Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Just a quick update here. I installed the CC on my 2010 6MT (CDN specs) without a problem. Took less than 30 minutes and works like a charm. Thanks to all who contributed and provided help.

One thing though, I had to drill the RH cover that covers the T30 screw in order to allow the CC stalk to pass. Does anyone have the part number for OEM cover that is made for vehicles with factory installed CC??
Cancruiser, you got it to work. Good for you. May be I should go over my work and see what I done wrong.
BTW do you have a CC indicator in your dashboard and does it light up when engaged?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cancruiser, you got it to work. Good for you. May be I should go over my work and see what I done wrong.
BTW do you have a CC indicator in your dashboard and does it light up when engaged?
Yes and Yes... The indicator is green and says "Cruise"
It was a very simple installation, just remove and replace.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to add cruise to my 2013 base model fj it's a UAE model and doesn't have a cruise control light on the dash.

I have already tried to add the arm and it hasn't worked. Is there another fix for this???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anyone knows if this'll work on a 14? It has the blue tooth controls on the right of the steering which has me stumped as to whether the cruise control is the same or not.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
Bump... My '14 6MT UAE model is waiting for me to pick up from the dealer.
Not a big issue but would be nice to have!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I think I read every tread and whatched hours of youtube in order to find out, whether it works to do aftermarket install of a 15$ switch from China. I have a Japanmodel 2011 with Difflock and already successfully fixed a atrac switch. So I was confident.
I have the radiocontrols in the steering and therefore the harness has to be modified. Ultimately I nearly gave up, before I measured, where I have life and ground on the 12 pin socket. And then it was easy. In the lower row, the most right connection is always life and used for the horn. The second from right in that row is Life when ignition is on. And the next one is ground. So I just used these direct connections, took the little connectors out of the harness, which came with the switch and fixed them into the existing harnessplug in the position second and third from right. On ignition, press the switch and had the signal in the dash. Fixed back the cover with airbag and horn and testdrive. works. Happy. Great hints in the forum. Thanks guys, you gave me confidence.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
I'm back onto this - UAE Model 6MT with no lights on the dash...
It looks like it's impossible/impractical without the dash lights?
The switch is cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just to confirm to others - I have successfully installed Rostra 250-1732 cruise control in FJ Cruiser 2013 (AT, UAE Base model - so no power mirrors, no cruise control).

Installation was plug'n'play and required only attaching two wires from the control arm to the connector under the airbag. There was no need to add any additional wires to ECM etc. So the whole job was done in 20mins.

Btw - same goes for power mirrors, I have simply added a $8 switch on the dashboard (there is already space for it, so no cutting/drilling) and aftermarket power mirrors ($100). Whole installation was also about 30mins and quite straightforward as there is already a prewiring that you only connect to with connectors (so again no cutting/soldering required).

So for $300 in total I have added both cruise control and power mirrors.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
Just to confirm to others - I have successfully installed Rostra 250-1732 cruise control in FJ Cruiser 2013 (AT, UAE Base model - so no power mirrors, no cruise control).

Installation was plug'n'play and required only attaching two wires from the control arm to the connector under the airbag. There was no need to add any additional wires to ECM etc. So the whole job was done in 20mins.

Btw - same goes for power mirrors, I have simply added a $8 switch on the dashboard (there is already space for it, so no cutting/drilling) and aftermarket power mirrors ($100). Whole installation was also about 30mins and quite straightforward as there is already a prewiring that you only connect to with connectors (so again no cutting/soldering required).

So for $300 in total I have added both cruise control and power mirrors.
Sweet!
Can you post a link for the cruise control & power mirrors that you used?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sweet!
Can you post a link for the cruise control & power mirrors that you used?
cruise control - it was Rostra 250-1732, and I got it from eBay US, from a guy called 'kartronix'. In the package I received both control arm and the additional harness (which I didn't have to use)

power mirrors - I got it also from eBay US, from 'everydayautoparts' but here I will warn you that I was quite disappointed with the quality. First of all the mirror glass was different to what you have in original mirrors - right was fine, but left had some strange zoom-in effect and I couldn't drive using it. So I took it out and then I've spotted second major issue - the internal mechanism/mirror glass attachment was different in original and here. So I had to remove the glass from the new mirror and tried putting old glass instead into that frame. But then I faced third problem - as size of glass was slightly different too (not much - I'd say by 3-4mm - but it was enough that I couldn't put old glass inside). Finally using some mad DIY skills I glued the old glass to the new mirror and it's working somehow now but I would definitely recommend to pay a bit more and get something that resembles original mirrors, and is not the cheapest option on eBay. Still it works, as all pre-wiring was there in my FJ, so effectively you only have to put switch on one end, and aftermarket power mirrors on the other end.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
cruise control - it was Rostra 250-1732, and I got it from eBay US, from a guy called 'kartronix'. In the package I received both control arm and the additional harness (which I didn't have to use)

power mirrors - I got it also from eBay US, from 'everydayautoparts' but here I will warn you that I was quite disappointed with the quality. First of all the mirror glass was different to what you have in original mirrors - right was fine, but left had some strange zoom-in effect and I couldn't drive using it. So I took it out and then I've spotted second major issue - the internal mechanism/mirror glass attachment was different in original and here. So I had to remove the glass from the new mirror and tried putting old glass instead into that frame. But then I faced third problem - as size of glass was slightly different too (not much - I'd say by 3-4mm - but it was enough that I couldn't put old glass inside). Finally using some mad DIY skills I glued the old glass to the new mirror and it's working somehow now but I would definitely recommend to pay a bit more and get something that resembles original mirrors, and is not the cheapest option on eBay. Still it works, as all pre-wiring was there in my FJ, so effectively you only have to put switch on one end, and aftermarket power mirrors on the other end.
Perfect - Thanks for that!
I just bought the cruise control on Amazon for $129. The mirrors don't worry me too much - I might have a look for some used parts locally for those.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
@dzeydzey I just received my kit for cruise control. It doesn't have any indicator light on it - how do you know it's engaged?

Just so I'm clear - yours is a GCC spec 6MT, right?

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I'm trying to add cruise to my 2013 base model fj it's a UAE model and doesn't have a cruise control light on the dash.

I have already tried to add the arm and it hasn't worked. Is there another fix for this???
Did you get a fix for this?

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
So any success with it?
In my case it was very straightforward. Just remember when you test it you have to go at least I think 40km/h.
Not yet. It's still in the bubble wrap. I'll have some time next week.... maybe....

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
So any success with it?
In my case it was very straightforward. Just remember when you test it you have to go at least I think 40km/h.
OK, So I had an hour and physically installed it, plugged the wires etc, and no joy, so I went through the troubleshooting steps to discover that the cruise harness isn't installed on mine - no drama. I connected the earth and ECU wires to the plug in the steering wheel housing as instructed, but ran out of time, so I now need to run the ECU wire and connect that end of it, and run the earth to the body earth point and connect that - probably another hour's worth of work.
Hopefully I don't need to hook up the clutch switch (the switch is in the car, but not connected to a harness - and there's no clutch cancel switch on the dash, So I guess that's permanently canceled at the ECU because I don't have to push the clutch in to start the engine.

·
Desert Moderator
6,218 Posts
Update - the included instructions I received with the control were vague at best when it comes to which pin to connect and how to identify the E46 connector, but I just downloaded updated instructions off the Rostra website and it's a lot clearer. All wires are routed & all connected except the one to the ECU, which I will try today. I'll update on success/failure. If my FJ catches fire, I'll take photos...

Update 1: No dice - the diagrams are for 07-09... Different ECU in the '10+...

21 - 40 of 51 Posts