Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a thread about cruise control but did not want to hijack the thread. I'm a bit older and have lived in many places across Canada (flat and mountains) and as such I have never really got in the habit of using this feature.

Perhaps because I am older, I have not used cruise control very much. I use to be a professional driver (trucks) and also did some backwoods logging...so cruise control was not that much of a choice.

Actually...I just love driving and releasing control to the truck did not appeal to me.

So....my question is....are you a cruise control type of person?

Myself, I love shifting...even my new automatic...I do it by ear....listening to the engine. I do not shift each and every gear, but rather decide when to down shift on hills for hill climbing and engine braking etc.

Cheers,

Jim

·
FJ Expeditions R Us
4,084 Posts
My wife uses it constantly to keep from going too fast! She has a lead foot...

I use it on trips because I have a fused right ankle and holding the gas pedal hurts!

cheers,

dale

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
I use cruise on the flats but turn it off in the hills. A careful driver can get better mileage in the hills without cruise control.

Reactions: Little Joe

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I keep it at 6th gear with the cruise on, mostly to save some mpg and to also keep the speed down a bit.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I don't use the cruise control. Unless you have no traffic the road is smooth and flat, I can't really find a use for it. It tends to get on it on inclines which isn't good for your mpg. I get better gas mileage by not using the cruise control.

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
I use it whenever the conditions and the road allow it. Not in the mountains or in traffic, typically only on long trips, especially if I want to move my legs around to keep them from falling asleep.

DEWFPO

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
If I had more than 30 miles of road to drive on I know I would use it more, but by the time I get to a speed zone over 50 MPH (all 5 miles of it)...I'm out of friggin road:mecry:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I use it a lot on the highway.

·
The Laughing Member
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2021 4Runner, 2002 Lexus SC420
9,119 Posts
Unless you have no traffic the road is smooth and flat, I can't really find a use for it. It tends to get on it on inclines which isn't good for your mpg. I get better gas mileage by not using the cruise control.
X2. I think the only time I've ever used it was on that boring stretch of I-70 across Kansas. Engaged the cruise control, bungee-corded the steering wheel to hold a straight line, and napped for 5 hours. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
I use cruise control - alot....heck, I will even use it in the city to avoid speeding. I find the FJ is one easy vehicle to speed in, and you don't even 'feel' like your speeding. :)

·
Registered
8,128 Posts
Mine goes kind of like this:

I set it at about 58. I hit the slightest grade, and it drops to 57mph. So it downshifts, and i end up at like 65, then it lets off the gas to get back to 58. But it doesn't hit 58, it ends up at like 55.

Repeat process.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts