Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Looks like 6 of us are going to make the run... Assuming this is the case, with spotting, photo ops, possible lunch stop in the town of Crown King and general fun all around noon is a pipe dream.

I would guestimate that we will wrap up and be back to the starting point (30 minutes from the Pavilions) no sooner than 3pm. Assuming thing go really slowly, we need to make sure we leave the town of Crown King by 3pm to go straight to the Pavilions by 5pm.

Just thought anyone joining us should know.

I am absolutely in for this run.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I am out for this run..
My 50/50 plan changed to a choice between the pavillions or this run so I went with the masses
Sorry once again I can't make a Crown King Run but have fun folks

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's what I was thinking...are you coming???...It's time to give that baby a day off....from you....
Man I want to go. I'll have to be extra nice to the woman to pull this one off.
I take it were headin out Saturday morn? The earlier the better, gotta beat the masses.

·
Registered
517 Posts
OK I'm 90% in...just gotta get my mom to take the kid and I'm bringing the woman with me. Now, if I do like Cliffy, the kid might loose both his parents.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Ok how many people are going on the trail and going to the show?
What time are you guys planning on being at the show?

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
73 Posts
If we leave at 7am, we can be in Crown King for lunch, noon, be down to the starting point, Carefree Hwy, by 2pm. I plan on detailing my truck after and be at the Pavillions by 5pm

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have never been off-roading but I have a FJ. Totally stock FJ to be exact. Is this trip doable for me or is some level of experience needed? If it is doable, do you mind a total beginner tagging along?

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I have never been off-roading but I have a FJ. Totally stock FJ to be exact. Is this trip doable for me or is some level of experience needed? If it is doable, do you mind a total beginner tagging along?
I like total beginners.....so I vote yes....

Let's see what the others think...yes the FJ can do it stock....yes a rookie can do it....it will be a challenge for both unless your pride will allow you to take the bypasses if you are not comfortable....it's a great run...but kinda long....where do you live....I go out weekly and would be happy to take you out to get your feet wet.....a little mini training is a good idea before you tackle this kind of run....then again...4 rookies in stock trucks ran with us last time and had no troubles(quiet Cliffy:) )

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Absolutely! We are a friendly bunch. I will be there in my essentially stock FJ (stock suspension, drive train, tires) and have no worries, you should be fine too. Recall that the FJ kicks silly butt out there!

I do not mind a n00b tagging along, and welcome it. You will get no flack from anyone in our group for it being your first time out. Do what you're comfortable with, and it'll be a great time! :)

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
I like total beginners.....so I vote yes....

Let's see what the others think...yes the FJ can do it stock....yes a rookie can do it....it will be a challenge for both unless your pride will allow you to take the bypasses if you are not comfortable....it's a great run...but kinda long....where do you live....I go out weekly and would be happy to take you out to get your feet wet.....a little mini training is a good idea before you tackle this kind of run....then again...4 rookies in stock trucks ran with us last time and had no troubles(quiet Cliffy:) )
Hey let's do Table Mesa on Friday night, eh? I won't be able to leave Tucson until 6:30 or so though... maybe too late considering Crown King is at 7:00 the next morning... hmm...

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Hey let's do Table Mesa on Friday night, eh? I won't be able to leave Tucson until 6:30 or so though... maybe too late considering Crown King is at 7:00 the next morning... hmm...
I AM doing Table Mesa friday night!!!! so hit me on ch#16 if you DO come out....

·
Registered
3 Posts
It sounds like you guys will be on a pretty tight timeline to make it to the Pavillon show afterwards so maybe it isn't the best idea for me to tag along on this trip. I would hate to be the dude slowing down the train. I live in Glendale. If you don't mind going out for a mini-training session sometime then I would definately be up for that.

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
It sounds like you guys will be on a pretty tight timeline to make it to the Pavillon show afterwards so maybe it isn't the best idea for me to tag along on this trip. I would hate to be the dude slowing down the train. I live in Glendale. If you don't mind going out for a mini-training session sometime then I would definately be up for that.
I am also in Glendale...59/Olive....so anytime!!!!!
And don't feel you shouldn't go for any of the reasons you listed.....come along if ya want....we can drag ya thru the hard stuff:grinbiginvert: :grinbiginvert:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had 38 miles on my FJ when it first found its way to Crown King and it was as stock as they get and I had never seen the trail before. If you decide to go you will be just fine.

There are a few spots that are optional that get pretty nasty. The majority of people I have seen wheeling this trail skip this spot anyway.

Either way you are very welcome to join us and we should be fine for timing to the pavilions assuming we have no mechanical issues.

Hope to see you at either or BOTH events.
Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
Dutch FJ, you'll be fine on this trip. No pressure to do anything you do not want to do.

I too took my FJ up there when it only had 300 miles on it and totally stock, with no problem

I've done this run about 100 times over the last 20 years, it's a blast you'll have a great time. If we leave at 7 or 7:30 we will have PLENTY of time to make it back to the Pavillions by 5 and maybe time for a little nap before.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I Do Not Have A Cb Yet. I Was Wanting To Purchase And Install Before The Run And Just Have Not Had Time. I Have Couple Of Motorola Walkie Talkies I Plan On Bringing.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts