce just out of truckee . If you want a more safe place to play with your fj you could go to Hangtown .

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I agree about NOT getting a roof rack unless you absolutely need to put something up there. Otherwise you are just adding drag and wind noise.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts