Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need help for cruise control installation

Hello everyone. This forum looks like a great help for Toyota owners. So, I hope I find the help I need here.
I have a 2011 FJ cruiser with manual transmission, and without cruise control. I read in the link http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/20521-fj-cruise-control-installed-2.html that installing one is just a plug and play job. So, I bought OEM cruise control switch and harness, and I did install them as described in the link. Unfortunately, it didn’t work:mecry:. It turns out that I don’t have a cruise control light in the instrument panel. So, after searching the net for some clues, I read the installation instructions for Roastra cruise control. It mentioned that if it doesn’t work, I should connect a wire between pin2 of E46 connector in the ECM and pin1 of spiral wire under the steering wheel. I looked at the ECM in my FJ and couldn’t recognize which connector is E46. The connectors look different from those in the illustration. Can anyone tell for sure which one is pin2 of E46 connector and mark it on the attached photo?
I really appreciate any help. Thanks.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one is interested in helping out I guess. The subject may be too boring!
Would anyone happen to have cruise control section of 2011 FJ repair manual?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
I am not sure if any newer service manuals than the 07 are on the net, but here is the link to the 07 wiring diagram PDF... maybe you can see which one might be the E46 and see if the colors match up to the instructions you have for the 11.... or somebody with actual pertinent information may still chime in!

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/FJ/EWD/EM0240U/EWD.pdf

From your pics it looks like it would be the 4th one down before the big gap... doesnt look like we can see the wire since pin 2 looks to be one of the inner ports. It seems like the orientation from the E46 diagram and picture are different.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
No one is interested in helping out I guess. The subject may be too boring!
Would anyone happen to have cruise control section of 2011 FJ repair manual?
It's not that we aren't interested in helping, it is that we (or "I", at least) have no idea how to help. :)

This is an uncommon question, so give it some time and somebody just might have the answer.

Good luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have 07 manual. The ECM connectors on my FJ are totally different from whats in the manual. And I think matching the wire color is dangerous. It could do major damage. So, I prefer to wait to find 2011 ECM diagram.
Thanks for your thoughts, anyway.

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
Gotcha. Good to know!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the diagram for ECM connectors on 2011 FJ. I guess I should connect pin5 of spiral connector to pin11 of E77. I hope it works then. The only thing that worries me is the non existent CC light. I wonder if this will affect the circut of cc operation! :(

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm trying to do the same MOD to a 2010 FJ. Did you manage to get it to work when you wired to pin 11 of E77?? Could you please post an update if any.
Cheers..

·
Banned
9,090 Posts
There is a cruise control light it's just not in the same place on the newer trucks. There are some significant changes between 07-09 and 10 + trucks. It's obvious that there are differences in the install from the post you refer too but did you order 10+ parts or 07-09 parts? The parts (including wiring) are likely different.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am looking at the parts diagram for the 2010 model, and noticed a "Clutch Switch". Which I think meant to disconnect the Cruise Control when the clutch is depressed. My question is, do I need to get this switch too (I have a 6MT) or is it already there. And if I need to get it, how does it connect up to the rest of the system?
Help is appreciated...

Attachments

·
Registered
175 Posts
Subscribing, as I'm in the same boat - 2010 6MT without cruise control (and I really miss it)

·
Premium Member
3,401 Posts
I am looking at the parts diagram for the 2010 model, and noticed a "Clutch Switch". Which I think meant to disconnect the Cruise Control when the clutch is depressed. My question is, do I need to get this switch too (I have a 6MT) or is it already there. And if I need to get it, how does it connect up to the rest of the system?
Help is appreciated...
The clutch cancel switch is to allow you to start the engine without the clutch depressed. This is meant for offroad on a hill climb, where you may have stalled and cannot push the clutch, brake and gas pedal all at the same time.
It has nothing to do with cruise control. Infact on the 6MT, if cruise is engaged and you depress the clutch, the engine will rev (I have done it on mine to see).
And you should have this switch already, it is stock for 6MTs

·
Registered
251 Posts
Re: Need help for cruise control installation

Hello everyone. This forum looks like a great help for Toyota owners. So, I hope I find the help I need here.
I have a 2011 FJ cruiser with manual transmission, and without cruise control. I read in the link http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/interior-exterior-visual-tech/20521-fj-cruise-control-installed-2.html that installing one is just a plug and play job. So, I bought OEM cruise control switch and harness, and I did install them as described in the link. Unfortunately, it didn’t work:mecry:. It turns out that I don’t have a cruise control light in the instrument panel. So, after searching the net for some clues, I read the installation instructions for Roastra cruise control. It mentioned that if it doesn’t work, I should connect a wire between pin2 of E46 connector in the ECM and pin1 of spiral wire under the steering wheel. I looked at the ECM in my FJ and couldn’t recognize which connector is E46. The connectors look different from those in the illustration. Can anyone tell for sure which one is pin2 of E46 connector and mark it on the attached photo?
I really appreciate any help. Thanks.
:)
I installed mine on my 2008 no problem. It was just plug and play. I would have a hard time believing that there is not a light for it in the dash, as I think cruise control is added at the port of entry into the US. Sorry I can't be of more help.:cheers:

·
Registered
33 Posts
The clutch cancel switch is to allow you to start the engine without the clutch depressed. This is meant for offroad on a hill climb, where you may have stalled and cannot push the clutch, brake and gas pedal all at the same time.
It has nothing to do with cruise control. Infact on the 6MT, if cruise is engaged and you depress the clutch, the engine will rev (I have done it on mine to see).
And you should have this switch already, it is stock for 6MTs

Hmmm... not sure if it is the same thing. Look at the attached drawing, items A9 and A25. There seem to be a dedicated clutch switch to the Cruise Control.

I found it is only ~ 15$ for this switch, I think I will buy it anyway and see if I will end up using it or not. Hopefully it is there already.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cancruiser.. make sure you have a cruise control light on your dash board before you do anything else. Mine didn't work because of that. By the way, my 2011 FJ is not a US model.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cancruiser.. make sure you have a cruise control light on your dash board before you do anything else. Mine didn't work because of that. By the way, my 2011 FJ is not a US model.
and how do I find out if I have one if it isn't operational yet? Can it be installed later if it is not there??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you look close enough to your dashboard in daylight, you will be able to see the indicator shade. It should be to the right of speed dial.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just FYI, the dash is most likely different as our 08 (manufactured in 06/08) and our 09 (08/08) have different light placements...so I would believe they changed it again and again and again

·
Registered
15 Posts
I instaled cruie control in my 2006 fj it was a plug...after.... I just had to plug it... I used th toyota cruise control switch..

Steps
1 remove airbg assembly there are 2 bolt covers on the steering (unplug battery)
2 bolt switch
3 plug and test
4 re assemble
It took 30 min max

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just a quick update here. I installed the CC on my 2010 6MT (CDN specs) without a problem. Took less than 30 minutes and works like a charm. Thanks to all who contributed and provided help.

One thing though, I had to drill the RH cover that covers the T30 screw in order to allow the CC stalk to pass. Does anyone have the part number for OEM cover that is made for vehicles with factory installed CC??

1 - 20 of 73 Posts