Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
**UPDATE 11/27**

Josh and I are planning a day run up to Prescott via Crown King next Sunday to test out some new goodies on the FJ, and just for fun. Weather permitting (right now it's looking like rain/snow the day before and the day after) we will leave at 9am, cruise up and have some lunch maybe at the Gurley Street Grill, hit up some shops or whatever then eventually head back to Phoenix via the 17.

If anyone is looking for a leisurely trail run before Holiday madness ensues, please feel free to join us. Please note we have changed the departure time so we can (hopefully) get to Prescott around lunch time!

Phoenix to Prescott via Crown King
Meet at the Quick Trip, west of I-17 and Thunderbird Rd @ 0830 to fuel up and get supplies before a 0900 departure
We will be on AZFJ CB Channel: 16

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh no!

You must make every effort to get to Sedonafest!!

No worries, we like to go up to Prescott a lot, so I'm sure we will be making another run up after the first of the year.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you taking the Backroad up to Crown King? Or the Senator Highway from Crown King over to Prescott? I might be up for either...I need to get out!

FYI last time we did the Backroad we started at QT at 0700 and made Crown King around noon, and we wasted no time!
I think we were planning on just doing Senator Highway to Prescott, but sometime in the near future I'd like to do the entire "backroute" run.

When you say you started at QT and didn't get to Crown King until noon was that the back way from Phoenix or going up the 17 to Bumble bee?

·
Downwind
645 Posts
That timing was coming if from around Lake Pleasant and then up the Backroad into CrownKing. Then we went to I17 straight from CK and then to the pavilions show :)

I like your idea of a loop though, via the Senator Hwy! Sounds like fun. I've never been to Prescott and dirt roads are always the best way to go anywhere!

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm still curious why it took you 5 hours from Phoenix to Crown King the back way....according to google maps it's a little over 2 hours @ 67 miles. Was the road bad or?

Anywho, we are still on for Sunday I'm trying to figure out the exact route now. It looks like you can hit Senators Highway without even going through Crown King. I don't know if this is they typical route everyone takes or not. I'll try to update the first post today with more info!

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
I'm still curious why it took you 5 hours from Phoenix to Crown King the back way....according to google maps it's a little over 2 hours @ 67 miles. Was the road bad or?

Anywho, we are still on for Sunday I'm trying to figure out the exact route now. It looks like you can hit Senators Highway without even going through Crown King. I don't know if this is they typical route everyone takes or not. I'll try to update the first post today with more info!
We went the Castle hot springs Rd. to Crown King run....it might be 67 miles but going 10 mph is pushing it...going Bumble Bee Rd. to CK is an easy 1.5 hours from my house in Glendale....Totaly different drives....

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, wow thanks for the info! I'd still like to do that route one day all the up to Prescott. Maybe next year we can plan an excursion and camp overnight in Prescott then head back to Phoenix the next day.

First post has been updated with departure info!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Hmmmm, that is a football Sunday, but let me check with Dan. Since we weren't sure if i could offroad and now we know I can and this is mainly a dirty road anyway....... I'll let you know if we are going or not!

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Since we weren't sure if i could offroad and now we know I can and this is mainly a dirty road anyway.......
Your little tyke was conceived being bounced around.

When we off roaded, Deb said Mike to be would get all mellow.
Then when he was born, we really bounced him.
Now he has 2 offroaders, dirtbikes and is always out there.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Your little tyke was conceived being bounced around.

When we off roaded, Deb said Mike to be would get all mellow.
Then when he was born, we really bounced him.
Now he has 2 offroaders, dirtbikes and is always out there.
Well, the newborn in Ouray at the Summit might want to go on trails.......:)

I think it was the strangest question my doctor had ever got, he looked a little confused.......:silly:

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
I think it was the strangest question my doctor had ever got, he looked a little confused.......:silly:
Yeah I'm sure, prolly the only question most ask is; How the frik did this happen? And can I still do crack??

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, I'm keeping my eye on the weather. Looks like there is still a 40% chance of rain up there Friday and Saturday, partly cloudy Sunday w/ 10% chance and a high of 56. I see the snow warning went away though, we will see what changes as the week progresses.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bummer, this would be a perfect time to test out the new tires.....too bad they are sitting in the garage without wheels to put them on!! :disgust:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts