Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
However we will wait for toyota technical , maybe he can help us.
Here in Saudi Arabia no one of the company employees wants to help us !!
They want to get you to buy a car with full options to pay them more money !!
Try the following, (starting from the steps that you did not accomplish yet):
1) Install the aftermarket Cruise Control Switch
2) Wire the negative in the 12-pole connector, pin no.4 (after the steering wheel spring) and ground it to a screw just around there
3) Wire the cruise control signal (pin no.5 of the same connector) and pull the wire until under the glove box, let it arrive just close the ECM.
4) Make sure that the wire at the ECM side ends with a pin exactly similar to that one which You clipped in the steering wheel side connector.
5) Make sure that You will be somehow able to recognize this CC signal wire in future
6) Close the glove box, close the steering wheel shroud.
7) Go to Toyota and pretend that You bought your car with the Cruise Control by OEM and just now it started not working. Swear this is the truth :) and get it fixed by them.
8) Test the Cruise Control in the trip back to home
9) Report if successful, including picture of where they plugged the CC-switch signal wire in the ECM

Good Luck! You can do it!! ???

·
Desert Moderator
6,723 Posts
My friend, this looks a hard thing to get... I mean, destiny against us. but i'm still confident :)
The guy who promised to help me (by forwarding the request to some not better defined "Dubai technical support staff") is now quarantined due to suspected contact with someone...blablabla...
So, meanwhile we wait for him to be back to work, as You are from Dubai (or at least, so it looks like to me...) We might try to work both, in parallel, on two fronts.
Apparently our models (2012-2014 MTM GCC FJs) are equipped with a strange "8966135k90" ECM whose terminals' design does not look like in the other FJ's.
The question (to anybody at the Toyota Technical Staff - Dubai) would be "Dear, pls. could You browse the electric maintenance manual of my 2012-2014 Manual GCC FJ and send me a printscreen of the ECM terminals design & legenda?"
If by doing this You don't get a clear-enough diagram, try to address Him to the pages of the Cruise-control troubleshooting.
If he wants a bribe, we can share the expense. But if the image doesn't match our ECM, we will want our money back :) :) :)

I'll let You know if from my side i can get something...
Awesome - Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
I figured that out and which pin to connect it to on the ECU, but I messed the terminal up, so I need a replacement terminal for the ECU connection. There is also a possibility that I need to connect the clutch switch. The Cruise indicator is another ECU connection, but I don't think that will be required to make it work.

The connector is the 2nd to top (E77), and it is position 11 that you need to push the terminal into.

The other end of the ECU wire needs to go into the spiral connector along with an earth into the same connector. Let me know if you need to know where that is.
My Friend i found a guy who uses to fix everything...
1) he checked my case and found the right pin where to plug the wire from the steering wheel spiral connector. This was confirmed by running the diagnostics (he plugged the computer to the car and the stick switch was delivering the ON/OFF , UP, DOWN, CANCEL signals to the ECM. This after a couple of unsuccessful attempts due to bad quality of the pins which came with the aftermarket switch stick (you never know if they are fit properly until you can't test them with tester OR by comparing the computer diagnostics). And let me say, it looks exactly the same pin 11 that you have in that picture (it should be the TACOMA ECM connector design) (or maybe the Prado's)
2) By observing the same ECM connector he found that the pin which should be the clutch pedal switch was wired at the ECM side. He watched the pedal root, and the switch is there. Note that the switch must work properly otherwise the cruise control can't be activated (this is part of a safety protocol, he says)
3) Drive test. Cruise control still not working
CONCLUSION: The clutch switch at the pedal's root must be not working

So if You now say that the switch is there, but no harness connected to it... and You always started the car without need of depressing the clutch (as i do as well), at this point i have another question mark: why shall Toyota sell cars with sensors in place but not wired? doesn't this sounds just crazy...??

Can You confirm to me bcs i'm afraid that i might have not understood properly: You saw the switch, but it's not plugged to any harness, so in other words the switch is there but it is doing just the job of a common, blank screw to adjust the mechanical stop of the pedal and nothing else?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Friend i found a guy who uses to fix everything...
1) he checked my case and found the right pin where to plug the wire from the steering wheel spiral connector. This was confirmed by running the diagnostics (he plugged the computer to the car and the stick switch was delivering the ON/OFF , UP, DOWN, CANCEL signals to the ECM. This after a couple of unsuccessful attempts due to bad quality of the pins which came with the aftermarket switch stick (you never know if they are fit properly until you can't test them with tester OR by comparing the computer diagnostics). And let me say, it looks exactly the same pin 11 that you have in that picture (it should be the TACOMA ECM connector design) (or maybe the Prado's)
2) By observing the same ECM connector he found that the pin which should be the clutch pedal switch was wired at the ECM side. He watched the pedal root, and the switch is there. Note that the switch must work properly otherwise the cruise control can't be activated (this is part of a safety protocol, he says)
3) Drive test. Cruise control still not working
CONCLUSION: The clutch switch at the pedal's root must be not working

So if You now say that the switch is there, but no harness connected to it... and You always started the car without need of depressing the clutch (as i do as well), at this point i have another question mark: why shall Toyota sell cars with sensors in place but not wired? doesn't this sounds just crazy...??

Can You confirm to me bcs i'm afraid that i might have not understood properly: You saw the switch, but it's not plugged to any harness, so in other words the switch is there but it is doing just the job of a common, blank screw to adjust the mechanical stop of the pedal and nothing else?
Immediate update:
I knew i couldn't sleep for that tonight, therefore i went down to check this out.
And i came back with same amount of doubts.
There are 2 limit switches in the clutch. One at the beginning of the stroke, one at the end.
A) The one you saw non-harnessed, is at the end of the stroke. If wired, it would prevent the engine from starting unless you depress the clutch until the end.
B) The other one (which i think you did not see) operates at the beginning of the pedal stroke (as you lay a little of pressure with your foot on it) and is the one which makes sense to be needed for the cruise control. And i just saw it's wired, also at the switch side.

So, i will follow the advice of my "Guru" and change the switch B (part no. 88280-14030) and see if it works.

I'll let You know when i will be driving with the feet on the carpet :)

·
Desert Moderator
6,723 Posts
Immediate update:
I knew i couldn't sleep for that tonight, therefore i went down to check this out.
There are 2 limit switches in the clutch. One at the beginning of the stroke, one at the end.
A) The one you saw non-harnessed, is at the end of the stroke. If wired, it would prevent the engine from starting unless you depress the clutch until the end.
B) The other one (which i think you did not see) operates at the beginning of the pedal stroke (as you lay a little of pressure with your foot on it) and is the one which makes sense to be needed for the cruise control. And i just saw it's wired, also at the switch side.

So, i will follow the advice of my "Guru" and change the switch B (part no. 88280-14030) and see if it works.

Some great detective work!
I was just thinking of putting a switch in the dash with 2 positions - start and cruise...
There is a valid reason when offroading to start the car in gear - so you don't have to ride the clutch or over rev to get going - Works best in low range.

·
Registered
2019 FJ Cruiser
32 Posts
I figured that out and which pin to connect it to on the ECU, but I messed the terminal up, so I need a replacement terminal for the ECU connection. There is also a possibility that I need to connect the clutch switch. The Cruise indicator is another ECU connection, but I don't think that will be required to make it work.

The connector is the 2nd to top (E77), and it is position 11 that you need to push the terminal into.

The other end of the ECU wire needs to go into the spiral connector along with an earth into the same connector. Let me know if you need to know where that is.
Do you know where to get the E17 Pins from, I am adding steering controls but the wiring is missing from E17 to E43 so I need to add those from under the steering column to the radio, but I don't know where to get the pins from (pins with existing wires would be good then I could just extend them and pin them in).

Ok.. did some research and found that toyota makes wire repair kits with the pin already crimped and a 160mm wire tail. Wire Repair Kit Toyota P/N: 82998-12870 is for connector E17 (E17 Connector Toyota P/N: 90980–12552)

BTW I have cruise control in my FJ....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Immediate update:

Any update on this?
I was thinking if the issue is related to the ecu in our vehicle does not support cruise control?

·
Registered
2019 FJ Cruiser
32 Posts
Any update on this?
I was thinking if the issue is related to the ecu in our vehicle does not support cruise control?
I don't think so... I have cruise control from factory on my FJ and its 2019, I don't think toyota would have different programs in the ECU for cruise vs non cruise. I think it's more an issue that the wiring and sensors are missing in the harness.

·
Registered
5 Posts
True it comes on all Automatic GCC models, but also all automatic cars comes with different ecu numbers. Since we tried connecting missing harness and sensors and it still does not run i would suspect the ecu version that comes with the manual transmission.

·
Registered
2019 FJ Cruiser
32 Posts
True it comes on all Automatic GCC models, but also all automatic cars comes with different ecu numbers. Since we tried connecting missing harness and sensors and it still does not run i would suspect the ecu version that comes with the manual transmission.
Ah yes probably manual transmission will have different ECU for sure. The thing to check is to see if there was ever an option for cruise control on manual transmission FJ's in GCC spec.

I think I have seen one manual transmission FJ here while looking around for cars and I believe it was a 2014 model, it's quite rare to have a manual here. Maybe some help with the Australian group may identify differences in the ECU between MT and AT.

I am in the process of adding in the steering controls, the wiring from the spiral connector to the radio was missing, so I have ordered some pins and a crimp tool to add them into the wiring harness to the radio. The stock navigation radio is coming out as it is not very good, I have issues with the phone contacts not loading through Bluetooth and I am replacing it with an aftermarket unit. While I am at it will replace the speakers and do some sound dampening in the doors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ah yes probably manual transmission will have different ECU for sure. The thing to check is to see if there was ever an option for cruise control on manual transmission FJ's in GCC spec.

I think I have seen one manual transmission FJ here while looking around for cars and I believe it was a 2014 model, it's quite rare to have a manual here. Maybe some help with the Australian group may identify differences in the ECU between MT and AT.

I am in the process of adding in the steering controls, the wiring from the spiral connector to the radio was missing, so I have ordered some pins and a crimp tool to add them into the wiring harness to the radio. The stock navigation radio is coming out as it is not very good, I have issues with the phone contacts not loading through Bluetooth and I am replacing it with an aftermarket unit. While I am at it will replace the speakers and do some sound dampening in the doors.
I am certain that all GCC spec manual FJ cruisers came without cruiser control option. I’ve seen many and non of them had cruise control, if fact all of them came with very basic options. They didn’t even have electric side mirrors, And they were mainly sold as 2012 & 2013 models and very rare 2014 here in UAE.

·
Desert Moderator
6,723 Posts
I am certain that all GCC spec manual FJ cruisers came without cruiser control option. I’ve seen many and non of them had cruise control, if fact all of them came with very basic options. They didn’t even have electric side mirrors, And they were mainly sold as 2012 & 2013 models and very rare 2014 here in UAE.
yep.
All the offroad bells & whistles, but no electric mirrors or cruise control.
Mine is a '14 manual.

·
Registered
2019 FJ Cruiser
32 Posts
yep.
All the offroad bells & whistles, but no electric mirrors or cruise control.
Mine is a '14 manual.
I have a 2019 Automatic with electric mirrors and cruise control, but the steering controls wiring harness is missing.
Planning on adding those in once I receive the .64III pins in the mail. It's strange that the Manuals don't have those options...

61 - 73 of 73 Posts